PDA

View Full Version : Factory plastic covering/over carpet

njcarting1
04-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Do any of you use the plastic sheets over personal/customer car carpet.I am talking about the "DEALER MUST REMOVE" Stuff that covers the new vehicle carpet."YES YOU CAN BUY THE STUFF IT COMES IN ROLLS WITH A STICKY BACKING"

I use the stuff in the winter time due to the salt/sand/wet conditions here.I just wondered if anyone after cleaning has ever HAD A REQUEST or used it before delivery of a newly detailed car.

Yes it looks tacky, but serves the purpose in nasty conditions. :D

9D4E420
04-21-2009, 09:37 AM
I have never had that request before. It would be a nice addition though. Do you have a link to a site where it can be found.

njcarting1
04-21-2009, 09:46 AM
I have never had that request before. It would be a nice addition though. Do you have a link to a site where it can be found.

I just went on the net and found many places offering the product.I think I have the 4ml heavy one here.It comes in a roll and has the dealer must remove type on the outside.Each sheet is like 2`.5"x3` cut to size, it works best at warmer temps the sticky side is unreal,no clean-up when removing,and just wipe with a damp cloth if it gets dirty while in use.It keeps the sand and mess out of the carpet in nasty weather.Its not costly to buy,and one roll will do many cars.

Troy could be a good seller for you at the store.Many used car dealers use the stuff.:inspector:

Beemerboy
04-21-2009, 09:49 AM
If this is to protect your personal car in the winter...why not buy some rubber mats from a place like weathertech they are super good at protecting the rugs

njcarting1
04-21-2009, 09:57 AM
If this is to protect your personal car in the winter...why not buy some rubber mats from a place like weathertech they are super good at protecting the rugs

I have tried the form fitting mats and hate them. How many times have you had a passenger sit beside you and then UP GOES THE LEFT FOOT ON THE CARPETED HUMP OVER THE TRANNY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CAR.i HAVE USED NEW COLORED TOWELS,AND WASHED AND VAC`ED OUT CARPETS LOTS OF TIMES FROM THIS.I would rather wipe a clear plastic sheet than spot clean carpets,and the towel thing is another story.

Next best thing is ride alone.:dnaughty

Beemerboy
04-21-2009, 10:05 AM
If you look at weathertech they make mats for the whole front and back for most cars and trucks....I hear you about spot cleaning...if the plastic mats are working then I would just leave it alone

njcarting1
04-21-2009, 10:08 AM
If you look at weathertech they make mats for the whole front and back for most cars and trucks....I hear you about spot cleaning...if the plastic mats are working then I would just leave it aloneDon`T get me wrong,I have factory mats and a rubber mat over the plastic sheet.

The fitted ones are good but I guess it`s what ever a person likes.

Just wanted to know if you guys ever had a request for or used it.:cheers:

Tex Star Detail
04-21-2009, 10:35 AM
When I worked in a dealership years ago, I had to put those sticky mats in. They sucked. During the summer months, when I tried to peel them back off, they left sticky residue on the carpet that too forever to remove.

Mr. Clean
04-21-2009, 11:53 AM
When I worked in a dealership years ago, I had to put those sticky mats in. They sucked. During the summer months, when I tried to peel them back off, they left sticky residue on the carpet that too forever to remove.
I wondered about that.

I don`t supply any temporary mats. If I were delivering on an unpaved (concrete) surface I might consider the paper mats which are @ $.10 each. Otherwise, IMO they are just landfill fodder, and plastic would be the worse kind.