PDA

View Full Version : Please Help. I`m frustrated with my paint

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cuspid
04-07-2009, 10:30 PM
When light shines on my paint just right, I see these little dots. I have tried polishing them out with Griots machine polishes, which took out every swirl mark, but the dots are still there. My car has a clear coat.

What are those dots/Speckels?

Is there anyway that the dots are coming from under the clear coat?

The car is a 2002 Ferrari with 5000 miles on it. It is the factory paint job and has not been re-painted. What can I do to solve this?

I took pictures to post, but "The upload failed"

Thank you in advance.

flash gordon
04-07-2009, 10:58 PM
:cool: Its very hard to say without pics.(we just had a thread "having problems posting pics".) Did you clay vehicle? are you using a CLEANER wax? Compound? What color is vehicle? What machine are you using? Are you sure its not just paint overspray"Speckels"(have you had your house/biz painted recently?) :cool::dcrules Sorry 4 all tha????? just tryin to help. If your close to tha ocean fly tha Wife and I out and I will handle that 4 u. NO CHARGE...

flash gordon
04-07-2009, 11:40 PM
:cool: Please excuse my rudeness,I forgot to :welcome: you to "THA FAMILY" hope you stick around.:cool::dance1:headspin:headspin:headspin:da nce1:dcrules

Poorboy
04-08-2009, 08:53 AM
:welcome: ....can you feel these dots or speckles?

what color is the car? Just because you have had it since new does not mean it couldn`t have been repainted at the factory or dealer before you bought it. You have to host a picture somewhere else and then post it... the attachments don`t seem to work for everyone :notme:

Troy@Protekt
04-08-2009, 09:16 AM
When light shines on my paint just right, I see these little dots. I have tried polishing them out with Griots machine polishes, which took out every swirl mark, but the dots are still there. My car has a clear coat.

What are those dots/Speckels?

Is there anyway that the dots are coming from under the clear coat?

The car is a 2002 Ferrari with 5000 miles on it. It is the factory paint job and has not been re-painted. What can I do to solve this?

I took pictures to post, but "The upload failed"

Thank you in advance.

It is very possible these dots are either pitting which can sometimes be fixed with wet sanding or they are coming up from under the clear. Either way I would not recommend trying to fix this yourself.

If it`s pitting then someone who is experienced with wet-sanding needs to tackle the job (if it`s not pitted too deep). If it`s coming from under neath the clear then the only solution is repainting.

Wish I had better news for you.

Welcome to DC. :cheers:

RaskyR1
04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
It is very possible these dots are either pitting which can sometimes be fixed with wet sanding or they are coming up from under the clear. Either way I would not recommend trying to fix this yourself.

If it`s pitting then someone who is experienced with wet-sanding needs to tackle the job (if it`s not pitted too deep). If it`s coming from under neath the clear then the only solution is repainting.

Wish I had better news for you.

Welcome to DC. :cheers:

That`s what I was thinking too Troy. What area of the vehicle are you seeing them on? Is there a color to them? Do you by any chance have a one of those little hand held magnifing glasses? If not you should be able to pick one up at Radio Shack...similar to this.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/mag.jpg

Rasky

Beemerboy
04-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Welcome to the site from Sonoma County CA

Good info so far, but can you feel the dots on the surface of the paint??

You might try using a plastic sandwich bag over your had...palm side down run that over the area where the dots are...can you feel them.

dr_detail
04-08-2009, 11:04 AM
"Doctor, Doctor, I am desprate!! I have this brain tumor and want you to remove it without a catscan...."

Without being able to see the defect in your paint, any or all of our suggestions would be in vain -- we might as well be doing exploratory surgery on your brain...

Now, with that all said, if you`ve been using Groits, you might wanna just step up and purchase some Zymol Royale (http://www.zymol.com/zymolroyaleglaze44oz.aspx). I hear this is by far the best product available at ailing fatwallet syndromes.

9D4E420
04-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the forum form NJ. Enjoy your stay.:welcome::dcrules

flash gordon
04-08-2009, 11:48 AM
"Doctor, Doctor, I am desprate!! I have this brain tumor and want you to remove it without a catscan...."

Without being able to see the defect in your paint, any or all of our suggestions would be in vain -- we might as well be doing exploratory surgery on your brain...

Now, with that all said, if you`ve been using Groits, you might wanna just step up and purchase some Zymol Royale (http://www.zymol.com/zymolroyaleglaze44oz.aspx). I hear this is by far the best product available at ailing fatwallet syndromes.

:cool: I disagree. You can purchase every wax,polish& compound on tha market and it will not correctly remove overspray/pitting. Wipping out tha VISA is not tha answer to all of lifes unpleasantries.I also don`t know how much help a PIC would be. Like Beemer was saying about baggie & thumbnail is a good start(see if you can carefully pick speckels) except I would add maybe some quick shine spray wax. Also keep bucket of suds/mit & hose handy. Keep tha car wet.. I find it hard to believe this car is pitted(5000miles) unless you drove behind gravel truck on interstate. Is this a 1 owner? Iwould bet a double cheeseburger this is just a case of someone using a spray gun to paint exterior of house/biz. Overspray can travel a long way on a windy day(NEIGHBOR) Another thing, are this Speckels on tha car in a uniformal pattern? Good Luck...:cool::headspin:headspin:headspin:dcrules

Cuspid
04-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Can NOT feel the dots!

I am still not able to upload photos, but the moderator tells me that the upload problem will be fixed soon. So please check back often until I get the pictures posted.

You are all so nice. Thank you for the polite welcomes as well as your input.

E's Exteriors
04-08-2009, 04:09 PM
They could just be smaller rock chips(not down to color of primer), but till we see some pics no one here is going to be much help just a lot of speculation.

Beemerboy
04-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Can NOT feel the dots!

I am still not able to upload photos, but the moderator tells me that the upload problem will be fixed soon. So please check back often until I get the pictures posted.

Did you just buy this car and then notice it or something that has come on over time?

If you want to post pics...create an account at photobucket.com and then use the hyper link to paste into the thread...some of can upload from the pics manager and some can`t...I`m in the later of the two.

Beemerboy
04-08-2009, 04:45 PM
They could just be smaller rock chips(not down to color of primer), but till we see some pics no one here is going to be much help just a lot of speculation.

Rock chips that are only into the clear you would be able to feel something

flash gordon
04-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Can NOT feel the dots!

:cool: CRAP...Looks like I owe you a Cheeseburger.:cool::dcrules