PDA

View Full Version : Weird Wally

sfu7274456
04-01-2009, 06:50 PM
I thought I would post up some funny stories from when I used to detail for a living instead of a hobby.

We did mainly dealer cars. We had about 10 different dealers that we did work for. Their was one in particular that we did. It was Weird Wally`s Auto. Now Wally is a great guy and one of the originators of the buy here pay here places. Wally specialized in very low end cars. And naturally he had negotiated a very low price for his details. $55 per car. Talk about cheap now take it this was 20 years ago but still cheap. Wally had a thing he would never buy a car for more than $500. So this gives you and idea of the condition. We would never do the engines because most wouldn`t run if you spit near them. These things were always so oxidized, and some of them would even have rust holes. Buffing them was a real pain, some of them would come out stripped because of the oxidization, and our boss wasn`t willing to do what it would take to get them right. They all just got buffed once with a medium compound, and then a LSP. And quite frankly they weren`t worth it.

So one day I was using some wheel acid on a particularly rusty specimen, one of the guys suggested we use it on the rust on the door panel that had some rust. So we did and it removed the rust stains and the oxidization. So we said lets try the whole car. So we did. Let me tell you it removed all the dirt, rust, and oxidization. One of the buy products was off course it burned the paint, bleached the trim, and god knows what else it damaged, but nobody cared it was just a bomb anyway. Now if the boss saw us do this he would have freaked because of using so much acid. Well going from that point on. When the boss was not around we would just acid the whole car and then throw on some wax. It worked really well, only trick is it would change the color of the car. Usually lighten the paint, but hey it was clean and shiney. So it was the inside joke with us. :rofl

We would do a Wally Special :dnaughty when the boss wasn`t around. Wally would always comment he wasn`t sure what we were doing but is cars always looked so good. But it seemed to him that the color was a little different. We would always just laugh to ourselves.

Disclaimer - I wouldn`t try this on anything that you give a hoot about. :cool:

Troy@Protekt
04-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Acid can actually do wonders without causing damage if used right. I used to dillute my wheel acid down years ago and treat it like a fallout remover and water spot remover. Still do in some cases.

This reminds me of when I used to work for Four Star back in 2000. We had a local dealer who would buy our "bazooka" tire dressing (very high gloss petroleum based dressing) to use as a wax on his cars.:rofl

Pretty funny.:bigups

flash gordon
04-01-2009, 07:09 PM
I thought I would post up some funny stories from when I used to detail for a living instead of a hobby.

We did mainly dealer cars. We had about 10 different dealers that we did work for. Their was one in particular that we did. It was Weird Wally`s Auto. Now Wally is a great guy and one of the originators of the buy here pay here places. Wally specialized in very low end cars. And naturally he had negotiated a very low price for his details. $55 per car. Talk about cheap now take it this was 20 years ago but still cheap. Wally had a thing he would never buy a car for more than $500. So this gives you and idea of the condition. We would never do the engines because most wouldn`t run if you spit near them. These things were always so oxidized, and some of them would even have rust holes. Buffing them was a real pain, some of them would come out stripped because of the oxidization, and our boss wasn`t willing to do what it would take to get them right. They all just got buffed once with a medium compound, and then a LSP. And quite frankly they weren`t worth it.

So one day I was using some wheel acid on a particularly rusty specimen, one of the guys suggested we use it on the rust on the door panel that had some rust. So we did and it removed the rust stains and the oxidization. So we said lets try the whole car. So we did. Let me tell you it removed all the dirt, rust, and oxidization. One of the buy products was off course it burned the paint, bleached the trim, and god knows what else it damaged, but nobody cared it was just a bomb anyway. Now if the boss saw us do this he would have freaked because of using so much acid. Well going from that point on. When the boss was not around we would just acid the whole car and then throw on some wax. It worked really well, only trick is it would change the color of the car. Usually lighten the paint, but hey it was clean and shiney. So it was the inside joke with us. :rofl

We would do a Wally Special :dnaughty when the boss wasn`t around. Wally would always comment he wasn`t sure what we were doing but is cars always looked so good. But it seemed to him that the color was a little different. We would always just laugh to ourselves.

Disclaimer - I wouldn`t try this on anything that you give a hoot about. :cool:

:cool:Thats sooo funny. Thank you for tha laugh :cool: :dcrules

flash gordon
04-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Acid can actually do wonders without causing damage if used right. I used to dillute my wheel acid down years ago and treat it like a fallout remover and water spot remover. Still do in some cases.

This reminds me of when I used to work for Four Star back in 2000. We had a local dealer who would buy our "bazooka" tire dressing (very high gloss petroleum based dressing) to use as a wax on his cars.:rofl

I had a neighbor who use to spray baby oil all over his black BUICK :wall:wall:wall He would constantly try to convince me to do tha same. :cool: :dcrules

Luster
04-01-2009, 07:37 PM
:D:rockon:yay:lmfao:rofl:lol2::yourrock:D

sfu7274456
04-01-2009, 09:41 PM

We were definitely not using it "right" just shooting it on their full strength.

flash gordon
04-01-2009, 09:49 PM
We were definitely not using it "right" just shooting it on their full strength.

:)::rockon:yay:lmfao:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl :rofl:rofl :cool: :dcrules I love it

Mr. Clean
04-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Wierd Wally? Sounds like the subject of a bad joke. :cool:

BenzDetailer
04-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Did he have a cousin in the AeroSpace Industry named Willy? - I think they called him Weird Willy and he was in charge of getting all the rockets Detailed. Did you ever Polish any of Willy`s Rockets. Just Curious?

Mr. Clean
04-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Did he have a cousin in the AeroSpace Industry named Willy? - I think they called him Weird Willy and he was in charge of getting all the rockets Detailed. Did you ever Polish any of Willy`s Rockets. Just Curious?

Don`t you mean Wierd Willy`s Wockets? ;) And that could also be part of a really bad joke.

flash gordon
04-02-2009, 09:48 PM

:cool:your not funny:cool::dcrules

flash gordon
05-09-2009, 11:09 AM
sfu ,you say you have more of these stories.....

I want more,I want more,I want more. :rockon

dave40co
05-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I only polish my own rocket.