PDA

View Full Version : Road Salt

OCDinPDX
03-28-2009, 04:47 PM
So I`m outside Kansas City for school and it`s snowing today so they have plowed and salted the roads. Oregon does not use road salt, my car has NEVER seen it and I am absolutely petrified of driving my car in it, even for 1/2 a mile. All I think of when I see that white salt residue is the salt that tucks itself into the cracks of the undercarriage and every time it gets wet, it rusts out the car from the bottom even long after the snow has melted.

I`d like to go get a sandwich for dinner but that`s 3 or so miles away and I don`t want to drive through it. The salt trucks have driven by three or four times now.

I just don`t think I can do it.

RobertP
03-28-2009, 05:01 PM
That is the number one reason that I do not drive my 99 Suburban in the winter, Im over here in Shawnee not too far from you. I feel your pain!

The bad part is that stuff will stay on the streets until a good rain washes it away, so you may not be driving until the middle of next week if you dont want it on your car getting salt on it.

OCDinPDX
03-28-2009, 05:11 PM
That is the number one reason that I do not drive my 99 Suburban in the winter, Im over here in Shawnee not too far from you. I feel your pain!

The bad part is that stuff will stay on the streets until a good rain washes it away, so you may not be driving until the middle of next week if you dont want it on your car getting salt on it.

Wow...I was just up at Shawnee-Mission Hyundai (75th Street and I-35) yesterday picking up a set of wiper blades.

Well, it`s supposed to warm up and get sunny tomorrow so hopefully the roads will dry out. Then it should rain heavily on Monday and I spend my days at school (from about 7:45 to 3:30) so I`m hoping that will help my situation out. Maybe when the weather warms you and I can meet up briefly and talk detailing.

Thanks, man. I`m glad I`m not the only one who feels this way about salt. I had somebody once tell me it was nothing to worry about. Bull spit...

Edit: Another salt truck just passed the hotel where I`m staying. No way I`m driving now...

RobertP
03-28-2009, 06:35 PM
What school are you going to? JCCC?

RobertP
03-28-2009, 06:45 PM
I had somebody once tell me it was nothing to worry about. Bull spit...

Tell that person they can come look at my old 86 Suburban, its the one I use to drive in crappy weather, over the past couple years the salt has eaten away the new fender trim that I put on new a couple of years ago and ate out most of my rocker panels, all this was with constant cleaning, cant imagine if I didn`t clean it.:(

flash gordon
03-28-2009, 07:18 PM
So I`m outside Kansas City for school and it`s snowing today so they have plowed and salted the roads. Oregon does not use road salt, my car has NEVER seen it and I am absolutely petrified of driving my car in it, even for 1/2 a mile. All I think of when I see that white salt residue is the salt that tucks itself into the cracks of the undercarriage and every time it gets wet, it rusts out the car from the bottom even long after the snow has melted.

I`d like to go get a sandwich for dinner but that`s 3 or so miles away and I don`t want to drive through it. The salt trucks have driven by three or four times now.

I just don`t think I can do it.
:cool::dcrules TIP #1)Get multiple rolls of quarters 4 do it yourself wash. #2) If your budget allows(school) find a place that delievers, there should be multiple choices being in college town.If you have access to fridge and oven/pots-n-pans.Then go to grocery,this is by far tha best choice. Learn 2 cook :cool: :dcrules

Luster
03-28-2009, 07:46 PM
I live in KC also... All you can do is either to live with it or don`t drive...

I`ve lived here all my life and I`ve never had a rust problem...

In the spring I always do the "undercarriage blast" at the coin-op carwash. Some peeps do it after every salting, but I don`t think that`s necessary.

Just do the best you can to keep it clean!;) And don`t forget that undercarriage BLASTER!!!!:yay

OCDinPDX
03-28-2009, 07:47 PM
What school are you going to? JCCC?

Yep. Nice place.

I just drove a block or so for Chinese food. I hope I don`t regret it. :wall

tuscarora dave
03-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Kansas city is reported to have some of the best food in the country, maybe someone will deliver. They use road salt here in pa and somke cars rot and others don`t seem to bad, It seems to me that the ones with a combination of mud and salt rot the worst. My buicvk is a 12 year old pa car with 130,000 miles and has not one visable speck of rust anywhere. But then again it also has rubberized undercoating. good luck

Luster
03-28-2009, 08:10 PM
I know a lot of guys who have "winter beaters". (ie, a $1500 dollar car that will get you to work on snow days.)

I never have done that, but, if you can afford it, it`s not a bad idea!;)

flash gordon
03-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Yep. Nice place.

I just drove a block or so for Chinese food. I hope I don`t regret it. :wall

:cool: I`m sure your car will be just fine. As for Chinese food...:swirly: I`m hoping your not regretting it around 03:00 :cool: :dcrules whatcha in school for anyway?

OCDinPDX
03-29-2009, 01:14 PM
I broke down and took a drive to get a burger. I have failed you.....sort of. I waited until the roads had been plowed and were (mostly) dry. I now have a light spray of salt residue down the sides but nothing that should cause the car to fall apart rusting in the parking lot. I also put a coat of 4-star on before I left so hopefully that will help, too.

Seeing how things shape up with the weather, I might wash it.

PA DETAILER
03-29-2009, 02:11 PM
wow.....you would not drive 4 to 5 month`s in PA. then. heavy salt and anti skid on the roads. great for chipping paint and breaking windshields. you can`t put your vehicle in a bubble, so a heavy wax in the fall before winter hits. then a heavy detail in the spring. i spent 5.5 hours a few weekends ago doing up my wrangler.

other choice is buying a "winter unit".

Johnag4004
03-29-2009, 03:13 PM
I guess us lot over the pond should count ourselves lucky, we don`t use the same kind of road salt, whilst it`s still not great for the body work it doesn`t seem to attach itself to the bodywork...

OCDinPDX
03-29-2009, 10:16 PM
I took her to a do-it-yourself stall tonight and got the salt off. It looks so much better and I`ll actually be able to sleep now. :cool: :rockon