PDA

View Full Version : More newbie questions about detailing

Pages : [1] 2

crumley1
03-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Hey, recently purchased a Torch Red Roush Mustang - overall the car had been taken pretty good care of, but after washing and waxing I did notice that there were several surface scratches on the vehicle - looks mostly to be from towell drying or automated car washes - nothing deep, but enough to keep the car from really shining. So, I`ve been doing a lot of reading - and can honestly say I`m on information overload - so I`m just trying to get a few things straight before I start buying this stuff.

From what I am reading - here`s the sequence that I should go - please let me know if I miss something.

1. Wash - preferably with something that would strip the wax - considering I just waxed it a week ago.
2. Clay - never tried it - so I`m looking forward to it.
3. Paint cleaner (PC)
4. SSR
5. EX or EX-P
6. Wax

I also read that the clay removes that wax - if that`s the case do I need to wash it with a wax stripping formula. Also - I`m really scared of polishing wheels - so, I`d be looking at an orbital buffer or by hand - yeah, I know it won`t be as good - but my dad used to paint cars and I`ve seen my share of paint burns.

I really appreciate everyones input - please feel free to offer up products - it seems like Poorboys has a decent reputation on here - but I am open to suggestions.

Troy@Protekt
03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
You are on the right track. I don`t think you need the paint cleaner before the SSR though. you can go right to SSR after you clay.

Yes the clay will strip the surface clean.

DA polishers are super safe and will correct damage from the improper buffing you have see at your dad`s shop. I wouldn`t recommend trying to perfect your paint by hand. It can be done but you are in for a lot of work and the results probably won`t be as good.

RANDAL
03-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Here goes: wash with dedicated wash mitt and plenty of suds, rinse, dry, clay with lube ( both available from Poorboys as most except machines and pads are not), use spray and wipe for lube, SSRs or pro Polish, followed by polish with Sealant to save a step. Later you can use one of the Nattys waxes, I prefer Red or Blue, but let the PWS cure 3-7 days first. Just my opinion, but its what Ive learned here in DETAIL CITY.

flash gordon
03-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Here goes: wash with dedicated wash mitt and plenty of suds, rinse, dry, clay with lube ( both available from Poorboys as most except machines and pads are not), use spray and wipe for lube, SSRs or pro Polish, followed by polish with Sealant to save a step. Later you can use one of the Nattys waxes, I prefer Red or Blue, but let the PWS cure 3-7 days first. Just my opinion, but its what Ive learned here in DETAIL CITY.

:cool::dcrules Randal has it down. As far as info overload, thats understandable,My advice would be to NOT buy anything for 1 month. Let all this info have time to sink in.Use tha search forums for particular questions you may have,don`t be afraid to ask questions, if u have free time at night(7:00-10:00pm) get on tha chat line. This is were you will find answers to all lifes problems:cool::rofl:rofl:rofl. As far as were to buy product "I`m not tryin to step on toes "SPONSERS" but I would no doubt go with POORBOY(Steve) you are not gonna find anyone here with more product knowledge & patience. :cool: :dcrules just a thought, thats all

crumley1
03-27-2009, 10:17 PM
OK - so now I`m a little confused. I get the wash and clay part - then comes the other stuff - SSR, EX-P, Wax - I think I can even handle the wax, but the SSR and EX-P stuff is getting me. I noticed that Poorboys carries a PwS - that supposedly removes swirl marks and light scratches - could I not just use it instead of the SSR and EX-P - seems like it does the same thing?

Poorboy
03-27-2009, 11:17 PM
OK - so now I`m a little confused. I get the wash and clay part - then comes the other stuff - SSR, EX-P, Wax - I think I can even handle the wax, but the SSR and EX-P stuff is getting me. I noticed that Poorboys carries a PwS - that supposedly removes swirl marks and light scratches - could I not just use it instead of the SSR and EX-P - seems like it does the same thing?

that would depend on application ... are you using a rotary, random orbital (pc), other, or hand?
PwS in pad dependent and will correct with the right combination of machine, pad and speed.
The SSR`s are more job specific, ie SSR2.5 for swirl and scratch removal and SSR1 for final buffing and gloss enhancing. EX-P pure sealant no cleaning.
OK let `s go with a totally different train of thought ...If you are a detailing purist, then you do steps, wash, clay, polish, (glaze optional), seal / wax.
This is what most will do for personal cars,but when doing commercial work, time is money ;)

tuscarora dave
03-28-2009, 12:30 AM
I have recently started buying a bunch of stuff from poorboys world and I am thrilled with the performance of all of it, I have even collected all of my old products that I had before PB`s and am giving it all to the guys at work. I have one polish from a local supplier that I will keep but everything else will be Poorboy`s World from here on out. I have simply washed and applied EXP for customers and it blows their minds how the car looks. I tell them they should see the full detail... Good luck and keep on asking and reading, TD. oh yeah and welcome to DC

Bunky
03-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Dave, what had you been using?

Luster
03-28-2009, 08:47 AM
If you`ve never used claybar, you`ll really enjoy that part of the detail... the "before" and "after" difference is dramatic!!!;):yay

crumley1
03-28-2009, 01:26 PM
that would depend on application ... are you using a rotary, random orbital (pc), other, or hand?
PwS in pad dependent and will correct with the right combination of machine, pad and speed.
The SSR`s are more job specific, ie SSR2.5 for swirl and scratch removal and SSR1 for final buffing and gloss enhancing. EX-P pure sealant no cleaning.
OK let `s go with a totally different train of thought ...If you are a detailing purist, then you do steps, wash, clay, polish, (glaze optional), seal / wax.
This is what most will do for personal cars,but when doing commercial work, time is money ;)

I`m probably going to buy the Porter Cable 7424 - it seems to have my interest and a price more in line with what I would want to spend. As for commercial or personal - it`s personal - just bought a 2005 Torch Red Roush Mustang - great shape - but a lot of scratches from towell drying and car washes - nothing deep - but definately no "pop".

crumley1
03-28-2009, 01:28 PM
If you`ve never used claybar, you`ll really enjoy that part of the detail... the "before" and "after" difference is dramatic!!!;):yay

Any particular brand of clay bar - I can get the Maguiars at the local Autozone - or do i need something better?

blk45
03-28-2009, 02:17 PM
I`m probably going to buy the Porter Cable 7424 - it seems to have my interest and a price more in line with what I would want to spend. As for commercial or personal - it`s personal - just bought a 2005 Torch Red Roush Mustang - great shape - but a lot of scratches from towell drying and car washes - nothing deep - but definately no "pop".

The PC 7424 is a great tool and very user friendly. FYI, they are kind of noisy. That`s normal, so don`t think something is wrong with it when you turn it on. It will take a little longer than a rotary to correct with, but it is much safer.

Any particular brand of clay bar - I can get the Maguiars at the local Autozone - or do i need something better?

They are all pretty similar, but I would get the blue Clay Magic. AZ should have that as well. Clay Magic has the patent, so they make all of the clay anyways.

Let us know if you have any other questions and post pics!

BTW, I would get an orange and white LC pad and if you go the SSR route, I would get 2.5 & 1.

njcarting1
03-28-2009, 03:29 PM
I just got my PB order also.the products are easy to work with and the tec support is great, both here and at the PB site!

The PC is a great tool and easy to get to know.I had never used one until last week,"still trying different things with it but a great investment." :yay

Many thanks to the people and the product makers that use this forum.

:dcrules

Thanks guy`s...

blk45
03-28-2009, 04:46 PM
:dcrules

Thanks guy`s...

You are very welcome! Glad to see that you are happy with it.

crumley1
03-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the info - I bought the Meguiars clay tonight and did the car - pretty cool results. It was neat to see the did rolling away from the paint - I don`t think that it was that bad - the clay only stuff in a couple of spots but the paint is really clean - squeaky clean to be more exact - now I just need to order the PB products and a PC 7424 - then I can finish her up. Really excited about the progress so far!!