PDA

View Full Version : portable lighting for photo shoot..?

tuscarora dave
03-26-2009, 05:24 AM
I noticed that some of you have portable lights for showing varying degrees of correction in photos, Gleeming cleen (just as an example) uses a light that is a sort of pistol grip with a nice bright ball of light that reflects very well in the paint. Can anyone tell me what type of light this is, how much they cost and where I might find one of these? And of course any other suggestions would be engouraged. Thanks, TD

flash gordon
03-26-2009, 05:33 AM
:cool::dcrules You talkin bout that thing that looks like RADAR GUN? I don`t know. But I know Troy has one.He`ll be along in a couple hours to have an answer 4 u.(Troy b sleepin like baby now):cool::dcrules just a thought thats all

Troy@Protekt
03-26-2009, 06:56 AM
It`s a halogen flashlight. I got mine at Wal-Mart for $20. Made by Brinkman. The key word here is halogen. These are nice for us mobile guys that are limited in what they can carry.

In the Meguiar`s class, Mike called this tool the "cruel master" because it was unforgiving with what it would show. He was telling us how some guys would use this as a promotional tool to show the customers all the imperfections in their paint and tell them "I can get all of those out for you". When it came time to show the customer the finished work the "cruel master" would disappear mysteriously.:rofl

I admit I have done this before.:redface:

Poorboy
03-26-2009, 07:38 AM
personally I don`t believe in the use of halogens ... indoors I use flourescents and out doors the sun. First, if you need to use a light like that to see imperfections, then you are going after imperfections that are so deep into the finish that you might thin the paint more than you or your customer might want, unless you are carrying around a $5,000 paint guage to check constantly. Second, how many of your customers have halogens in their garage to check for swirls?
How many even know what a swirl is? Most people see their car either in their garage with a regular light bulb or flourescents and their car outdoor under sun light.
Those should be your guides. If you want to show boat :notme: and thin the clear, then by all mean buy 1000 watts of halogens and look for every imperfection.

elk42
03-26-2009, 07:51 AM
i just bought a Husky 500w for my garage. it needed more light anyway plus if i really want to critique my work i can just flip the light on. $18 bucks HD.

flash gordon
03-26-2009, 09:00 AM
personally I don`t believe in the use of halogens ... indoors I use flourescents and out doors the sun. First, if you need to use a light like that to see imperfections, then you are going after imperfections that are so deep into the finish that you might thin the paint more than you or your customer might want, unless you are carrying around a $5,000 paint guage to check constantly. Second, how many of your customers have halogens in their garage to check for swirls?
How many even know what a swirl is? Most people see their car either in their garage with a regular light bulb or flourescents and their car outdoor under sun light.
Those should be your guides. If you want to show boat :notme: and thin the clear, then by all mean buy 1000 watts of halogens and look for every imperfection.

:cool: I know i will get blasted 4 this. But this is almost identically what I was gonna originaly post. If I showed up with this lite my customers(99.9%) Would look...them sigh hhmmmm. can you still have my car done by lunch?:cool::wall:wall:wall:cool::dcrules I don`t know if its just a MEMPHIS thing but tha majority just don`t care. Expecially @ $500 4 detail.:cool::dcrules Just a thought thats all

black bart
03-26-2009, 09:06 AM
The hand held xenon light is better than the halogen.

When preparing my car for a show I use a combination of fluorescent and halogen that totals 8000 watts. :eek:

I agree with Steve that this would be taking it to extreme for Joe 6 pack`s daily driver.

elk42
03-26-2009, 10:40 AM

When preparing my car for a show I use a combination of fluorescent and halogen that totals 8000 watts. :eek:

I agree with Steve that this would be taking it to extreme for Joe 6 pack`s daily driver.
ummm six packs. :cheers:

Poorboy
03-26-2009, 10:52 AM

just as a reminder to others ... this is a show car with a custom paint job that far exceeds that of OEM ... he can afford to lose a little more clear in the pursuit of perfection :inspector:

Ronkh
03-26-2009, 11:43 AM
just as a reminder to others ... this is a show car with a custom paint job that far exceeds that of OEM ... he can afford to lose a little more clear in the pursuit of perfection :inspector:

Is this a warning to me? :notme:

Poorboy
03-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Is this a warning to me? :notme:

no one specific ;) but if the shoe fits :rolleyes:

black bart
03-27-2009, 03:11 AM
just as a reminder to others ... this is a show car with a custom paint job that far exceeds that of OEM ... he can afford to lose a little more clear in the pursuit of perfection :inspector:You make a good point.
Also it is not driven much and cleaned every time it is driven so never needs washed because it has nothing but a little dust so I don`t need to polish nearly as often as one would thing.

Once I get it swirl free I try really hard not to put any on it.
When I get to a show I use the spray and wipe generously. :bigups