PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Learning Curve

Pages : [1] 2

OCDinPDX
03-26-2009, 12:40 AM
I`ve decided I`m going to blow part of my tax refund on some more detail equipment. I`ve set my sights on a Makita 9227C and Lake Country Kompressor pads.

I know that rotaries require a bit of a learning curve and I want to get some practice before going after a client`s car with it.

I`m considering going to the junkyard and getting some black doors and maybe a hood to practice on. Once I perfect them, I`ll swirl them up with a brush and a crappy wash mitt and see if I can correct them without damage.

Any other tips? :confused:

tuscarora dave
03-26-2009, 05:14 AM
I would suggest staying away from the flat easy hood, Try instead to find something with raised edges so you can experience how quickly a rotary can cut through the paint completely. While you`re at it try some wet sanding with various grit paper so you can also get a feel for doing those types of repairs. Good luck, I too am newbe with rotary and have found out the hard way...TD

flash gordon
03-26-2009, 05:21 AM
:cool::dcrules Practice on Mother-n-laws car, Thats what I did.:cool::dcrules just a thought,thats all

Troy@Protekt
03-26-2009, 07:09 AM
You probably already know this but the edges is where a rotary can burn you. Not only is that where the paint is thinnest but it also has the potential for the buffing power to be focused on it because you`re having to tilt the buffer in many cases to get to the edge.

Starting out, I would tape off the edges so you won`t burn through and do any paint correction on them by hand. Once you get a feel for the buffer and know how fast you`re cutting with each car you`re working on, then you can buff edges with little risk.

OCDinPDX
03-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the tips, gentlemen.

jake80
05-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Hi I`m new to this so I hope I don`t make a fool of myself but I live in a apt. and can`t use a electric buffer is there anyway I can use a buffer using a AC to DC in my lighter on my car for power.

Troy@Protekt
05-09-2009, 07:09 AM
I bet if you got a decent size power inverter you could run a rotary with it. It would run your battery down pretty quick though so you might need to run your car part of the time.

Years ago I use to think along these lines. How could I get all of my equipment to work in a mobile environment without a generator and being dependant on a place to plug in?

Power inverters were more expensive and less common back then.

tuscarora dave
05-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi Jake, Welcome To DC. I have done exactly what you are thinking of doing cause I live in a mobile home park and my driveway is roughly 110 feet from my power source. There are a few things to consider before using the inverter method.
1. This will be hard on your car`s alternator
2. You will need to purchase the right inverter, one that can handle the amp load that your polisher will draw. I chose the largest inverter that wal mart had to offer. It is capable of supplying enough power to handle a 6.8 amp draw. My Cyclo polisher has an amp draw of less than 6.8 amps so it worked for me. On the other hand my Makita rotary has a 10 amp motor so I would not try to run that on an inverter of this size.
3.The longer the cord you use the more amp draw you will have. I had my boss do the mathmatical calculation to see how much amp draw I would have while running my Makita 10 amp polisher combined with 200 feet of 14 guage extension cord and a 15 amp lighting circuit in my home is sufficient to handle the load with room to spare(extension cords are cheaper than alternators)
4. An A/C to D/C inverter large enough to handle the load you want to run will not run from your cigarette lighter, It will have a booster cable style hook up that will clamp directly to your car`s battery.
5. Your car will have to be running so that your alternator will be able to maintain the battery while you use the inverter, Is the cooling system of your car in good enough condition to cool the engine while Idling for extended periods of time? this would be a good way to blow a head gasket from overheating the engine if it is not.

in the end you need to decide if the risk is worth it... I would suggest doing your homework before making this decision as I am sure there are factors involved here that I have overlooked. To me it`s just not worth the risk, Good Luck, TD

jake80
05-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Troy,thank you for the advise I will check the inverter out...Jake80

Troy@Protekt
05-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Hi Jake, Welcome To DC. I have done exactly what you are thinking of doing cause I live in a mobile home park and my driveway is roughly 110 feet from my power source. There are a few things to consider before using the inverter method.
2. You will need to purchase the right inverter, one that can handle the amp load that your polisher will draw. I chose the largest inverter that wal mart had to offer. It is capable of supplying enough power to handle a 6.8 amp draw. My Cyclo polisher has an amp draw of less than 6.8 amps so it worked for me. On the other hand my Makita rotary has a 10 amp motor so I would not try to run that on an inverter of this size.
3.The longer the cord you use the more amp draw you will have. I had my boss do the mathmatical calculation to see how much amp draw I would have while running my Makita 10 amp polisher combined with 200 feet of 14 guage extension cord and a 15 amp lighting circuit in my home is sufficient to handle the load with room to spare(extension cords are cheaper than alternators)
4. An A/C to D/C inverter large enough to handle the load you want to run will not run from your cigarette lighter, It will have a booster cable style hook up that will clamp directly to your car`s battery.
5. Your car will have to be running so that your alternator will be able to maintain the battery while you use the inverter, Is the cooling system of your car in good enough condition to cool the engine while Idling for extended periods of time? this would be a good way to blow a head gasket from overheating the engine if it is not.

in the end you need to decide if the risk is worth it... I would suggest doing your homework before making this decision as I am sure there are factors involved here that I have overlooked. To me it`s just not worth the risk, Good Luck, TD

:bow

black bart
05-09-2009, 08:49 AM
If you can get the car within 100 feet of and outlet buy a heavy extension cord cheaper in the long run.

flash gordon
05-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I`ve decided I`m going to blow part of my tax refund on some more detail equipment. I`ve set my sights on a Makita 9227C and Lake Country Kompressor pads.

I know that rotaries require a bit of a learning curve and I want to get some practice before going after a client`s car with it.

I`m considering going to the junkyard and getting some black doors and maybe a hood to practice on. Once I perfect them, I`ll swirl them up with a brush and a crappy wash mitt and see if I can correct them without damage.

Any other tips? :confused:

You may wanna visit your local Body Shop. They usually just give there old parts to the scrap man.
Explain to them what you are trying to accompelice and they may even have some future work for you on there hi-end cars. :bigups

You probably already know this but the edges is where a rotary can burn you. Not only is that where the paint is thinnest but it also has the potential for the buffing power to be focused on it because you`re having to tilt the buffer in many cases to get to the edge.

Starting out, I would tape off the edges so you won`t burn through and do any paint correction on them by hand. Once you get a feel for the buffer and know how fast you`re cutting with each car you`re working on, then you can buff edges with little risk.

Very Good Advice. :rockon

I am adding to your Reputation for this answer. :rockon

flash gordon
05-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi I`m new to this so I hope I don`t make a fool of myself but I live in a apt. and can`t use a electric buffer is there anyway I can use a buffer using a AC to DC in my lighter on my car for power.

:welcome: to "Tha Family" Jake80 :rockon

If you can get the car within 100 feet of and outlet buy a heavy extension cord cheaper in the long run.

Yes this is tha ticket.
Another thought get one of those things that you screw into a light socket that allows you to run a extension cord.Then :inspector: around for a outside lighting source. :notme:

bigron62
05-09-2009, 12:33 PM
get the meguires paint coorrection video and you will get a firm grasp on paint polishing ..........i got it and learned alot

jake80
05-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks Dave for the info I appreciate all the info on this site it has helped me a lot keep up the good work guy`s