PDA

View Full Version : Horribly Dirty Rims

Pages : [1] 2

shuddleston
03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Well I cleaned some wheels today that were horribly dirty, which probably took at least an hour. I sprayed the Eagle AtoZ on them and the wheels laughed at that. So I reverted to the SOS pad that I have used successfully on other steel type rims. Good news is the customer was so satisfied with the complete detail and me actually getting off the brake dust concrete like substance that they didn`t mind that I actually took off some of the coating on the wheels.

However, I was pissed at myself for damaging the wheels. What is an alternative solution to using an SOS pad that will actually remove 9 year caked on black crap?:confused:

Luster
03-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Unattended wheels definitely can take a beating. Especially after years of neglect....

I`ve actually pressured washed wheels, with the wash nozzle 1" from the wheel surface. It takes an eternity because you`re doing one square inch at a time!

Sometimes all you can do is "scrape" the crud off. There`s another thread where someone mentioned using a plastic credit to scrape off old tar and crud....

Fishpimp
03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Well there is always the learning curve.

One rule I have is to always have more than one product to do a job because you never know for the most part what you will be confronted with on a daily basis..

So maybe you should look into some additional wheel cleaners...

If you absolutely have to go aggressive SOS pads are not designed to scour painted surfaces. I would suggest 0000 steel wool which you can purchase at your local hardware store, however, I would exhaust ALL my other options before attempting to use any type of steel wool.

P.S one more rule. Leave things designed for the kitchen in the kitchen.

shuddleston
03-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Lol - touche. Thanks for the advice.

Fishpimp
03-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Lol - touche. Thanks for the advice.

No problem bro, I`ve done some horrible things in my day as well..:lol2:

Poorboy
03-16-2009, 08:59 PM
What is an alternative solution to using an SOS pad that will actually remove 9 year caked on black crap?:confused:

Spray and Rinse ;)

RANDAL
03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
WOW three old previously inactive members posting! WOW! Welcome back guys.

teck
03-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Get a good cleaner and let it soak, scrub, rinse then repeat and hopefully that will do it without damage

clone
03-16-2009, 09:30 PM
:cool::dcrules Clone has seen wheels like this before. don`t worry yourself. If the person let these wheels get in that condition, more times than not you probaly won`t here from this person 4 another 6 years. some people just don`t care... beats me but it`s a fact jack.:cool::dcrules

blk45
03-17-2009, 12:06 AM
I sprayed the Eagle AtoZ on them and the wheels laughed at that.

While EO A2Z is good, it`s not nearly as strong as Poorboy`s Spray & Rinse or Megs Wheel Brightener. I think either one of these would give you much better results in these types of situations.

Ronkh
03-17-2009, 05:24 AM
PB spray and rinse.
It was designed for german cars, but if you don;t tell it, it won;t know.

BenzDetailer
03-17-2009, 01:38 PM
When the rims are dirty there is only one thing that will take off years of baked on brake dust crud. Mix a quart Jar of Mayo (full fat content) with 2.5 lbs. of uncooked shrimp and roughly 8 to ten cloves of Garlic in a blender. Then take an inexpensive disposable foam paint brush and paint the mixture on the rims. Let it sit on there in full Sun for 8 to 10 hours. Then check a sample area and see if its disolving the brake dust. You can let this mixture remain on for up to ten days for stubborn extra dirty wheels. Then Rinse and enjoy the Factory Fresh Look. I prefer to rinse with a 50/50 mix of warm beer and water. :)

Beemerboy
03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
When the rims are dirty there is only one thing that will take off years of baked on brake dust crud. Mix a quart Jar of Mayo (full fat content) with 2.5 lbs. of uncooked shrimp and roughly 8 to ten cloves of Garlic in a blender. Then take an inexpensive disposable foam paint brush and paint the mixture on the rims. Let it sit on there in full Sun for 8 to 10 hours. Then check a sample area and see if its disolving the brake dust. You can let this mixture remain on for up to ten days for stubborn extra dirty wheels. Then Rinse and enjoy the Factory Fresh Look. I prefer to rinse with a 50/50 mix of warm beer and water. :)

Can you clarify are these salt or fresh water shrimp...I`m sure it makes a difference :D

holland_patrick
03-17-2009, 05:25 PM
PB spray and rinse.
It was designed for german cars, but if you don;t tell it, it won;t know.

And Germans make great stuff... we all know that...

http://honestinfomercialreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/sham_wow_guy.jpg

Ronkh
03-17-2009, 06:13 PM
And Germans make great stuff... we all know that...

http://honestinfomercialreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/sham_wow_guy.jpg

yep