PDA

View Full Version : vasaline for protection!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

tuscarora dave
02-28-2009, 08:23 AM
My boss was asking me about the rust that is forming under the edge of his rear wheel wells. How did it get there he asks then he asks me if he could just paint over it with touch up pant and apply a generous coating of vasaline to keep it from rusting further. Have any of you considered vasaline for paint protection?:wall:rofl:bigups:crazy::surrender
anyway I told him I would come over and we would repair it correctly after I clean and polish the rest of the vehicle. And we will not be using vasaline. I tried real hard not to laugh at him but was not successful.

tmacsad
02-28-2009, 08:36 AM
:funny: :wow:

My boss was asking me about the rust that is forming under the edge of his rear wheel wells. How did it get there he asks then he asks me if he could just paint over it with touch up pant and apply a generous coating of vasaline to keep it from rusting further. Have any of you considered vasaline for paint protection?:wall:rofl:bigups:crazy::surrender
anyway I told him I would come over and we would repair it correctly after I clean and polish the rest of the vehicle. And we will not be using vasaline. I tried real hard not to laugh at him but was not successful.

Let me join you! :rofl :passout: :eek: :huh: :idea :lmfao :lol2: :jawdrop:

clone
02-28-2009, 08:50 AM
tha clone can understand your laughter to a degree. but tha clone would not be tha clone unless unless he looked at both sides of story:cool: i can understand where your boss is coming from sorta but the more tha clone thinks about it i beleive it will make it worse by every thing sticking 2 it. tha clone recomends every vehicle should have there wheel wells blasted at the local diy. at least once a month :cool::dcrules

CharlesW
02-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Vaseline as a rustproofing product is a new one to me, but.....
A Vaseline comment:
A friend of my wife`s once applied Vaseline to the vinyl top of her car. It was all faded and splotchy and she figured she didn`t have anything to lose. It did look pretty good right after she did it, but I never paid any attention to how it affected the vinyl later.

A couple of rustproofing comments:
Many years ago,I was given a booklet that was a DIY rustproofing guide using regular motor oil. It suggested using a long spout pump oil can and squirting oil into as many places as you could at the bottom of your vehicle. The theory being that the oil would penetrate into the areas that water usually collects and stop the rust.

Also many years ago, I was a tester for a Kendall Motor Oil rustproofing/undercoating product. They applied it to a new car I had just purchased at no charge with the agreement to let them inspect it every 60 days. The product was oily, but not runny. You could wipe it off with some effort, but it didn`t create any noticeable mess. It was something that you didn`t notice in everyday use. In those days, I rarely kept a vehicle an entire year so I can`t say if it helped with rust prevention or not. I think they stopped checking my vehicle after about 6 months and I don`t think the product was ever released or marketed.

tuscarora dave
02-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Vaseline as a rustproofing product is a new one to me, but.....
A Vaseline comment:
A friend of my wife`s once applied Vaseline to the vinyl top of her car. It was all faded and splotchy and she figured she didn`t have anything to lose. It did look pretty good right after she did it, but I never paid any attention to how it affected the vinyl later.

A couple of rustproofing comments:
Many years ago,I was given a booklet that was a DIY rustproofing guide using regular motor oil. It suggested using a long spout pump oil can and squirting oil into as many places as you could at the bottom of your vehicle. The theory being that the oil would penetrate into the areas that water usually collects and stop the rust.

Also many years ago, I was a tester for a Kendall Motor Oil rustproofing/undercoating product. They applied it to a new car I had just purchased at no charge with the agreement to let them inspect it every 60 days. The product was oily, but not runny. You could wipe it off with some effort, but it didn`t create any noticeable mess. It was something that you didn`t notice in everyday use. In those days, I rarely kept a vehicle an entire year so I can`t say if it helped with rust prevention or not. I think they stopped checking my vehicle after about 6 months and I don`t think the product was ever released or marketed.

very interesting comments Charles, I am sure a lot of people including myself will improvise, using various products to achieve the desired effect. One time I had a lebaron with a vinyl top that nothing I tried worked to remove the brown fade over the origional blue color and I finally ended up taking brake cleaner sprayed into a cotton terry towel and allowed to evaporate and rubbed the vinyl top with it and it ended up looking brand new again. I want to stress the fact that this car was a $100. beater and I do not reccomend brake cleaner for anything other than for cleaning brakes. thanks for the replies.

GearHead_1
02-28-2009, 09:57 AM
...i can understand where your boss is coming from sorta...TC I`m worried about you.

tmacsad
02-28-2009, 10:34 AM
TC I`m worried about you.
GearHead you have to look at it from both sides of the Story :hmmm:

tha clone would not be tha clone unless unless he looked at both sides of story:cool:

CharlesW
02-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Isn`t some brake cleaner toxic?
:dunno:
Probably wouldn`t be a bad idea to read any cautions on the container before using a lot of it where you are breathing the fumes and getting in contact with it.

Poorboy
02-28-2009, 11:51 AM
One time I had a lebaron with a vinyl top

did you have Corinthian Leather seats ? :rofl:lol2::rofl:lol2::rofl:lmfao:lmfao

jaybs02
02-28-2009, 11:54 AM
did you have Corinthian Leather seats ? :rofl:lol2::rofl:lol2::rofl:lmfao:lmfao

That was a Cordoba :lol2:

Poorboy
02-28-2009, 02:59 PM
That was a Cordoba :lol2:

oops :wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall

they were similar :notme:

clone
02-28-2009, 03:45 PM
well, as long as we are totaly off topic.and tha clone:cool:has not yet conquered figuring how to post questions(when tha clone does, i have plenty/clone got issues:cool::dcrules)......so here is my question??? tha clone was at wallyland the other day after using self ckout(tha clone avoids dealing with general public)when my change came out. with tha clones superman razor sharpe eyes. noticed an old nickel(dirty)while i quickley pick up my newfound treasure and bolted to clone mobile(always takin up 2 spaces)when tha clone whipped out his trusty jewelers glass he discovered a classic 1964d(clones d.o.b.) while tha clone realizes this will never be worth more than face value. tha clone has grown close to this classic and would like to perform a "correction" any suggestions?:cool::dcrules:hotrod2::hotrod2::hotro d2:

Poorboy
02-28-2009, 04:09 PM
:

well, as long as we are totaly off topic.and tha clone:cool:has not yet conquered figuring how to post questions(when tha clone does, i have plenty/clone got issues:cool::dcrules)......so here is my question??? tha clone was at wallyland the other day after using self ckout(tha clone avoids dealing with general public)when my change came out. with tha clones superman razor sharpe eyes. noticed an old nickel(dirty)while i quickley pick up my newfound treasure and bolted to clone mobile(always takin up 2 spaces)when tha clone whipped out his trusty jewelers glass he discovered a classic 1964d(clones d.o.b.) while tha clone realizes this will never be worth more than face value. tha clone has grown close to this classic and would like to perform a "correction" any suggestions?:cool::dcrules:hotrod2::hotrod2::hotro d2:

tha Poorboy dude uses Professional Polish to clean his collectible coins :rockon

GearHead_1
02-28-2009, 04:33 PM
GearHead you have to look at it from both sides of the Story :hmmm:Did you mean both sides of the coin?:D

GearHead_1
02-28-2009, 04:36 PM
...while tha clone realizes this will never be worth more than face value. tha clone has grown close to this classic and would like to perform a "correction" any suggestions?
Rotary, definitely calls for a rotary.

...i have plenty/clone got issues...
Some things are readily apparent, what exactly are you trying to tell us?