PDA

View Full Version : painted pin stripe removal??

tuscarora dave
02-19-2009, 03:44 AM
When I purchased my car(97 Buick park avenue ultra gold color bc/cc) I noticed that the painted on pin stripe is somewhat worn thin. It kind of looks like a rotary was run over it removing sections of it. the removing I speak of looks like it is just thinner that the rest of the stripe in sections rather uniformly spaced about 1 inch apart the length of the stripe. I personally think that the car would look better without any stripe at all. sorry for the long post but since I did not have a pic to post with it I wanted to describe it. D any of you have experience at total removal of these kind of stripes? If so could you please post the process that you used? TIA, Dave

9D4E420
02-19-2009, 10:17 AM
When I purchased my car(97 Buick park avenue ultra gold color bc/cc) I noticed that the painted on pin stripe is somewhat worn thin. It kind of looks like a rotary was run over it removing sections of it. the removing I speak of looks like it is just thinner that the rest of the stripe in sections rather uniformly spaced about 1 inch apart the length of the stripe. I personally think that the car would look better without any stripe at all. sorry for the long post but since I did not have a pic to post with it I wanted to describe it. D any of you have experience at total removal of these kind of stripes? If so could you please post the process that you used? TIA, Dave

In cases like yours I like to use a laquer thinner and a MF work towel. Some brisk rubbing should remove it. I like to do this rather than compound it off. I feel that would take off too much paint. Follow up with a chemical polish like PB PP to remove any streaks or haze from the thinner.:)

Beemerboy
02-19-2009, 10:26 AM
In cases like yours I like to use a laquer thinner and a MF work towel. Some brisk rubbing should remove it. I like to do this rather than compound it off. I feel that would take off too much paint. Follow up with a chemical polish like PB PP to remove any streaks or haze from the thinner.:)

Be the way I would go...fast and effective:D

Poorboy
02-19-2009, 10:34 AM

I agree with Kurt ... only things I would add is to dampen the cloth before the laquer thinner and i prefer using cotton ;)

tuscarora dave
02-19-2009, 06:38 PM
thanks guys for the responses, I like the sound of that better than using easy off oven cleaner like I read about on some other forums. I just can`t see using oven cleaner.