PDA

View Full Version : A few comments from a wash & wax today

CharlesW
02-10-2009, 05:52 PM
No pictures since it wasn`t a real detail, just a simple wash & wax.

In my thread "Cleaning Rinseless Wash Media?" I asked about products releasing dirt and whether they did or did not get the wash media dirty.
Today, I used DP 4 in 1 and I do think it releases the dirt a little better than ONR. Very little better, though. The wash media still gets very dirty during the wash process.
The vehicle came out clean and that`s really what I was after. :)

In another thread "Custom Grit Guard?" I mentioned making a couple out of some gutter cover for my double bucket. After using them, I don`t think it was worth the effort. I don`t think it hurt anything to have them, but I don`t really think there was any benefit, either. Not the first brilliant idea of mine to be of somewhat questionable value and very likely won`t be the last. Hey, for a couple of bucks and a little time, it was an interesting experiment. :)

Page
02-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Charles If it was not for people like you doing experiments we would still be rolling a rock around :thanks:hotrod2:

Bunky
02-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Charles, overall would you rate them about equal? I know some claim ONR is better. I am not sure how the economics work out but I know you got a good deal on yours.

CharlesW
02-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Charles If it was not for people like you doing experiments we would still be rolling a rock around :thanks:hotrod2:
Sometimes I think I`m still rolling that rock around. :D

CharlesW
02-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Charles, overall would you rate them about equal? I know some claim ONR is better. I am not sure how the economics work out but I know you got a good deal on yours.They seem to work equally well as a rinseless wash and that`s all I use them for.
As far as one or the other being slicker, I really can`t tell any difference.
A couple of things that can skew my results.
1. My vehicles usually receive an application of wax or sealant every 4 to 6 weeks so they aren`t too difficult to clean even when quite dirty.
2. I use DG Aqua Wax with my final drying pass with either 4 in 1 or ONR. That helps a great deal with the slickness.

You are right about a deal. My first purchase was 4 in 1 and a contributing factor was price, It was on sale so I bought a gallon.
Same thing holds true for the ONR. I bought a gallon when it was on sale.
If you research rinseless washes, you will find those that swear by QEW, 4 in 1, and ONR.
As I remember it, I wasn`t too impressed with the QEW, but I think part of the problem was the way I used it. At the time, QEW recommended 2 quarts of water to do the average vehicle and that`s what I used. If I had used a gallon for washing and a gallon for rinsing like I do with 4 in 1 and ONR, I might have has a more favorable opinion of the QEW.

FWIW, I`m now going out to the garage to do a Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe wash on the Grand Prix. :D

tguil
02-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Charles,

Are you ready for rain tomorrow and snow on Friday? :D

Tom :cool:

CharlesW
02-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Charles,

Tom :cool:Probably, but it kind of depends on what weather forecast you look at. Some have the rain & snow, others don`t. Kind of like they don`t have a clue. (And they don`t. :))
I`m one of those hopeless optimists anyway.
The 20% to 30% chance of rain or snow means 70% to 80% chance of no rain or snow to me. :D
I did the same thing a week or so back and it was dirty again before I got to the end of the block. :(
It`s kind of like you cleaning a vehicle up and having to drive it on a 1/2 mile of gravel. We can`t win the game, but we still keep playing. :wall

tguil
02-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Four miles of gravel. :( But you know -- QEW seems to attract less dust that a regular car wash.

CharlesW
02-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Four miles of gravel. :( But you know -- QEW seems to attract less dust that a regular car wash.

Tom :cool:Four miles of gravel! :eek:
I can hardly imagine what that must be like.
My wife picked me up in the GP once at a friend`s place of business when the pavement was torn up and the road was crushed rock at the time. He saw her coming and wondered what was wrong with her. She was driving about 5 miles an hour. I told him she was doing just fine. It was the first and I think the only time that car has been on a gravel road. :)

CharlesW
02-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Charles,

Probably, but it kind of depends on what weather forecast you look at. Some have the rain & snow, others don`t. Kind of like they don`t have a clue. (And they don`t. :))
I`m one of those hopeless optimists anyway.
The 20% to 30% chance of rain or snow means 70% to 80% chance of no rain or snow to me. :D
I did the same thing a week or so back and it was dirty again before I got to the end of the block. :(
It`s kind of like you cleaning a vehicle up and having to drive it on a 1/2 mile of gravel. We can`t win the game, but we still keep playing. :wall
Hey Tom:
It looks like your forecast was the most accurate. :)
Right now, I consider our rain chances to be 100%. (It`s raining now.) :wall
Ar least I don`t have to shovel it.
They are now talking about up to 12" of new snow in the next several days. :(
Might have to shovel that.

tguil
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
We`re expecting up to ten inches of snow on Friday. Sure am glad that I haven`t washed either my wife`s Tacoma for my Dodge Ram for a while. Oh -- they are only dusty right now.

Back to your original post. I`m still using QEW. The crud comes off the wash mitt or microfiber covered sponge just fine. I don`t use a grit guard and my QEW/water rinse solution gets mighty grubby.

I have my John Deere ready to blade out my .3 mile gravel driveway to get to my gravel road. Gotta love country livin`.

Tom