PDA

View Full Version : What do you with rust on exhaust pipes?

Bunky
01-10-2009, 04:51 PM
I have some rust on some chrome tips. Mothers Chrome Polish is not strong enough. I assume I need the right chemical and the right tool.

Poorboy
01-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I have some rust on some chrome tips. Mothers Chrome Polish is not strong enough. I assume I need the right chemical and the right tool.

looks like the plating is shot ..you may want to try some #000 steel wool ;)

CharlesW
01-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I have had some success with chrome polish and 0000 steel wool on a couple of older motorcycles I cleaned up.
Yours look pretty bad, but you probably can make them passable from 5` away.
When they get that bad, the fix is often somewhat temporary and needs to be redone fairly often.
The tips appear to be just a straight piece of chrome tube. Maybe you could replace them with a piece of stainless steel tube.
The old steel portion of the exhaust might not take to welding a new section on because of rust, but you could check the cost to run a new tailpipe with the SS welded on the end. Straight runs usually aren`t too expensive at a muffler shop.

jaybs02
01-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Those look pretty rough.
You might be able to find something to sleeve over them.

Straight tips can be picked up at many of the chains or like Charles suggested, you can check with a muffler shop.

Bunky
01-10-2009, 06:48 PM
I may take it back down to the exhaust shop that installed them and get some better SS put on.

black bart
01-11-2009, 06:01 AM
I would not waste my time with those they are shot. You can spend a lot of time on them and they will still look bad and in a week they will look a lot worse.
Stainless or a piece of aluminum will not rust.
Those look like they were poor chrome a good quality chrome washed occasionally will last years.