PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Ever Feel This Way?

OCDinPDX
01-07-2009, 05:08 AM
I am usually very thorough in my details, especially with new clients. Usually I`m not in business during winter months but my neighbor wanted his Volvo XC90 done while he was visiting family in Argentina. I really needed the money so I agreed. I don`t know what it was about this Volvo that got me so upside down and backwards I simply could not focus. I stumbled about like a novice, feeling my way through things I could usually do with my eyes closed. Maybe it was the weather.

The car first threw me into a funk with the alloy wheels being badly stained. That right there ruined the job for me; wheels are a HUGE point of contention for me. If the wheels look bad, the car looks horrible. So from this point, the car can only look mediocre. He had also requested I remove wax rubbed onto pretty much every black plastic trim surface on the car. He had some kid do it last time and I will say he really trashed the trim.

I bought a specialized dried on wax remover and even that struggled to remove the hardened wax. I nearly emptied the bottle with minimal improvement. So I was down 2 for 2. Wheels stained and still look horrible and dried wax still smeared all over black surfaces. I feel this guy paid me $200 to spit on his car (I could not bring myself to charge him the usual $250).

And because of this, I began to forget things that are usually so natural, I don`t even think about them. I got ready to deliver and I hadn`t cleaned the windows or the door sills. I was running around touching things up before delivery. Honestly, I`m glad I didn`t document this car in photographs. It`s probably one of the worst I`ve ever done (a definite 1/10) but he seemed to be very happy with the results. I really don`t know why it (the Volvo) got under my skin like that. I gotta get my game face on for the summer. :(

Thanks for listening. I hope I`m not the only one who`s felt like this.

ajnavo61490
01-07-2009, 07:20 AM
that has happened to me before... especially if its an older car or one has been abused and the owner expects a miracle at a basic/regular price.

P.S. - For wax removal off trim, use either:
1. APC 6:1 and agitate with a brush
2. IPA with a MF towel

Beemerboy
01-07-2009, 11:10 AM
There are good days and bad days at any job..detailing is no different...Some times your rhythm is off....the cold weather doesn`t help either IMO

Troy@Protekt
01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I definitely feel your pain.

Damaged wheels, carpet with permament stains, pitted paint. I hate working on cars that aren`t going to look good no matter how good you are. I run into that the most with friends and family too which means I`m usually doing the car at a discount. :surrender

I`m glad that most of the cars I do aren`t that way. Don`t get me wrong I love detailing a neglected car as long as the damage is repairable and the results are there.

Redwings97
01-07-2009, 05:34 PM
my wife and I got rid of our XC90 earlier in the year. I hated that car for all the black plastic trim on it. But, 4" sponge paint brush and PB`s Trim Restorer worked great at keeping it looking good. APC diluted, mentioned above, worked for me on removing the old wax when i first got it. Also the wheels did have a few light brown stains that were imbedded in and would not come out. they were very small stains and did not bother me that much.

Once spring arrives, I am sure your game face will be on.

Pander5
01-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Once you get back into your regular frequency of work you`ll forget all about this (I hope). I`ve had these jobs too and if the customer (usually friend, neighbor, family) return they get the full A game. Try to put this one behind you and know you do better.

OCDinPDX
01-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks, guys. I was sure everybody else has had `off` days, I just needed to hear it. :)