PDA

View Full Version : My reason for not posting more about detailing is:

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CharlesW
12-06-2008, 10:19 AM
We seem to have a lot of members that either seldom post or are just involved in the off-topic threads.
I was wondering why that is.
The poll is multiple choice.

cwcad
12-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Well I am first to vote. In actuality, my vote is only half right since I do not feel that my old school ways may not be up to date enough for the new products in today`s market since I have chosen a line that works for me and resist some or most of the hype.

JaredPointer
12-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I just like to talk about lots of different things.

GearHead_1
12-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I shared everything I know in my first two posts. :D

black bart
12-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Charles I have taught you all I know and you still don`t know anything. :lol2:

jaybs02
12-06-2008, 06:50 PM
if i tell you i may have to kill you :lol2:

CharlesW
12-06-2008, 09:38 PM
All the off topic threads and all the chitty chat is fine, but I think you may find that if a detailing site doesn`t discuss detailing, people will find a site that does.
As of right now, out of 21 threads with posts today, 5 of them are about detailing.

GearHead_1
12-06-2008, 09:54 PM
I think there may be some truth to what you are saying and I`m probably more guilty of doing this than the next guy. I looked over a few users most frequent posts and it seems like virtually everyone does the same thing. That makes me wonder if members are not getting both the information they are seeking but also have a core group of friends that they enjoy exchanging banter with. So how did you vote Charles?

sjr
12-06-2008, 10:20 PM
My experience is in aviation. I`m new to auto detailing and to this sight aswell so thererfore im still wading in the kiddy pool for the time being. Sort of getting my feet wet as it were.

SJR services

rabbi
12-07-2008, 12:52 AM
It`s 16 degrees and I`m working 12 hours a day 5 to 7 days a week.

JohnHenry
12-07-2008, 06:11 AM
Good question, Charles. I intended to say that I don`t even know anyone who owns a Porsche, Jag, classic Stingray, etc. Then I realized that I like seeing the details of the Frontier pickup, Mom`s Cutlass, the Beater, (exactly the kind of vehicles that I detail) just as much as I do the exotics. So there goes my excuse for not putting up detailing posts.

OK, my New Year`s resolution... do my first Detailing Showcase post, complete with pictures, by 2-1-09.

(At this point, Angelo is saying "Shut up and wash your own truck!")

The truth is, I find the DC community to be a great bunch of people whose "company" I enjoy.

CharlesW
12-07-2008, 07:24 AM
It`s 16 degrees and I`m working 12 hours a day 5 to 7 days a week.There was no intent to single anyone out, but you do find time to post 50+ times a month. :)
I didn`t do an accurate count so it`s probably closer to 60 or 70.
Many of them were pertaining to detailing and to me that`s good.
Like I said, the off topic and chitty chat is not necessarily a bad thing, but it still seems like we need to keep in mind that it is a detailing site.

CharlesW
12-07-2008, 07:31 AM
I intended to say that I don`t even know anyone who owns a Porsche, Jag, classic Stingray, etc. Then I realized that I like seeing the details of the Frontier pickup, Mom`s Cutlass, the Beater, (exactly the kind of vehicles that I detail) just as much as I do the exotics. So there goes my excuse for not putting up detailing posts.The exotics aren`t the norm for my circle of friends either. :)
As far as results pictures, I like seeing the neglected vehicles brought back to life. Cleaning and shining a 2008/2009 can be challenging, interesting and fun, but a new car should be in pretty good condition.

In fairness to the dealers where I have purchased new vehicles, they do deliver them in good condition. I have never felt the need to take a new one home to correct their mistakes. All I really need to do is maintain them and remove the blemishes I manage to put in them. :)

Bunky
12-07-2008, 07:55 AM
I will try to speculate that there are different reasons why people come here to lurk or post. I am not saying these apply to DC and some random thoughts.

1. Someone new trying to learn something. The responsiveness of others may have a factor in their experience. For ex. if they use OTC stuff. You see this at various forums..."I use turtle wax ice and I like it". Then they get dumped on hoards telling them they need to get a rotary, M105, etc. Please be aware there a lot of satisfied Nu Finish users out there. The site has to be approachable.

2. The regulars have reached a plateau on experience and happy. This means they are not really sharing since others at their own plateaus. I think this is more prevalent at DC. This means people are not sharing experiences with products as much.

3. There are people that do regular details and use a lot of different products and share their experiences. This probably generates the most discussion.

4. Responsiveness to posts. If someone posts a question and there is no response, this sure discourages people to ask again. I can think of several recent ones where none of the regulars either used the product or commented on it. This speaks to the diversity of experience and traffic.

5. Recruiting and promotion. As I told one other detailing discussion group owner, just because you build it, they will not come. You have to invest in these boards by recruiting. You have to have a core following that actively post to stimulate discussion. The board can get stagnant if there are not a lot of new members posting as time goes on. I can think of several active DC posters this summer that I have not seen around in a while (family/work changes? etc). Net, you have to recruit on an ongoing basis and be sure others know about DC. There was a thread at autopia, ag, etc about favorite products of each. One responder made the comment that they thought DC was
dead. How do you get noticed?

The downside to many sites is that many topics get talked about alot. Like at another one you can have multple ONR threads going on at the same time. The search facility does not work and in many cases I think people should talk about stuff again rather than get an encyclopedia type answer by one poster or claim there is one thread that says it all.

Just some thoughts.

heatgain
12-07-2008, 08:55 AM
I voted "Other."
My reason (excuse?):
I visit 6 or seven detailing forums daily, sometimes a few more. The order in which I visit the forums is dictated by the scroll arrow in the location box of the browser. I start at the top and work my way down. Therefore, DC is the 3rd or 4th site I visit, depending whether I`m on the browser at work or home. If I had something to say about detailing, I`ve said it a couple/few times by the time I reach DC. So sometimes, I fail to repeat it. Who out there wants to hear what I think/say/posted previously? I know I don`t.
I do chat here though, several times a week, and I`ve made more cyber-friends on this site than on others because of the chat. So I tend to post off-topic here more than about detailing. (Like this post, for example :hmmm:).