PDA

View Full Version : grandpa dropping detail knowledge

agentxc_02
11-25-2008, 12:25 AM
I was using my grandpa garage to finish the suburban detail since the temp. was below 50 degrees outside. There were some bugs on the mirrors still, and forgot to get them off. He tells he got some kerosene to take them off. I was what(in my head :wall ) this is a new car and he wanted to use kerosene on the paint. I knew that would damage the paint, so i reminded him i would take care of the mirrors when i got home. I didn`t want to have to explain why the mirrors looked bad cause grandpa used kerosene to get the dead bugs off them.:confused:my grandpa is just misinformed on detailing in this generation.

Beemerboy
11-25-2008, 12:40 AM
kerosene was used a lot to clean cars years back..mainly SS paint...its still good as a cleaner for bugs, tar and sap etc...however you should wash off the residue then protect again...I suspect that your GP didn`t protect the mirrors after he cleaned them with the kerosene...but if you took some PP to them today they would come back to life just fine!

agentxc_02
11-25-2008, 12:58 AM
i was just being wary on the paint since this is brand new car of ours.

Beemerboy
11-25-2008, 01:23 AM
i was just being wary on the paint since this is brand new car of ours.

I didn`t realize you where talking about a brand new car..kerosene is an extreme measure for cleaning..tar, sap, over spray and after it requires washing, polishing and protection of some sort..but it was and is still regarded as a good cleaner for those that I have mentioned

Bunky
11-25-2008, 06:44 AM
I have used Stoners Tarminator and it sure smells like keosene or gasoline.....

CharlesW
11-25-2008, 08:27 AM
I have used Stoners Tarminator and it sure smells like keosene or gasoline.....
I was just going to ask what you people thought was in the bug & tar remover you buy. :D

Anytime you use a strong solvent such as B&T remover or Kerosene, you should clean and protect that area after use.

black bart
11-25-2008, 10:20 AM
I was just going to ask what you people thought was in the bug & tar remover you buy. :D

Anytime you use a strong solvent such as B&T remover or Kerosene, you should clean and protect that area after use.I have used kerosene as a tar remover for 50 years.
I`m still waiting for it to damage anything.

The reason those products smell like K1 is because that is what is in them. :D

Last summer I used K1 on the rocker panels of my show car.

The base ingredient in several detailing products is K1
It would be hard to find something that would actually damage the clear coat as long as you washed it good after using.

Acetone or Brake fluid comes to mind as a NO-NO.