PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

Balucanb
02-29-2004, 06:26 PM
OK guys,
Now that everyone has gotten me hooked on yet another aspects of being car crazy I need some more advice. I have the basic clean, polish, seal routine down but the results can be better I`m sure. Both the vehicles I own are light colors, 1 silver and 1 white. When I clean my silver one I just can`t seem to get all the minor swirls out and once I am done it shines nice but I don`t have the deep wet look I want? Now the paint is well taken care of but it also has been on the car since 1998!? I normally apply the products with the PC on 5 I use a quarter size amount for a 2X2 area I work it till its gone then remove polish with a MF towel sometimes I will do it more than once before I move on to the next step. Like I said though I always have a few swirls left. I really think I need to use a rotary but am not sure, kind of scared of burning paint. Can you help me out here?? Thanks

Woob
02-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Seems like your not using enough product. When using a PC it will apply more evenly and effectively, but it uses more product compared to hand application. Experiment, maybe you didn`t work it in enough or not enough product or different revs.

Also a rotory is honestly for a very experienced PC user or someone who has experimented and messed around alot. Its mainy used by a professional detailer or paint shop expert. Remember its main purpose is to fix paint defects, which you have taken out majority wise.

Hope I could help!

awd330
02-29-2004, 07:15 PM
What products are you currently using with your PC? A quarter sized dab per 2`x2` may be too much for some products, yet not nearly enough for other products. Also, what types of pads are you using?

White and silver are somewhat difficult colors to work with if your goal is to produce a deep wet shine. Very clear sealants may be your best bet. As for the swirl problem, what is the manufacturer of the car. Some types of paint are more resistant to swirl reduction methods.

Balucanb
02-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by awd330
What products are you currently using with your PC? A quarter sized dab per 2`x2` may be too much for some products, yet not nearly enough for other products. Also, what types of pads are you using?

White and silver are somewhat difficult colors to work with if your goal is to produce a deep wet shine. Very clear sealants may be your best bet. As for the swirl problem, what is the manufacturer of the car. Some types of paint are more resistant to swirl reduction methods.

Well the car is a BMW, the actual color is Aspen Silver-metalic the products I have right now around the house are 3M SMR for light cars, 4Star UPP and UPPC I also have some Poorboys EX and Professional Polish and some P21s. I am using Meguirs pads I have yellow and red pads (polishing and cutting) I use Both products the same as mentioned. I will normally use the red pad for SMR and the yellow for the other applications. If a quarter size amount is to much for these how much do you reccomend? Also since before finding out about a PC all I did was hand application and would always make sure I could really see the product once it dried (I now think I was always using to much?) How much if any product should be seen if I just let it glaze? Should I just use what you will reccomend when you answer this (I hope you answer) What I mean is do you even need to really see it or do you just keep working the product until the desired result is seen? Hope that all made sense. Thanks

Woob
02-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Polishes are meant to be buffed to a point where they disappear. (Goes for PC and by hand) If its a wax, such as P21S, wipe on and wipe off, its an extremely easy product. If your using UPP, apply VERY thinly and let it dry for 1 hour or so to cure. UPC will probably just be wipe on/off (Wayne help! hehe) EX is the same, thin and let set for 1 hour before buffing.

I would recommend a more abrasive besides SMR (since it only has fillers/oil). Hope I could help!

Balucanb
02-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Thanks, what SMR would you reccomend?

Woob
02-29-2004, 08:40 PM
If your using the Poorboy`s line, get SSRs 1 and 2. They work very well!

awd330
02-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Balucanb
Well the car is a BMW, the actual color is Aspen Silver-metalic the products I have right now around the house are 3M SMR for light cars, 4Star UPP and UPPC I also have some Poorboys EX and Professional Polish and some P21s. I am using Meguirs pads I have yellow and red pads (polishing and cutting) I use Both products the same as mentioned. I will normally use the red pad for SMR and the yellow for the other applications. If a quarter size amount is to much for these how much do you reccomend? Also since before finding out about a PC all I did was hand application and would always make sure I could really see the product once it dried (I now think I was always using to much?) How much if any product should be seen if I just let it glaze? Should I just use what you will reccomend when you answer this (I hope you answer) What I mean is do you even need to really see it or do you just keep working the product until the desired result is seen? Hope that all made sense. Thanks
I have a light metallic BMW as well, so I am familiar with the paint`s characteristics. Regarding the products and pads, it looks like you have a very nice selection. You could think about adding a moderately stronger swirl remover like Poorboy`s SSR2, but a couple passes with 3M SMR may do the job as well. You could also consider trying EX-P in place of EX as EX-P seems to produce more "pop" with light metallics. Here are a couple suggestions for your situation -

Using only products in your possession:
- one or two passes using 3M SMR with a cutting pad (apply one thin bead of product around the circumference of the pad); spread at speed 2 and buff at speed 5. Should cover about 2`x2`.
- Take one pass with Poorboy`s Pro Polish with a polishing pad (apply one thin bead around the pad); spread at speed 2 and buff at speed 5. Should cover much more than 2`x2`.
- Take one pass with 4*UPC with a polishing pad (apply one thin bead around the pad); spread at speed 2 and buff at speed 4. Should cover a little more than 2`x2`.
- Apply two layers of 4*UPP by hand (nickel sized dab). Should cover a little more than 2`x2`.
- Add an optional layer of S100.

My favorite process for light BMW metallics:
- Purchase Poorboy`s SSR2. Apply one thin bead of product to a cutting pad, spread at speed 2 and buff at speed 5. Should cover about 2`x2`.
- Take one pass with Poorboy`s Pro Polish with a polishing pad (apply one thin bead around the pad); spread at speed 2 and buff at speed 5. Should cover much more than 2`x2`.
- Purchase Poorboy`s EX-P as well as a finishing pad. Apply one thin bead around pad. Spread and buff at speed 3. Should cover more than 2`x2`. Apply 2 layers.
- Option to purchase and apply Natty`s Wax.

Reasons for my recommendations? 3M SMR may be too weak for swirls in BMW paint. For white and silver colors, products which leave a warm look have more depth. For metallics, clearer products will provide more shimmer. EX-P is warmer than UPP and clearer than EX. Natty`s is clearer than S100.

That`s my 2 cents. Hope you find it helpful.

Woob
02-29-2004, 11:03 PM
awd330 you :headbang I am truly thankful that you got me into the PB line :kneel

Now I`m :hungry for a detail

Balucanb, I would definitely not stay with SMR, it has fillers / oils that really don`t do the job, step it up to SSR2. And get the products Steve has coming out. (EX-P, SSR2.5, etc.)

Balucanb
02-29-2004, 11:41 PM
THANX guys!!!!!!! I just checked out PB`s Site I guess some of those products aren`t out yet, so I will keep a eye out. Hey PB need another tester?! :)

Woob
02-29-2004, 11:50 PM
SSR2.5 is in the process of testing, EX-P will be out soon, as they need lables. Join the line for testing. Steve I`m always here to test .... packaging :lmfao