PDA

View Full Version : Washing Microfiber Question?

OCD_Maniac
10-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey all,

When you guys wash your microfiber, do you guys put distilled white vinegar once the laundry process gets to the rinsing phase?

I heard it`s good to put like 5ounces of white vinegar because it gives the microfiber the sticky static characteristics.....hopefully you guys know what I mean as I am trying to explain it right. Basically the white vinegar is a catalyst for making the microfiber grab more dirt.

If this is a myth, please let me know.

OCD_Maniac

CharlesW
10-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Hey all,

When you guys wash your microfiber, do you guys put distilled white vinegar once the laundry process gets to the rinsing phase?

I heard it`s good to put like 5ounces of white vinegar because it gives the microfiber the sticky static characteristics.....hopefully you guys know what I mean as I am trying to explain it right. Basically the white vinegar is a catalyst for making the microfiber grab more dirt.

If this is a myth, please let me know.

OCD_ManiacWhat I do is run the MF through a second rinse with the vinegar added to that rinse.
As far as the reason, I have heard that the vinegar helps rinse more of the soap from the towels. :dunno:

The vinegar being a catalyst for making the MF grab more dirt is a new one on me. I suppose it`s possible, but I rather doubt it. I always thought the sticky static characteristics were because of static electricity build up in the MF. :confused:

Whatever the reason, I do think the vinegar rinse is beneficial. :bigups

heatgain
10-23-2008, 10:24 AM
The vinegar final rinse helps remove wax and oil from the MF`s that regular soap and water leave behind.

black bart
10-23-2008, 06:57 PM
I do like Charles the first rinse will leave some soap residue and on the second rinse add the vinegar.
To reduce static electricity dry on low heat until just damp and finish drying on air dry this will greatly reduce the static.

Mr. Clean
10-27-2008, 04:42 PM
What I do is run the MF through a second rinse with the vinegar added to that rinse.
As far as the reason, I have heard that the vinegar helps rinse more of the soap from the towels.

The vinegar being a catalyst for making the MF grab more dirt is a new one on me. I suppose it`s possible, but I rather doubt it. I always thought the sticky static characteristics were because of static electricity build up in the MF. :confused:

Whatever the reason, I do think the vinegar rinse is beneficial. :bigups

+1 to the bolded comments above. A further note, I use a vinegar rinse with all of my laundry, not just with the microfiber.

As for static in the MF towels, as noted you can either not dry them completely in the dryer; allowing them to air dry instead, or with a quick "snap" of the towel much of the static will be minimized if not completely eliminated.

Bunky
10-27-2008, 05:30 PM
I would like to add that if you have problems with soap retention then you may be using too much soap especially on front end units. You may decide how much soap to put in but on He types the washer decides how much water to use.

black bart
10-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I would like to add that if you have problems with soap retention then you may be using too much soap especially on front end units. You may decide how much soap to put in but on He types the washer decides how much water to use.
BUNKY try this after you have done your wash and rinse throw the towels in a pan of clean water and allow them to soak awhile and watch the soap residue that floats to the top.
I have a top loader but I do 2 wash cycles because I use DG and it is really hard to wash it out of the towels.
I keep washing and rinsing untill I`m sure they are clean and have NO soap residue.

Mr. Clean
10-28-2008, 08:50 AM
...I have a top loader but I do 2 wash cycles because I use DG and it is really hard to wash it out of the towels.
I keep washing and rinsing untill I`m sure they are clean and have NO soap residue.
DG? As in Duragloss? Which product? I`ve only used their soap and Aquawax products. I haven`t noted any difficulty getting the towels used for AW clean. FWIW, I also still have a top loader.

DFTowel
10-28-2008, 03:30 PM
The white vinegar does nothing to improve towel performance except that it helps the fibers shed excess detergent which, it could be said, helps performance. All you need is about a tablespoon per towel in the final rinse.

Also, try to not use too much detergent, a good rule is to use half of the whta the bottle recommends and set your water temp selector to it`s hottest setting.

Bunky
10-28-2008, 05:33 PM
BUNKY try this after you have done your wash and rinse throw the towels in a pan of clean water and allow them to soak awhile and watch the soap residue that floats to the top.
I have a top loader but I do 2 wash cycles because I use DG and it is really hard to wash it out of the towels.

Is your water hard? I have a whole house water softener so things seem to get cleaner with less
soap. I have not done the bucket test but I may try it. Also, doing a pre-soak may help.

black bart
10-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Is your water hard? I have a whole house water softener so things seem to get cleaner with less
soap. I have not done the bucket test but I may try it. Also, doing a pre-soak may help.Yes water is somewhat hard and I use a lot of soap to get the polish out.

I have done the clear water bucket test and with one rinse I see a small amount of soap residue.
Probably not enough to matter but when I apply my QD I don`t want to add soap.:D