PDA

View Full Version : Where did I go wrong?

Pages : [1] 2

tnek
10-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Brought home my new TorRed SRT8 Challenger last week. Had to wait till Friday to wash it myself for the first time. The dealer did a decent job and the finish looked good.
I washed it with microfiber bone, 2 buckets.
Pulled it in the garage and used microfibre drying towels, all good so far. Got out the Pinnacle clay bar and went over the whole car. Took me a couple hours then used Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and followed by Wolfgang spritz. Looked fantastic. Downside is a few minor body issues were easy to pick out and I will deal with those later.
Here is where I run into trouble. I drove the car down to the local drive in to pick up diner and came back home,, maybe 10 miles. I got up next mng to put on the next coat of Fuzion on top of the Sealant and figured it had road dust on it so I washed it again.
I used a leaf blower to blow it off this time trying a tip I had read about and pulled it in the garage. I noticed some small water spots but figured the Fuzion would get rid of them as I applied it. WRONGO!!:crazy:
After I was done I notice that while the shine from the Fuzion is stunning it also has what I can only describe as small, lightwhite, freckels all over the car. It was even on all the glass. :wall
I had to use clay on the rear glass to get it even partially clean.
I suppose I am going to have to reclay the whole car again??
Do you guys wash after claying? Time and temperature are getting to be my enemy here and I dont want it to set like this for long. Im looking at highs in the mid to upper 50s next 5 days or so with rain.
IF I wash it can I pull it in the garage and cover it with my new covercraft Duststop cover and peel the cover back and clay and reseal with Fuzion as time permits a day later. I can close the garage and warm it up some before the clay and Fuzion which is why I dont want to have to rewash after the clay if I wipe it off. :surrender
Sorry for the long one but Im looking for opinions and suggestions.
Thanks!

Meghan
10-21-2008, 09:12 AM
I always wash after claying, just because I tend to see the clay lube running down the car while claying and it drives me nuts. Others might not, but if I was going to apply a sealant and wax then yes!

9D4E420
10-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Do you have PB S&W? That would be your best bet to dust the car off with that before waxing if you don`t plan on using the ole bucket method. As for the white specs it`s sounds like it might be road paint or some type of fallout. Your best bet is to start over again. Let us know how you make out.

Beemerboy
10-21-2008, 09:52 AM
One thing that I picked up in this is...you clayed a brand new car...then when to a LSP...I would have polished with either PB PP or some lighter type of polish to further correct any minor swirls and finish cleaning the paint to get ready for the LSP...I know that new cars don`t require as much paint correction, but they do still need to be polished

As for the white spots that was something that came from the road or your surroundings...if it was on the glass that was a the give away for me....as stated clay those areas again...and then polish and LSP

Ronkh
10-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Just to add. The Wolfgang sealant needs to cure for 12 hours (Absolutely no moisture. They have a warning on the directions not to even let it sit outside at night becasue of dew). So you may have done some damage with the wipe down spritz.

Beemerboy
10-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Just to add. The Wolfgang sealant needs to cure for 12 hours (Absolutely no moisture. They have a warning on the directions not to even let it sit outside at night becasue of dew). So you may have done some damage with the wipe down spritz.

That`s a good point about the moisture...Its been some time since I`ve used the WG S but that`s true of about all sealants

Pho_Tai
10-21-2008, 02:31 PM
tnek,
Have you ever used Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer? So far, the Megs Quik Detailer has been my favorite in regards to general purpose cleaning when I don`t have to do a complete car wash and claying. I also used the Quik Detailer after claying and/or polishing and before I apply my paint sealant. I have also used it to clean my windows and it does a pretty good job of making it clear. Note: DO NOT use the Megs Quik Detailer on tinted windows.

CharlesW
10-21-2008, 03:15 PM
While I have no idea "Where you went wrong", I do have some ideas as to what needs to happen next. :)

You obviously have something on the car that needs to be removed. Washing evidently didn`t get rid of it.
A paint cleaner might, but you may have to clay the car again. Depends on what the stuff on your paint is. It almost sounds like paint over spray. If it is, the clay will probably be your solution.

As far as washing after claying, I personally would use a paint cleaner/polish after claying, but if you don`t want to go to that much effort, I would at least wash the vehicle.

As far as the water spots you noticed, I think Fuzion is to be used as the LSP. It is not likely to remove any blemishes such as water spots. Your paint finish needs to be in as good of shape as you are going to get it prior to applying the Fuzion. The Fuzion will add protection and appearance to what it is applied over, but it doesn`t remove flaws.

So.....
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Use a cleaner/polish or at least wash again (I would definitely use a cleaner/polish)
4. Apply the Fuzion
5. Take a break :D

If Fuzion requires a "cure" time, give it that cure time before you use another product over it. I can`t imagine that you would need to use anything until at least after the next wash.

Beemerboy
10-21-2008, 03:51 PM
tnek,
Have you ever used Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer? So far, the Megs Quik Detailer has been my favorite in regards to general purpose cleaning when I don`t have to do a complete car wash and claying. I also used the Quik Detailer after claying and/or polishing and before I apply my paint sealant. I have also used it to clean my windows and it does a pretty good job of making it clear. Note: DO NOT use the Megs Quik Detailer on tinted windows.

Welcome to the site...can you tell me why you can`t use Meg QD on tinted glass?

CharlesW
10-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the site...can you tell me why you can`t use Meg QD on tinted glass?Beemer:
I`m guessing he is referring to aftermarket tint.
I don`t know anything about the Meg`s UQD or aftermarket tinting, but I have read that the film doesn`t always play well with cleaning products.

tnek
10-21-2008, 10:16 PM
While I have no idea "Where you went wrong", I do have some ideas as to what needs to happen next. :)

You obviously have something on the car that needs to be removed. Washing evidently didn`t get rid of it.
A paint cleaner might, but you may have to clay the car again. Depends on what the stuff on your paint is. It almost sounds like paint over spray. If it is, the clay will probably be your solution.

As far as washing after claying, I personally would use a paint cleaner/polish after claying, but if you don`t want to go to that much effort, I would at least wash the vehicle.

As far as the water spots you noticed, I think Fuzion is to be used as the LSP. It is not likely to remove any blemishes such as water spots. Your paint finish needs to be in as good of shape as you are going to get it prior to applying the Fuzion. The Fuzion will add protection and appearance to what it is applied over, but it doesn`t remove flaws.

So.....
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Use a cleaner/polish or at least wash again (I would definitely use a cleaner/polish)
4. Apply the Fuzion
5. Take a break :D

If Fuzion requires a "cure" time, give it that cure time before you use another product over it. I can`t imagine that you would need to use anything until at least after the next wash.
This sounds like what I was thinking sort of. Got a cleaner suggestion?
Thanks for all the input!

CharlesW
10-21-2008, 10:48 PM
This sounds like what I was thinking sort of. Got a cleaner suggestion?
Thanks for all the input!Like so many types of products,the cleaner polish choices are almost mind boggling.
I have and use:
Optimum Poli-Seal
Poorboy`s Polish With Sealant
Poorboy`s Polish With Carnauba
Klasse All In One
All the above clean and leave some protection as well. How much protection is debatable, but since I always use a LSP after them, protection is not what I am looking for from them. I think that would be true with your Fuzion.
I also have and use Poorboy`s Pro Polish which is a true chemical cleaner and would do a good job prepping for the Fuzion.
Meguiar`s #80 is also a good prep for your LSP and I use it some as well. It is more abrasive than any of the others and wouldn`t be my choice for a new vehicle.

It seems like I most often use either the Poli-Seal or the Poorboy`s PwS.
Klasse AIO was my go to cleaner/polish for years and is also a very good product.

Just to confuse the issue a little.
Since you are using Wolfgang Fuzion, you might want to consider using the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. That way, you stay in the same product line. Important to some people, but not important to me. I have never used the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer, but I think it is probably a good product.

So many products, so little time/money. :D

Pho_Tai
10-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Welcome to the site...can you tell me why you can`t use Meg QD on tinted glass?

Hey Beemerboy. Thanks for the welcoming. In the Meg`s UQD, one of the chemical components can eat away at the aftermarket tint film. A co-worker gave me this useful info. Also, I did a little searching myself and found the ingredients of UQD if all you guys are interested. Meguiars Quik Detailer-05/19/2003 (http://whatsinproducts.com/information.php?brandNo=13-006-018&PHPSESSID=038a459d7f7254ab3a080e261b6a478f)

tnek
10-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Like so many types of products,the cleaner polish choices are almost mind boggling.
I have and use:
Optimum Poli-Seal
Poorboy`s Polish With Sealant
Poorboy`s Polish With Carnauba
Klasse All In One
All the above clean and leave some protection as well. How much protection is debatable, but since I always use a LSP after them, protection is not what I am looking for from them. I think that would be true with your Fuzion.
I also have and use Poorboy`s Pro Polish which is a true chemical cleaner and would do a good job prepping for the Fuzion.
Meguiar`s #80 is also a good prep for your LSP and I use it some as well. It is more abrasive than any of the others and wouldn`t be my choice for a new vehicle.

It seems like I most often use either the Poli-Seal or the Poorboy`s PwS.
Klasse AIO was my go to cleaner/polish for years and is also a very good product.

Just to confuse the issue a little.
Since you are using Wolfgang Fuzion, you might want to consider using the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. That way, you stay in the same product line. Important to some people, but not important to me. I have never used the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer, but I think it is probably a good product.

So many products, so little time/money. :D

OK,, physcic, I actually had ordered the Wolfgang last nite. I do tend to try and stay in the same product group untill I feel comfortable with something else. :cheers:

CharlesW
10-23-2008, 09:59 AM
OK,, physic, I actually had ordered the Wolfgang last nite. I do tend to try and stay in the same product group untill I feel comfortable with something else. :cheers:At first I thought it was a typo, (physic when you meant psychic), but you might be closer with the physic comment. :D

One thing about staying in the same product line, the manufacturer can`t blame any problems on another company`s products.
I have heard nothing but good things about Wolfgang so it should be a killer combination. :bigups