PDA

View Full Version : what type of paint on 69 stingray?

tuscarora dave
10-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I will be polishing a 69 red stingray soon and I am not sure if they came with single stage paint enamel or laquer. Have any of you worked with these cars and if so could you please explain the correct procedure for removing swirls. this is original paint. Thanks.

dr_detail
10-04-2008, 02:39 AM
Original paint on a `69 Vette would most likely be a single stage laquer. Before attempting to do any paint correcting, look carefully for any signs of checking. Checking will look like a hardboiled egg that was rolled around a countertop so as to crack it very finely. If it has any signs of this stop now and cut your losses. Next, I`ll ask, are you actually removing swirls or light to medium marring (see this post (http://www.detailcity.org/forums/paint-cleaners-polishes-compounds-swirl-removers/22675-can-you-really-remove-swirls.html?highlight=swirls+marring) for the diffrence)? If they are swirls, they will need to be polished out most likely using a rotary with a series of steps. It`s best to start with a light to medium polish or glaze using a foam pad and check your results. I like to use 3M machine glaze for Dark colored cars or Auto Magic BC-2 on paint like this (this is just me though, use what works for you) If they are not being worked out, move up to a more abrasive product (something like 3M Finesse-it II or Mark V Uno) then back to the lighter polish. Follow this with a sealer, glaze, or wax. If it is not swirls, but marring you need to remove a DA with a light to medium polish will usually remove them -- so will many sealers as well as glazes. Without seeing the paints condition though, it is almost imposible to direct a treatment for your ailment. Back to the paint -- easy way to tell if it`s a clearcoat or a singlestage is to rub a liitle polish in an inconspicous area using a white towel, if it takes on the color of the paint, chances are good it`s a single stage paint.

tuscarora dave
10-04-2008, 06:39 AM
I believw it is just marring that I am dealing with here. Thank you for the great explanation though that post made the difference crystal clear. This car belongs to a personal friend so I will have plenty of opportunity to check for checking and such. I think I`ll be using the correct terminology for marring and swirls fromn now on. Good Day!

Smokin' Mark
10-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Hey Doc,

I`ve seen old cars with that "cracked egg" in spots. I never knew it was called checkering.

I`m just curious. How do you fix checkering?

Mark

dr_detail
10-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Hey Doc,
How do you fix checkering?
stripping off all the old paint and replace it with new.

For those who are wondering; the problem with working on this type damaged paint is all the cracks will fill with product which will in turn be near imposible to remove.

Smokin' Mark
10-04-2008, 09:22 PM
I asked because years ago I built prize-winning model cars. Occasionally the paint (lacquer) would "split" and the only way to fix it was to start over. Funny how it works the same way on real cars. It`s nice to talk with someone with such deep knowledge and experience.