PDA

View Full Version : Is a rotary buffer the same as grinder?

tuscarora dave
08-24-2008, 08:14 PM
I never used a rotary that was not air powered, From what I remember an electric rotary looks like a rotary disc grinder with a foam backing plate on it. Am I off base here or is this correct? If this is correct, I think I will trip over to harbour freight and buy one and practice on my hundred dollar "hoop-D" as I really don`t care if the paint on it gets burned. I seem to get a lot of hogged up and severely scratched up jobs to do and want to be able to get them done faster.

CharlesW
08-24-2008, 09:28 PM
I never used a rotary that was not air powered, From what I remember an electric rotary looks like a rotary disc grinder with a foam backing plate on it. Am I off base here or is this correct? If this is correct, I think I will trip over to harbour freight and buy one and practice on my hundred dollar "hoop-D" as I really don`t care if the paint on it gets burned. I seem to get a lot of hogged up and severely scratched up jobs to do and want to be able to get them done faster.
HF has a cheap rotary, but I have no idea how it compares in quality to a higher priced one.
My personal feeling is that you probably get what you pay for.
You can find it here. (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92623)
I think I remember it being on sale for quite a lot less at different times.

dr_detail
08-25-2008, 09:14 AM
They are basicly the same, however, those deamed "grinder" usually are heavier and have no-load torque speeds much higher than "sander/polisher" models.