PDA

View Full Version : What`s Your Take???

Beemerboy
08-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I was reading on CNN that there has been numerous inquiries about the ages of some of the Chinese gymnastic team members...Stating that they where under age for the competition.

The rules state that they have to be 16 in the year of the Olympics...Its believed that one or more where only 14 at the time.

I don`t find this hard to believe that someone would try and cheat..but this seems so obvious...When I saw her preform that was my first thought and even the commentary said it twice during the performance

These Olympics did not get off to a great start...the little girl that sang at the opening was lip syncing and the fireworks display that we saw on TV..was digitally enhanced for the TV viewers...so what else are they hiding?

I really love the Olympics for what it dose for countries and unity but for someone to cheat makes me mad that the would drag this fine event threw the mud!

Here is a link to what I read

Age of Chinese gymnasts investigated - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/22/gymnasts.age.ap/index.html)

cwcad
08-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Such is the way of life. Any time one has a competition there are going to be those that will try to get one over on the system. Checks and balances are in place to mitigate this kind of thing but it certainly does not stop it from happening.

I love the Olympics and am wasting time posting:wall instead of watching an event that is only held every four years.:eek::lol2:

Big Leegr
08-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Meh... once they started allowing pro athletes to compete against amateurs I kind of lost interest.
And, as cwcad alluded to, this isn`t anything new. There`s been drug (steroids) scandals, judges bought/threatened, "imposters"... it`s sad, that`s for sure.

Beemerboy
08-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Meh... once they started allowing pro athletes to compete against amateurs I kind of lost interest.
And, as cwcad alluded to, this isn`t anything new. There`s been drug (steroids) scandals, judges bought/threatened, "imposters"... it`s sad, that`s for sure.

BL

Its not about whether they are pro`s or not...its about a country sending there best to compete with the best...That part means nothing to me..The cheating part also comes as no surprise...What they are finding in this cases if the false-faction of documents...that`s a much different level of cheating...they are lying to improve there chances of winning!

Mr. Clean
08-22-2008, 03:57 PM
It seemed obvious to the Wife and I that some of the Chinese girls appeared to be less than 15-16 years of age. The child like faces, the lack of physical (womanly) maturity, and the most obvious, missing baby teeth. But, as there might be advantages to having younger athletes competing, there are just as likely disadvantages. So, I am not going to worry about it. The American (gymnasts) girls did well enough, won enough. I agree that rules are rules, but I hope the American contingent doesn`t complain too loudly so we don`t come off as a bunch of whiners.

nikro000
08-22-2008, 04:05 PM
I think the Chinese government wants to win at all costs. Hosting the Olympics is not enough, it also has to push its athletes to new extremes to make the triumph perfect. Cheating is certainly included in the plan and why not? The IOC is mortified to embarrass the hosting nation. Short of putting a sign around the girls neck that says "I am 14" in plain English, the government can do whatever they want. The IOC is not interested in any trouble. In addition I would not be the least surprised if money and services had changed hands between China and the IOC members before the decision was made who should host the Olympics. After all they gave the Olympics to a country with still abismal treatment of human rights and struggle to even provide clean air. If the IOC got something for their decision, then they would be even more interested to help China to hush the affair. The problem is that the IOC looses all credibility in the process.
I am not so mad about the fact that China most likely cheated. It is common for such regimes to do anything to win. But there is a reason to set the age of the athletes in gymnastics at 16. It is not only to give the older athletes and equal chance, it is also to protect the children`s bones longer from being worn out in a grueling competition (not that this matters in China where children start training at 4).:(

Mr. Clean
08-22-2008, 04:29 PM
...But there is a reason to set the age of the athletes in gymnastics at 16. It is not only to give the older athletes and equal chance, it is also to protect the children`s bones longer from being worn out in a grueling competition (not that this matters in China where children start training at 4).:(
Don`t think that here in America children don`t start thier training at 4 and even younger.

nikro000
08-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Don`t think that here in America children don`t start thier training at 4 and even younger.

Possibly - but in China the 4 yr olds have to walk on their hands for half an hour until they cry. And when they cry they are worked even harder. There is no consideration given to their physical and mental health. :(

holland_patrick
08-22-2008, 11:06 PM
What`s the big deal??? the brit`s do it..

Britain`s Tom Daley qualified for the 10m individual Olympic diving final, but compatriot Pete Waterfield failed to progress after some erratic dives.

Daley was 15th after the first round but spectacular fourth and fifth-round dives helped move the 14-year-old to eighth place with a score of 458.60.

Waterfield, who was hampered by a shoulder injury, finished an agonising 13th, one place short of qualifying.

China`s Huo Liang led the way, scoring 549.95 in his six dives.

Australian Matthew Mitcham, silver medallist in Atlanta four years ago, had the second best points score (532.20), ahead of China`s Zhou Luxin (526.20) in third.

Germany`s Sascha Klein, one of the favourites for gold, failed to progress, finishing in last place with 382.85 points.

Plymouth teenager Daley seemed to be struggling but he improved as the competition progressed to drag himself back into the reckoning.

His fourth dive - an armstand back triple somersault with tuck - earned 86.4 points, while a backwards three-and-a-half somersault on his fifth dive was rewarded with 89.10 points.

Beemerboy
08-22-2008, 11:10 PM
PH

The big deal is simple IMO...rules are rules...breaking them is cheating..whether its with controlled substance or..falsifying docs, or any other method..its all the same result...cheating

Bunky
08-23-2008, 06:58 AM
Cheating is a way of life in any sport. The pressure to win forces all players to take risks.

CharlesW
08-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Do other countries cheat?
Absolutely!

Do all other countries cheat?
Probably not.

Have U.S. athletes and coaches cheated?
Most definitely!

Do the U.S. athletes cheat today?
Who knows?

One thing to keep in mind, what is cheating today was very possibly within the rules a short time back.

One thing I do find interesting.
A 14 year old is considered to have an unfair advantage over a 16 year old.
Most sports limit the older participants from competing against the younger ones.