PDA

View Full Version : Washing Towels

Pages : [1] 2

Peco
08-17-2008, 09:50 PM
I was wondering if I can wash my microfiber and waffle weave towels together?

Beemerboy
08-17-2008, 10:41 PM

yes..you can wash all your MF together...no softeners or those dryers things

Stephan
08-18-2008, 07:51 AM
I agree with Dave, avoid using `Dryer Sheets`.

Mr. Clean
08-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Wash away :) The only MF separation that I do is the grunge, wax/sealant/polish, QD/drying towels. But I generally wash a fair number of towels, so the load size(s) works out for me.

You may already know this, but IMO a complete and thorough rinse may be the most important step of the wash process.

97F1504x4
08-18-2008, 09:29 AM
I do a double rinse cylce on mine.

Poorboy
08-18-2008, 09:45 AM
I do a double rinse cylce on mine.

sometimes I do another wash cycle without detergent and mine last years ;)

RyansAutoDetail
08-21-2008, 03:07 AM
i wash all my pads, buffing, drying, applying MF towels etc seperate in small loads by hand except my drying and buffing ones i isolate in one load but all ones that have wax or other compounds go totally seperate and not in the washing machine for my clothes LOL i dont want wax in my clothes lol

Empire01
08-21-2008, 10:28 AM
i wash all my pads, buffing, drying, applying MF towels etc seperate in small loads by hand except my drying and buffing ones i isolate in one load but all ones that have wax or other compounds go totally seperate and not in the washing machine for my clothes LOL i dont want wax in my clothes lol

Can you go into more detail how you wash them by hand? I have some nasty towels, and I don`t want to stick them in my washer. I was thinking about just going to the laundromat and messing up their stuff.

DFTowel
08-21-2008, 11:27 AM

You mention microfiber and waffle weave separately. Am I to take it that the waffle weave are not polyester microfiber? If that`s the case then you should avoid washing them together as the polyester microfiber terry towels will pull fibers from the waffles, especially if the waffle weave is cotton.

97F1504x4
08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
I wash my WW and MF together never had a problem

Deanski
08-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Wash with a "FREE" detergent. Mild temps. No softners, liquid or sheets in dryer.

On the rinse I add a cup of white vinegar to assist in removing any soaps still trapped. Then one final rinse in cold water.

I tumbull dry at low temps until damp, then air dry the rest of the way. Once dry, a few quick snaps of the towel to fluff the fibers up and they are ready.

Deanski

Autogeek
08-22-2008, 09:22 AM
I usually throw all my pads, towels, etc in the same load with some DP Microfiber Cleaner and it all comes out great. :D

Peco
08-22-2008, 01:44 PM
This is how I wash my towels. Thanks for all your opinions too. 1. Soak in Bucket with HOT WATER, Dawn Dish Soap over night. 2. Add to Washer with 1/4 Cup Simple Green or Purple Power and 1/4 cup Detergent (FREE) and wash in HOT Water (DONOT use any FABRIC SOFTENER). 3. Do a 2nd rinse cycle using (1 tablespoon per towel) 1/2 cup of White Distilled Vinegar. 4. Dry on "Air Dry" with NO FABRIC SHEETS.

Mr. Clean
08-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Peco, your process seems pretty sound...
O pre-soak
O wash
O rinse
O rinse
O dry

Better yet, if it is working for you and the towels keep doing it. :bigups

I dry my towels with low heat as I don`t have enough room to lay them all out to air dry. The only negative I have found doing so is that if they are over-dryed they generate a lot of static electricity. A sharp "snap" is normally enough to take care of that.

Deanski
08-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Static can have a good or very bad advantage.

On some 996 early 997 Porsche, NEVER rub a static charged MF towel near or around the headlight areas! You can blow the ballasts or hood relay. It`s been fixed on some, but not all.

And if you ever do a wheel-off cleaning of a Porsche that has PCCB (Porsche Composite Ceramic Brakes) easy to tell, yellow calipers/grey rotors with stainless steel hats, make SURE the customer has TWO WHEEL hangers! They look like very long studs that screw into the hub to assist in guiding the wheel. You do not want to tip and hit a ceramic rotor, or you could be ending up paying $5000.00 for ONE ROTOR! :eek:

All GT`s have the PCCB`s, then some 996/997 GT3`s and a few "S" cars like my 997 "S". Just look for the yellow calipers.

MF towels just need light cleaning unless they are loaded with polish or waxes.

Deanski