PDA

View Full Version : Detailing "Deal breaker"

clarks2ndwind
08-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Looking for a good used SUV. Found one in our price range/lower miles. Called and went that day to see it. When we arrived, lady had just returned with a "fresh detail" to show off the beautiful metallic paint. It was deep red metallic with no damage on the body. Nice SUV. While talking I noticed her going around with a dish rag getting left over polish off the paint. Well we were in the shade so it was rather hard to see what was really going on. We took it for a short drive, got in the Sun and OMG!! Holigram city!! HUGE swirl marks with product still on the pain COVERING the body. We drove it back and had to tell them why we were no longer interested. Their reply.."he is a professional detailer and does super work" They still did not see the damage because again, in the shade. They looked at us like we were crazy. We told them, when they get the paint fixed, call us back. That was a deal breaker for us! But honestly... could somthing like that been fixed? The man made the comment.."we could use some filler or somthing to fix anything" ... I`m thinking.. no way. I`d never seen the huge swirl holigrams. The same day at a dealership I saw a truck with the same type of pattern! I`m thinking, what is up with this?!?!?! So what do you think happened?!?! Just curious...:huh:

CharlesW
08-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Looking for a good used SUV. Found one in our price range/lower miles. Called and went that day to see it. When we arrived, lady had just returned with a "fresh detail" to show off the beautiful metallic paint. It was deep red metallic with no damage on the body. Nice SUV. While talking I noticed her going around with a dish rag getting left over polish off the paint. Well we were in the shade so it was rather hard to see what was really going on. We took it for a short drive, got in the Sun and OMG!! Holigram city!! HUGE swirl marks with product still on the pain COVERING the body. We drove it back and had to tell them why we were no longer interested. Their reply.."he is a professional detailer and does super work" They still did not see the damage because again, in the shade. They looked at us like we were crazy. We told them, when they get the paint fixed, call us back. That was a deal breaker for us! But honestly... could somthing like that been fixed? The man made the comment.."we could use some filler or somthing to fix anything" ... I`m thinking.. no way. I`d never seen the huge swirl holigrams. The same day at a dealership I saw a truck with the same type of pattern! I`m thinking, what is up with this?!?!?! So what do you think happened?!?! Just curious...:huh:It`s a very coomon occurance that is usually caused by someone with a rotary that really doesn`t know how to use it.
Chances are that the paint could be corrected by a detailer that:
1. Knew what he was doing
2. Wanted to do a good job

My only concern would be how much of the clearcoat did he buff off while screwing it up.

Beemerboy
08-17-2008, 03:04 PM
I would guess that yes its correctable no problem...done many myself...If the SUV is the right one for you then see about getting as discount based on getting the detail done right...maybe a few hundred off for the work

Mr. Clean
08-18-2008, 08:47 AM
With fuel prices as they are today, SUVs should be priced just right. From what I understand, the current price deflation might not continue through the late Fall should fuel prices continue to fall. Though paint condition is certainly a concern, what is described would not be a "deal breaker". Without seeing the paint I don`t know if you are seeing swirls or merely "buffer trails". Both are probably correctable, the latter of course would be the least labor intensive. I would have much more interest in the mechanical upkeep and current mechanical condition.

...My only concern would be how much of the clearcoat did he buff off while screwing it up.

Poorboy
08-18-2008, 08:56 AM
I also agree... this should not be a deal breaker as long as the detailer didn`t burn through the paint ...with a little time and patience you can remove the swirls and holograms ;)

clarks2ndwind
08-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Well... we decided to go with the Jeep (as in a earlier post about jeep detailing). We got it for a REALLY GREAT deal and my son is thrilled to have it to drive to school! Thanks for all your thoughts!