PDA

View Full Version : calgary detail - riccardo clay?

Redwings97
08-12-2008, 12:37 PM
I am having some issues with the Riccardo clay. I store it in a zip lock baggie with clay lube coating it pretty well. The clay seems to fall apart while using, almost like Play-doh. I mean, it is very very soft and does not want to "hold" together. Am I storing it wrong? I store PB`s clay the same way and do not have a problem with it breaking apart.

Beemerboy
08-12-2008, 12:54 PM
I find that the cheaper clays do this like the OTC clay kits..the better clays that I have used like PB do not...I store mine the same way...no issues with the good stuff

Redwings97
08-12-2008, 12:59 PM
I find that the cheaper clays do this like the OTC clay kits..the better clays that I have used like PB do not...I store mine the same way...no issues with the good stuff

Interesting - so Riccardo is a cheaper clay?

CalgaryDetail
08-12-2008, 01:06 PM
dont store it in the clay lube, just throw it back in the littl white box it comes with. I have left riccardo for months after using it, re opened the box and it was as good as new.

so save the time money and energy and dont throw it in a baggie with lube....

Beemerboy
08-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Interesting - so Riccardo is a cheaper clay?
Not what I am saying...with cheaper clays that I have used it falls apart after a few uses...If this Riccardo is doing that then maybe it is a cheaper grade...I`m really just talking about the falling apart factor

Redwings97
08-12-2008, 01:34 PM
dont store it in the clay lube, just throw it back in the littl white box it comes with. I have left riccardo for months after using it, re opened the box and it was as good as new.

I figured you would know - being a frequent user of this clay. I will most certainly do that tonight when I get home. Thanks

Not what I am saying...with cheaper clays that I have used it falls apart after a few uses...If this Riccardo is doing that then maybe it is a cheaper grade...I`m really just talking about the falling apart factor

I kind of thought that is what your were talking about, but I wanted to make sure. I didn`t think Riccardo was a cheap clay (or at least hope I didn`t get a cheaper grade). Thanks

I am going to try just storing it the container like CD does and see what how it works the next time. I am sure it will be A OK.

Old Pirate
08-12-2008, 01:37 PM

I always store all my clay bars when i`m done using them like the way Mike does, never had a problem with them.

blk45
08-12-2008, 11:35 PM
I always store all my clay bars when i`m done using them like the way Mike does, never had a problem with them.

Except when you keep dropping them! :D

RyansAutoDetail
08-13-2008, 01:49 AM
i thought u were SUPPOSED to keep a used portion of clay with a mist of detail spray or lube in a tightly sealed bag so it doesnt dry out ?? correct ? how can this be bad for youre clay bar ?

JaredPointer
08-13-2008, 07:16 AM
i thought u were SUPPOSED to keep a used portion of clay with a mist of detail spray or lube in a tightly sealed bag so it doesnt dry out ?? correct ? how can this be bad for youre clay bar ?

I don`t think I`ve ever read that. I think anytime clay gets wet and stays wet, it starts degrading. This is just from personal observation (using the clay with car wash as a lube).

sal329
08-13-2008, 10:42 AM
I alkways put the clay inot the plastic container it came in, if not I have small containers I got from Walmart in the fishing section. I have clays for paint, glass, wheels and exhaust. I never wet them with anything.

RyansAutoDetail
08-13-2008, 12:26 PM
ok then lol

David Fermani
08-15-2008, 12:41 PM

It`s not bad for your clay. Auto Wax/Auto Magic suggests spraying both the container and clay with their clay lube for storage. This will eliminate your clay bar from sticking to the sides of your container. Water won`t degrade your clay, using improper lubes (like car wash soap) will. Although I`ve never used Ricardo clay, I`m surprised to see it falling apart? Sometimes super-stretchy/elastic properties of clay isn`t the best characteristic.

RyansAutoDetail
08-21-2008, 02:33 AM
well the one time i misted showtime into my plastic sandwich bag and sealed my clay up for two weeks it was still perfect then i just got the ziplock after this set of messages and put in there without the showtime spray to keep the clay from sticking so i left it all dry

JaredPointer
08-21-2008, 08:20 AM
I use Mother`s clay almost all the time now and store it in a ziploc bag in an old coffee tin. I never keep it wet, I just put it in there dry and never have a problem with it.

But hey, what do I know. I use improper lubes such as car wash soap.