PDA

View Full Version : Older windscreens: leave well enough alone (?)

Slik560
07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
I learned that a good inspection of a windshield (windscreen in deference to our friends across the Atlantic :) ) is a must before any polishing. I have an 87 Benz with a couple of minor chips that I`m getting filled, but I taped over those and went at the windshield with a low speed polisher, a 3" foam pad and some Autoglym Glass Polish. The polish did a remarkable job, as everyone says it does. Afterwards I cleaned the entire windshield with some Stoners and then and only then I noticed dozens of tiny white specks that were not visible before. :( Had I noticed the tiny pitting all over the windshield, I would have not used a WHITE polish. The residue settled into all of these heretofore invisible pits, making them quite visible! I spend the next hour with some Stoners and a MF cloth soaking the polish out of the microscopic holes. Moral: If you`re confronted with an older car, check out the windshield better than I did before you take the polish to it!! :wall

[Maybe I just need new glasses]:cool:

9D4E420
07-31-2008, 04:38 PM
The same thing happened with my 94 E420. I used a pressure washer to remove the polish from the windshield. Yes I agree it is extremely annoying!

sal329
07-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the tip, sorry you found out the hard way