PDA

View Full Version : I`m down

9D4E420
07-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Sorry guys but I just needed somewhere to vent. The last few weeks have been a living nightmare for myself. :(

As all of us know the economy is in seriously bad shape. I have been really slowing down at the shop. Reason being is the slow sale of used cars. The problem is that everyone wants small 4 cylinder cars. The owner of the lot where I work has not been buying cars. Therefore no work for me. All the new car dealers where he buys cars from are trying to sell him these huge SUV`s because that`s what they are trading. We are loaded up with big vehicles already so we can`t buy anymore.

Thank god for my side customers. They have really helped me out in the last two weeks but here is another problem. Detailing is a luxury item so many people are cutting back on details for their cars. So that is not a big source of income for the time being.

Over the last two weeks I have been interviewing for a position with an engineering firm in NYC. Well that fell through. I have been out of college for three years now and can`t even get entry level work. I never give up hope and I`m always applying for jobs. I don`t know how much more of this rejection I can take. I`m going broke over here with no releif in sight.

Now I`m off to the print shop to have more business cards made up. A friend of mine is working on a really cool website for the business now. Today I`m going to go out and see if I can muster up some business at local car lots doing headlight restorations.

Everybody tells me "You are the best don`t give up the detail business" and "Your work is phenominal you should expand". I appreciate the compliments but I don`t want detailing to be my career. I feel so burnt out and would just like to detail on the weekend. :passout:And on top of that I cannot hire anyone right now plus I havent found anyone that meets my standards for excellent work.

What should I do here any guidance or suggestions would be much appreciated!:):thanks:dcrules

Kurt

Poorboy
07-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Sorry to hear Kurt ..it`s been a rough year for you :(
Keep the faith and good things come to good people:):):bigups

Troy@Protekt
07-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Unfortunately your problem is not unique. This is a scary time for most people right now with the condition of our economy. Our sales have definitely dropped off. All the detailer`s in the area are slow.

I wish the people that create these economic roller coasters could get a feel for what it does to the average person. As it is, they don`t care.

The only advice I have to give is don`t give up. This is the land of opportunity and things will get better. :cheers:

9D4E420
07-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement Steve and Troy. It`s time to go cold calling now.

Ronkh
07-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I know it may look pretty dark right now, but.........
With adversity comes oppertunity.
You`ve got skills and experience that others do not. Use your experience to seek out oppertunity so when things get better you have a great head start to success.

Big Leegr
07-14-2008, 03:35 PM
One possibility might be to "add on" to your packages. If your wash was only an exterior wash, add an interior vacuum for the same price. This would be only if you have "spare time" and want to draw in some more customers that may be on the fence.

For an added income, maybe look for part-time work in some unrelated field. It may help to bridge the gap for the time being, and may even get you some new contacts.

JohnHenry
07-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Kurt,

I hear you, man. I`ll spare you the details; however, suffice to say that I`m going through the same rough patch at twice your age. Since this is my second trip (laid off from corporate management jobs at 40 and 55) maybe I can give you some advice.

Number one, first, foremost and always... STAY POSITIVE. How`s that self help book title go... "You Can`t Afford the Luxury of a Single Negative Thought?" It`s true. Just when you`ve made a connection that will lead to your next job, you can`t afford to come across as dejected. You are the exact guy who will solve a huge problem for some NYC engineering frim. They just don`t know it yet.

Second... IMMEDIATELY GET A PROFESSIONALLY WRITTEN RESUME. Then network, network, network. Tell everyone you know what you can do and what you`re looking for. People want to help. Your detailing clientele... I assume they`re primarily high-end car owners... hand them a resume and let them help you. They own businesses. They know people who own businesses. Always have a good supply of resumes. Take them to the dry cleaners, the gym, church, the golf course... you get the idea.

continued...

Old Pirate
07-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Get write-up John, i`ll be talking to you on the 26........Angelo

JohnHenry
07-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Third... if you`re not already, get signed up on MONSTER, CAREERBUILDER and LADDERS. If there`s an engineering job board, find it. These are VERY effective. Work these sites for an hour or two every day. Tailor your resume and cover letters precisely to the job posting you`re applying for. You will first be screened by a computer scanning for keywords. The hiring company gives you a cheat sheet in the job description. Play the game. (Don`t fib... ain`t worth it.)

Fourth... go to the library and read everything written by MARTIN YATE... Knock `Em Dead Resumes, Knock `Em Dead Cover Letters, Hiring the Best, etc. I`m sure you`ll find lots of good advice on the same shelf.

Hang in there, buddy. Get up off the mat and get busy. Send me a PM. I`d like to give you a call.

Regards,

Jay

Old Pirate
07-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Bravo......:rockon

Bunky
07-14-2008, 05:04 PM
You will have to consider going to where more jobs are. For example, in the RTP, NC area there are many companies (Lenovo, IBM, etc). Many hire contractors so you may have to start out there. These are entry jobs to get experience and if you are good they may hire you.

sal329
07-14-2008, 05:50 PM
That is some great advise John.

JohnHenry
07-14-2008, 05:59 PM
I agree 100%, Al. I`ve had a great career, a couple of them actually, but I`ve chased opportunities over five states (plus DC twice.) But hey, at 27 years old, Kurt, just go for it! Life is an adventure. Unless you have some compelling reason not to leave metro NYC, tell Monster.com, etc., that you are mobile.

Thanks for the kind words, Angelo and Sal.

Jay

samrawet
12-15-2008, 04:51 AM
I read this articles Unfortunately your problem is not unique

clone
03-14-2009, 10:55 PM
:cool::dcrules Although Iknow this post is nearly 8 months old unfortunately for many things have gotten worse. I hope you have found someway of making money since your post. I have been in this biz for nearly 30 years and have never seen anything like this.I have 1 customer who has lost 80%(millions) of his net worth in less than a year. everyone is hurting.the best advice i can give you is to give your heart to the lord.and pray for his guidance and direction.I beleive this will actually help this country in the long run.(no pain no gain) no one saves money like they should,like they use to.people have got to start living within ther means or these are the consequences. hopefully you are young enough to remember these times,when times get better. everyone is always concerned about there credit....who needs it. save untill you can pay in full. then you will find that you don`t really need it. and you will have great credit because you haven`t been abusing it.as far as doing this for a living that depends on is this what you enjoy doing most? if it is than do it.but you have to discipline yourself your retirement/401k are all in your hands.get life/disability insurance. buy a home w/15 year mortgage. don`t smoke. don`t use drugs. don`t drink alcohol. study the bible. this is the best advice i have for you. i will keep you in my prayers.:cool::dcrules