PDA

View Full Version : Respect... is there just no such thing anymore?

LikeaRock
07-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Especially when it comes to family and your closest friends? :surrender

Sorry, just had a very akward afternoon, and I just don`t understand why so many people in this society nowadays have so little respect for anyone or anything.
I figure there`s still a good crowd, and that`s why I`m moving, because I think I`ve found it.

And everyone here at DC shows their share of respect for each other, and I appreciate that. Otherwise I wouldn`t be posting this :cheers:

Beemerboy
07-08-2008, 07:46 PM

Sorry, just had a very akward afternoon, and I just don`t understand why so many people in this society nowadays have so little respect for anyone or anything.
I figure there`s still a good crowd, and that`s why I`m moving, because I think I`ve found it.

And everyone here at DC shows their share of respect for each other, and I appreciate that. Otherwise I wouldn`t be posting this :cheers:

Dolan...what`s up?

You need me to come up there and bring you beer?

LikeaRock
07-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Dolan...what`s up?

You need me to come up there and bring you beer?
Sure, I can always use free beer :rockon :D

It`s nothing serious, I just get fed up with people too easy I guess, especially when you`ve had to put up with BS for almost 21 years :notme:

Thanks for the support though, but where`s my %$#^@!! beer?!?! :D

I planned on picking up a 6-pack of Lost Coast Downtowm brown, you can make that 6er a 12er!

Beemerboy
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Sure, I can always use free beer :rockon :D

It`s nothing serious, I just get fed up with people too easy I guess, especially when you`ve had to put up with BS for almost 21 years :notme:

Thanks for the support though, but where`s my %$#^@!! beer?!?! :D

I planned on picking up a 6-pack of Lost Coast Downtowm brown, you can make that 6er a 12er!

Wish I had the time to come up would in a minute for a beer in an air conditioned building about this point

97F1504x4
07-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Seems like this is becoming more and more prevalent in todays world and it certainly is not for the better.

People nowadays seem to care less about helping anyone but themselves and could care less about inconveniencing others.

You see it on the roads in the store and all over.

And I for one am sick of it and it has turned me into a very outspoken A-Hole at times when things like that happen. Many parent also could care less that their children are running wild and unattended to in store disturbing other patrons. And the list goes on and on.

I am the one that will 9 times out of ten let someone on the freeway when no one else will yet there is never a wave acknowledging that move etc etc .

Not that I expect it from people but wouldn`t it be nice if someone appreciated what you did.

dave40co
07-09-2008, 12:48 AM
I know what you mean. When I grew up we called my friends parents Mr. or Mrs., said please and thank you etc.... I have theory on this and sorry if I sound like I am ranting, I think it has a lot to with our faceless society. We can send pictures, messages and talk to anyone we want and not actually have to shake their hand or give them a real hug. I was playing with my 6 month old grandson today while his mom was online taking a class, my son was texting his friend and my wife was watching some mindless REALITY show on T.V. (Or should I say cable?) The whole time I was with the little guy I was thinking about what kind of world we were going to leave him! We can bank, pay bills, work and shop without ever even talking to another human being! When the computer screws up we can yell at it without any recourse, hence we think that is how we can treat another caring, feeling human being. When we do get into the "real world" we have no clue as to how to act. It is just a theory but it is my take.
Another observation, I do know some very successful people and I found that they are also very warm and friendly personalities. They listen and seem like they care about you.
I always treat people like I would like to be treated. I have forgotten how many times I have held open doors for folks or helped them load their cars at the home centers without a thank you. I don`t even want one but you know what I mean!
My advise to you and is to be the best person you can be morally and you will always be proud of yourself. If one other person notices then you have succeeded! If many notice then you have more to be proud of! I noticed, Dolan, that you are a Virgo and we expect a lot of people. Be happy about who YOU are and let things roll off of your back, it took me almost 50 years to figure that crap out!

LikeaRock
07-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Richard- That`s one of my pet peeves, when people won`t let you in or someone else in, even though leaving a good sized gap between the car in front of them will mean they don`t have to stop to eventually let them in. But sometimes if I see some a-hole coming up who wants to merge after the merge is already passed or it`s the very end, I move over right on the white line so they can`t keep going on ahead. They can stick behind me :D

My advise to you and is to be the best person you can be morally and you will always be proud of yourself. If one other person notices then you have succeeded! If many notice then you have more to be proud of! I noticed, Dolan, that you are a Virgo and we expect a lot of people. Be happy about who YOU are and let things roll off of your back, it took me almost 50 years to figure that crap out!
I grew up in a family that PRAISED moral, good manners (to the point trhat we`d get our hand stabbed with a fork if we did anything wrong :wow: ), always say please and thank you, write thank-you notes, hold doors for folks, all thats tuff you know. I thank my parents now of course for being such hard asses at times, because if it wasn`t for them I`d probably be one ill-mannered SOB :lmfao

Yesterday on another site I saw a quote in a guys signature that said "Be the change you want to see in the world", and I realized that`s basically what I`m doing right now. I expect respect from others and always return the favor.
I lost one of my best friends to leukemia back in December, looking at him laying in that bed in a coma was the hardest thing I`ve had to do thus far in my life, that`s when it really started to hit me that we don`t have a ton of time on this earth and that I`m going to do whatever the hell I`ve got to do to make sure my life is comfortable and stable, as long as it doesn`t have any negative effect on anyone else. I believe everything happens for a reason, I don`t believe in karma per say but I do believe that what comes around goes around, I might not have gone far in life yet (I`m not quite 21, I`ve got time) but I figure if I continue being the change/person I want to see in this world, it`ll pay off

9D4E420
07-09-2008, 02:23 PM
I can`t agree more with everyone`s comments about this thread. It is absolutely atrocious how people act towards one another. People in general are just plain rude and extremely self centered. "What`s in it for me?" If nothing then go "f" yourself. That`s how I see it. Everyday I see this selfish behavior all around me. Three weeks ago I moved into a high rise apartment community. There is a large population of elderly people that live there. All the ones that I have met have been very polite. They always say hello and hold the door open for you. Then you have younger people like myself in their twenties. I walked up to the door with my gym bag and groceries in my hands. We need keys to get in the back door. I was fumbling my keys to get in when I saw a girl my age approach the door. I smiled at her and she looked at me like I was psycho and just kept walking. That is a perfect example. And if you see them in the hallway and say hi they just look at you like you are insane and they just keep walking.

Obviously the elders have not grown up in the technology age. They rarely come in contact with everyday occurances when they don`t have to socialize with others. Their manners are still there. Now some of us we know who we are, were raised to care and be polite to our fellow humans. I think that people know they are not being polite but they really dont give a s#%t.

Not only do I feel that this not caring attitude is shown towards fellow humans but also towards work. I don`t even know how this country still functions. It seems like almost every day you are trying to figure out someone else`s mistakes. I understand no one is perfect but the mistakes are from just being lazy and not caring.

I`m glad others on here on DC share these views on society. I`m glad we are all civil and polite to each other. This is one of the only places you can go and get treated like a human being.