PDA

View Full Version : Pad Conditioners?

CharlesW
07-08-2008, 09:06 AM
How many of you use a pad conditioner when polishing with the PC?
Those that do, what do you use?
A dedicated pad conditioner, a QD, water, other.

I have used a spritz of water for the products that recommend a damp pad for applying the product and it seems to work OK, but......
Maybe I`m missing something by not trying the pad conditioner or a QD instead.
I have QDs I can use and while I don`t really want to purchase more products, the pad conditioners aren`t too expensive.
I also wondered if the pad conditioners might be a relabeled QD.

Comments, discussion, arguments welcome. :)

9D4E420
07-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Charles, I don`t really think you are missing out on the pad conditioner. I received the XMT conditioner when I bought my PC kit from AG. I hardly ever use the stuff. I find a shot of S&G works just as well. The XMT smells like rubbing alcohol so I don`t think they are relabled qd`s, well atleast not XMT.

Stephan
07-08-2008, 11:24 AM
I have the Pinnacle pad conditioners, I use them occaisonally, and other times I use a QD, not sure if the conditioner really does anything more then what a QD would do or water.

JOE.M.
07-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Sorry for jacking your post but I have a question to add, would clay lube work as a conditioner?

9D4E420
07-08-2008, 05:08 PM
I don`t see why not. Most clay lubes are very similar to quick detailers.

Bunky
07-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I have used a quick detailer. I usually just do one squirt.

Old Pirate
07-09-2008, 07:01 PM
I been using the XMT conditioner for the past yr and sometimes a QD.

GearHead_1
07-09-2008, 07:12 PM
I usually use a QD`er to moisten/soften the pad. Even though I clean my pads fairly well they feel a little crusty initially.

tuscarora dave
02-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Is spritzing a pad something that is necessary? Can damage occur to the paint if a conditioner or QD is not used with a rotary?

Poorboy
02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
I usually use a QD`er to moisten/soften the pad. Even though I clean my pads fairly well they feel a little crusty initially.

I would say this is a good practice... dry hard foam rubbing against the paint will not be pretty ... either a very light amount of water, QD or product needs to be used to prime the pad ... not saturation just damp ;)

heatgain
02-23-2009, 06:35 PM
A damp pad absorbs less product, so more goes onto the vehicle. I used S&W the other day to dampen a pad I was using for a headlight job, but the product (polish) got a little soapy. I may stick to using Meg`s regular QD to dampen the pad.
Picked up a few aerosol QD`s at Advanced Auto clearance for $1.95 each.
Lordy I love clearance.

CharlesW
02-23-2009, 07:23 PM
There has been some discussion recently about what some QDs might leave on the paint.
Jason Rose at Meguiar`s posted some information at MOL about QD use with polishes and compounds.
Here`s a link to that post.
Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online - View Single Post - Cleaning off "Durable Polymers" before detailing (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=286068&postcount=12)

blk45
02-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Good info. Thanks Charles. I have always recommended staying away from QDs as primers, just for that reason.