PDA

View Full Version : Wash mitts...how often to change them???

YNOT
06-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Just curious...how frequently should one replace their wash mitts??

I`m starting to notice marring on my black SUV. I`m pretty cautious when washing and drying so I`m wondering if maybe my wash mitts are too old. I`ve had them going on just over 2 years now. Could my drying towels be too old as well??

I figure, no matter how many times you wash them, they`re bound to get some dirt in them that maybe just won`t come out which could lead to marring.

Any suggestions???

:thanks

Poorboy
06-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Just curious...how frequently should one replace their wash mitts??

I`m starting to notice marring on my black SUV. I`m pretty cautious when washing and drying so I`m wondering if maybe my wash mitts are too old. I`ve had them going on just over 2 years now. Could my drying towels be too old as well??

I figure, no matter how many times you wash them, they`re bound to get some dirt in them that maybe just won`t come out which could lead to marring.

Any suggestions???

:thanks

I think it`s a personal call ... if you examine them and feel any rough areas, then designate them for rocker panels and wheels ;)

Bigs
06-20-2008, 09:11 AM
I think it depends on how you gauge them. If you use them VERY often, I`m sure they will require to be changes regularly. I usually downgrade my used mitts to the wheels and wheel wells!

Beemerboy
06-20-2008, 09:12 AM
I get a new wool mitt about every other year..seems like that`s when they get kind of worn out looking and loose there fluffiness.

It really depends on how much use you give them and wash them IMO

Mr. Clean
06-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Switch to sea sponges and you won`t have to concern yourself with worn out wool mitts. :D

Actually I still have a couple (or 6) mitts around, I just don`t use them as often. Mine would be usually be visibly worn before I noticed any marring, so it wasn`t too hard for me to decide when to toss on.

Still, I recommend the switch to the sponge. Just a better too IME.

dr_detail
06-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Washing 4-10 vehicles per day, I have to replace 1 or 2 about every 6 months. I do have over a dozen of them though, which rotate every 2-4 vehicles. I wash them (washing machine) with a little (2-4oz`s) of full strength degreaser added to the regular wash soap about 1-2 times per week, no dryer. I run a stiff metal "dog-hair" type brush through them when they show signs of knappiness. Usually I have to replace them not because of wear, but due to the stiching coming apart which exposes the scary inside material.

Reddwarf
06-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Not to hi-jack, but what about using a shmitt (http://www.detailcity.com/the-shmitt-foam-wash-mitt.html)?