PDA

View Full Version : Please help, my head is gonna `splode!!!

jdhermit
06-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Ok. I`m driving myself nuts.
Got a brand spankin new, Red Mazda 3. And when I say red, its like the BMW 3 series red...BRIGHT.
So I wanna keep it that way.
I`ve got it clayed with NXT 2.0 on it, but I think i want to step up. I`m just going to list a bunch of questions, and if anyone would be so kind as to answer, I`d be very appreciative!
1) What will remove the NXT 2 with the least damage? Does just dawning it do any harm to paint? Less harm than a cleaner?
2) I like the thought of poorboys or griots. Griots has a paint prep product...would this be good to remove nxt? It looks like Poorboys professional polish may be what i`m looking for to take off the wax too, then i wouldn`t need to polish it with anything else before sealant?
3) w/ griots, i was going to use the sealant with a carnuba wax over it, no polish.
4) w/ poorboys, I`m stumped...ex-p or ex sealant? natty`s over it? which one?
5) i`m leary of polish on a new car...yes the idiot dealer left very slight swirls, but i put some Maguires Polish on it before the NXT 2.0 and it looked terrible. all swirly and smudgy. so i dawned the hood and just applied the nxt 2.0. was it probably just crap polish?

I know, long list, but I`m drowning in too much info and am overloaded, so take pity on me...please
!!! :D
I just love my new car and want to protect it.
Oh, and if it matters, I probably wax/seal my vehicles about 2 or 3 times a year.

thanks very much!
jd

Scott P
06-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Congrats on the Mazda3. They are nice little cars. Let me help a fellow Mazda owner out. You should not feel a need to remove NXT 2.0. It is a popular product and it gives a nice look.

1) What will remove the NXT 2 with the least damage? Does just dawning it do any harm to paint? Less harm than a cleaner?

Any product with cleaning abilities will remove the NXT 2.0. They won`t cause any harm whatsoever to the paint. This would include polishes, paint cleaners and all in one products.

2) I like the thought of poorboys or griots. Griots has a paint prep product...would this be good to remove nxt? It looks like Poorboys professional polish may be what i`m looking for to take off the wax too, then i wouldn`t need to polish it with anything else before sealant?

I can`t speak for Griot`s since I haven`t used their products, but I am familiar with Poorboy`s World. Pro Polish would work fine. You might also want to look towards Polish with Sealant or Polish with Carnauba - Blue. I think the latter would look really nice on the red of your car. It is an all in one product that would easily remove the NXT 2.0 while leaving behind a layer or protection.

3) w/ griots, i was going to use the sealant with a carnuba wax over it, no polish.

Again, I`m not familiar enough with Griot`s to make an informed comment.

4) w/ poorboys, I`m stumped...ex-p or ex sealant? natty`s over it? which one?

Like I said in a previous answer, I think Polish with Carnauba - Blue would be a good choice for you. If you felt the need to top it, then EX or Natty`s Blue Paste Wax would be my choice.

5) i`m leary of polish on a new car...yes the idiot dealer left very slight swirls, but i put some Maguires Polish on it before the NXT 2.0 and it looked terrible. all swirly and smudgy. so i dawned the hood and just applied the nxt 2.0. was it probably just crap polish?

Polishing a new car is fine. It sounds like you are working by hand, so you should be safe with many different products. Without knowing what polish you used, it is hard to comment. You might have needed to work it differently.

I know, long list, but I`m drowning in too much info and am overloaded, so take pity on me...please
!!! :D
I just love my new car and want to protect it.
Oh, and if it matters, I probably wax/seal my vehicles about 2 or 3 times a year.

thanks very much!
jd

It is very easy to get an information overload, especially when you are new. People often get caught up in a constant bottle to find the "best" product or combination of products. The reality is that there is no "best" product, only the product that works best for you.

I suggest that you start out slowly. You should not be in a great rush to remove the current coat of NXT 2.0. It is probably doing its job of looking good and protecting the paint. If you are in a big rush to try something new, give the products I mentioned above a try. I`m sure others will post with their suggestions as well.

JaredPointer
06-16-2008, 07:09 AM
1) Any type of paint cleaning polish will remove most any LSP. Dawn won`t particularly hurt it, but there`s other options. Repeated use of Dawn is rumored to negatively affect weatherstripping and rubber.

2)Poorboy`s makes great stuff and as a manufacturer he is readily available here to ask questions, etc.

3)Don`t know much about Griot`s except - $$$$$

4)EX-P is generally touted for lighter color cars and metallics. It`s a pure sealant. EX has carnauba wax in it, and is generally thought of as a dark color LSP. You can use either or. And you can top either with a wax if you so choose.

5)to remove the micromarring you are seeing by hand will be a chore. It can be done, but you`ll need to break it down into managable sections. Don`t kill yourself chasing perfection, because if you drive the car you`re gonna get marring.

My suggestions are to do some more reading on here, don`t get "bogged down" and buy every product out there, and don`t chase perfection. On a daily driver automobile, you`ll never achieve perfection and you`ll burn yoursefl out trying. Learn the proper washing and drying techniques and that will prevent a great deal of marring right there.

There`s no "magical product" that`s going to be the best thing out there, just try to see what people have suggested for your color and then try that out. You may want to try the trading post for samples or something. Most of the time, the average Joe is not going to be able to tell one look from the other anyway.

Poorboy
06-16-2008, 08:48 AM
:welcome: to DC ... You`ve gotten some good advice above...not much more to add :howdy

jdhermit
06-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Ok, kind of got it. IF the NXT is doing a decent job of protecting, can i put Natty`s Blue go over the Nxt 2.0 decently? (blue is better for the red paint?)
Would that make sense and also be protecting my paint good?
Also, if in a couple months, then, what do I do to reapply nxt and natty`s?
I assume claying won`t be needed, but can I simply put another coat of nxt/natty over the current nxt/natty combination?
sorry, lots of questions...

:thanks

CharlesW
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
It`s great to try new products and I think we all do plenty of it, but.....
Are you unhappy with the NXT 2.0?
I used the original NXT on a red car and it looked great. To me, it seemed to darken the paint slightly which I didn`t want so I quit using it. It seemed to last the 4 to 6 weeks I go between applying an LSP and the new 2.0 version is supposed to be even better.
You are already using what I would consider a very good product. Why change? (Other than wanting to try something different.:))

RANDAL
06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
If you want something really neat for Red paint, see if Poorboys can locate some NATTYS RED WAX, you should like that if you can find some. What I have readon here is to seal the paint then wait a few days and apply a non cleaning wax. IMO>Randal

Reddwarf
06-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the forum! I think the others have added more than I can!

Bunky
06-17-2008, 11:07 AM
There`s no "magical product" that`s going to be the best thing out there, just try to see what people have suggested for your color and then try that out. You may want to try the trading post for samples or something. Most of the time, the average Joe is not going to be able to tell one look from the other anyway.

This is the best advice. There is no perfect product and often makes sense to have several that do a specific task in case one does not deliver. It may be glass cleaners, polishes, sealants, etc. Different products look different on different paints. For example, some LSP`s mute flakes others don`t. I like one product on metallic paint and another on solid color.