PDA

View Full Version : Pro Polish SSR1 question

MetalSludge
09-08-2003, 10:04 PM
I am about to apply pro polish and SSR1 in the morning. I am wandering what the correct order is. I thought it should be SSR1 then Pro Polish but after reading the threads on here it seems like it should be PP then SSR1.

Also I dont have a pc. Can I acheive good results by hand or should I wait till I get a PC to do this? I have never used a PC and scared to death to try it on my black paint.

Also should I invest in some PWC before I put on the EX?

JimS
09-09-2003, 07:23 AM
Not having a PC I`d just clay and EX. But imo you NEED to get a PC! Then and only then can you really get down to doing the job right...imo. It just makes all the difference in the world.

I don`t see the need to do PWC prior to EX as EX has carnuba in it.

MetalSludge
09-09-2003, 10:39 AM
JIM S I am very likely gonna get as soon as figure out what model # to get and what pads I am gonna need and what to use each pad with.

Thomasfl
09-09-2003, 10:56 AM
from my understanding SSR1 is a swirl remover aka a paint cleaner/polish with light abrasives. The Pro polish is a pure polish. Of course a clay would be nice but that doesn`t substitute a paint cleaner. SSR1, Pro Polish, then EX (2 or 3 layers) is a great combo, and no you won`t need a PC to do this.

NattyBumppo
09-09-2003, 12:27 PM
No problem using those product by hand. I do it all the time. IN fact, I haven`t used my PC on either of my vehicles in a couple of months.

This is just my opinion here but if it were me I would do PP, SSR1 then EX. The reason is I`ve found SSR1 to leave a very silky smooth finish with a nice gloss. PP seems to deep clean the paint leaving it almost squeaky clean. Personally, I like applying my final finish product to a smooth and slick surface.

Try one panel, say the hood both ways...one side PP/SSR1/EX and the other side SSR1/PP/EX and judge for yourself. You may like the look of one over the other but for me, I like using SSR1 as a final step before the final finish.

Boss_429
09-09-2003, 03:21 PM
Natty,

What are your thoughts on topping PWC with EX? Do you think that the durability is better with a combination of the two products?

Poorboy
09-09-2003, 04:10 PM
I have a little energy today and thought I`d chime in.
First thanks Boss...working real hard on my walking to build back my strength....

Tommy I have to agree with Natty....I`ve seen it both ways and seem to like the look of the SSR1 before either PwC or EX.

After months of personal experimentations, I seem to really still like the PwC over the EX for a daily driver. The EX is great for show vehicles and when you really are comparing POP to another show vehicle, especially have seen this on Bones when it`s been displayed at indoor shows.

Paint quality also has a lot to do with what your final results are.
One of my customers won the Street Rod show at York this year.
He has 36k invested in paint alone....he`s used numerous products over his lifetime and the PwC used after Pro-Polish was his favorite combo....IMO his paint looked awesome just after Polishing with Pro and needed nothing else , but he wanted a little more gloss to the finish and decided to go with the PwC over the EX...

Tommy I`ve seen yourtruck out at Carlisle and you really don`t need a PC if your truck looks anything like it did this past summer.
Yes it will make the work a little easier, but the glow on your truck was pretty awesome...as I told you there....

At the level of detailing we are talking about it also become very subjective to your own eye. Like Natty said try a few different sections a few different ways and decide for yourself...I know Boss does this and he`s about the biggest perfectionist I`ve ever known.

Ok I`m worn down now...talk to you all later...

ps..Tommy e-mail me if you have any questions...I might take a while to get back to you but I will......

MetalSludge
09-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Thanks Steve. And thanks for the compliments on the truck. And no the truck really hasnt gotten any worse since you seen it in Carlisle. the only thing is somehow got a few swirls on the hood that werent there but I think that was due to me washing it with poor wash stuff or when I applied a application of Pro Polish the other week and forgot to wet the applicator first but they really arent that bad as you can only see them when the light is on it just right. I am gonna hit them with some SSR1 tomorrow afternoon.

Boss_429 steered me in the right direction with my terrible washing techniques and got me to use a good car wash liquid so I think that problem has been fixed too.

Boss_429
09-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Steve,

First, take it easy on the replies. No need to rush back.

Now, I believe MetalSludge has the same underlying concern that I do........... durability through those tough winter months. Having said that, from what I`ve read, what I`ve been told, and from what I`ve seen, I would say that your PWC might be your most durable product. However, as you`ve said before, it`s not a layerable product. On the other hand, the EX might have a bit better shine, and is at least somewhat layerable. Therefore, would you agree that a coat of PWC, followed by a few coats of EX would provide maiximum protection? Or, would the EX possibly remove the PWC?

Oh yea, after trying your SSR1, I would have to agree with Natty. For maximum gloss, the SSR1 is tough to beat right before the topper. If I were going with a pure sealant system like UPP, or Zaino, I would probably go with the PP prior to the topper.

Poorboy
09-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Thanks Boss....

I can only tell you from experience and this winter I will do more of my own personal testing....the Amino Functional Resins that comprise more than 90% of EX should deliver more protection when layered on top of the PwC, and will not remove it. There are so many variables to take into account, but chemically according to my chemist it will strengthen the protection. Like you Boss, I like to see it perform myself under the conditions we deal with in the Northeast and the salt and sand mixtures used by our highway depts. have little or no uniform composition.
I do know after using the PwC last fall and driving back and forth twice daily to NYC to be with my daughter in the hospital, my truck was still beading, very shiny and reflective in the Spring, with no maintenece throughout the winter.
I find it also interesting that different paints and colors seem to react differently to the EX as far as longevity goes and my chemist has no answer other than maintenece and the different variable each person exposes their vehicle to.
As a matter of fact i received a call from a guy hoping to see me this weekend at Rhinebeck(Goodguys) show this upcoming weekend...he told me of his wide collection of products...he would fit right in here, but doesn`t do on-line forums, and his adventures through dozens of different car wash soaps. He told me of a product called Nathan`s which is very oily and seems not to disturb his application of EX, yet leaves his black `38 the envy of all who park near him at shows....go figure...:confused:
so to give blanket answers is obviously unfair to someone and somewhere it will not work for the other guy, while providing outstanding results for others...whew..that was a lot to spit out:)

Boss_429
09-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Steve,

Thanks, you answered my question........... EX over top of PWC would be more durable than either product on it`s own! That`s what I`m going with this winter. I`ll let you know next spring for sure! :D

Now, go rest!