PDA

View Full Version : Bird Sh!T problem?

Mid_KnightFD
05-29-2008, 09:07 PM
I had three little drops on the back of my wing and I forgot to wash it off for a day. Now I have these three little distortion marks. This car was just detailed by a pro. I would have thought it would have been protected better. So I went at it with some clay. I thought I got it almost all the way out. So then I hit it with some wax all by hand, just a quick fix. Looked pretty good. Then I get home from work take a look and it looks hazy and dull like it did after the clay. What the hell! Also I can see the three dots again. Do I have to break out the rotary to fix this? Its a black RX-8. It is driving me nuts. :wall How would you fix?

Beemerboy
05-29-2008, 10:16 PM
I had three little drops on the back of my wing and I forgot to wash it off for a day. Now I have these three little distortion marks. This car was just detailed by a pro. I would have thought it would have been protected better. So I went at it with some clay. I thought I got it almost all the way out. So then I hit it with some wax all by hand, just a quick fix. Looked pretty good. Then I get home from work take a look and it looks hazy and dull like it did after the clay. What the hell! Also I can see the three dots again. Do I have to break out the rotary to fix this? Its a black RX-8. It is driving me nuts. :wall How would you fix?

Don`t beat up your detailers job, it was just fine..the acid in BS will eat threw about anything on the car. From the sounds of it etched your clear a bit...if you have a rotary and know how to use it then yes with some light polish...if not and this is what I would start with is a paint cleaner by hand and some elbow grease, it will take most of it off...worse case wet sanding but I really don`t think that will be needed.

Stephan
05-30-2008, 04:19 AM
Also I carry in my car a small bottle of S&W and a MFT, this is great for times like this.

Bigs
05-30-2008, 07:08 AM
I agree with Charles on this. I think just with elbow grease you should be able to tackle this.

Great tip Stephan!

Mid_KnightFD
05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
I think high speed is the only way to fix it. I tried the clay and wax by hand.

Poorboy
05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
I think high speed is the only way to fix it. I tried the clay and wax by hand.

you need a chemical polish, like Professional Polish, not an abrasive, to remove the acids that have penetrated the surface of the clear ;)

CharlesW
05-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Keep in mind that any product that contains an abrasive will remove some of your paint. many clays contains some abrasive.
Like PB said, try a chemical polish first. It might be better to have 3 small dots rather than a portion of the clearcoat gone.

Bunky
05-31-2008, 08:54 AM
I was thinking about making a mixture of ONR at QD strength and DG APC 1:10 or 1:20 in a spray bottle as a general bug/poop remover.

Comments?

CharlesW
05-31-2008, 01:18 PM
I was thinking about making a mixture of ONR at QD strength and DG APC 1:10 or 1:20 in a spray bottle as a general bug/poop remover.

Comments?
A QD or S&W should work for you. At least it does for me. :)
The APC is likely to remove any wax and while I know that many do, I don`t personally care to use an APC on paint.