PDA

View Full Version : Which watch do you wear while detailing?

Pages : [1] 2

Jngrbrdman
05-24-2008, 06:46 PM
I`m not a watch expert or anything like that, but I typically tend to wear a watch for years and years and years before replacing it. If I get a new suit that none of my watches really match, then I`ll typically buy a new watch just for that outfit. Watches and me are sort of like shoes or hand bags for women. I`m not buying Rolex watches or anything like that, but they are nice. My new daily wear watch is a Seiko 5 Aviator model that I really like. I like it enough that I really don`t want to crack the face when I accidently smack it against something in the engine bay while detailing, so I`m just wondering what kind of watches you guys wear while detailing if you have similar concerns. If you don`t care about your watch and you just wear whatever ticks, then obviously that isn`t going to help me, but if you have found a way to protect your watch other than just taking it off, or if you know of a rubber watch that is impervious to damage or something, then by all means let me know. :)

Beercan31
05-24-2008, 07:42 PM
I Don`t wear a watch or rings nor a necklace, just never seem to get in to them.
as a life long mechanic I have seen first hand what jewelry can do to you when it completes an electrical circuit, trust me you can`t move fast enough. so as a safety factor I never wore my wedding ring to work haven`t worn it in so long could not tell you where it is, I guess i`m a basic kind`a guy
time has always been irrelevant to me,
when its light out... time to work
hungry... time to eat
dark out time to sleep.
I do carry a cell phone that I will use from time to time (no pun intended ) for the time and use a lot of the other phones options to keep my appointments in order and reminders up to date.
I do own 5 watches though, 3 my Dad gave me a few years before he passed that are as old as the hills and 2 i bought on a whim, plain Jane no frills... never wore them though. I guess I will give them to my kids later on down the road.

Beemerboy
05-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I detail naked:eek::eek::eek::eek: that way I don`t have to worry about scratching the finish:D:D...

However when I do wear a time piece its a Skagen watch...thin, light and very reliable...the one that I have, I`ve had for 6 years plus:bow:bow:bigups:bigups:bow:bow

This the model that I have only without the bling bling diamonds on the face

pt91
05-24-2008, 10:49 PM
i usually take mine off and put it on the workbench. when i finish the detail and start to put up the detailing supplies i usually detail the watch and the keys to the car.

CharlesW
05-26-2008, 04:20 PM
None!

Also not a Rolex man. More of a Timex man. :D

My dress watch is a Lord Elgin Direct Read Chevron that I purchased new in 1957.
Mine is a little nicer than the one in the photo and has a Kreisler gold filled expansion band that I purchased with it.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/CharlesEW/sch483chevron.jpg

RTexasF
05-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Charles that is really unique. I`ve never seen one like that before.

I don`t wear a watch or jewelry unless I`m dolled up going somewhere........that happens about as often as 25¢ gasoline.

JaredPointer
05-26-2008, 07:25 PM
I don`t wear any jewelry when I detail.

pogo123
05-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Not trying to take this thread off topic but please be careful when wearing jewelry around power tools and electronics. I shorted out my wedding ring on a voltage regulator one time, and by the time I got the ring off my skin came off with it, just like taking off a sock!

A friend of mine only has half a ring finger left because the ring hung up on the back of a dump truck when he jumped off. Jewelry and machinery do not go together well. Those are some nice watches though.

Reddwarf
05-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Charles, that is a cool looking watch!

I don`t usually wear a watch when I`m detailing. On the weekends I tend to wear a Tag diving watch I`ve owned for about 20 years.

Jngrbrdman
05-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I`ve seen a watch like that before. That is pretty slick. Then again, my last name is Elgan (some rebelious brother changed the spelling).

I`ve got one of those Skagen thin watches too. The problem is that the grey suede band would really get hammered detailing, so it only goes on when I`m wearing my grey suit. :) I do love that watch though...

I`m not really any closer to finding something that works well. I looked into some Swatch watches because I remember the old jelly watches with the face protectors from the 80s, but those look pretty silly these days. lol I did find a nice Swatch automatic watch that I liked. I`ll probably pick this one up if nothing else. It is another one of those "goes well with everything" kind of watches. Here is one on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140235583556&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004) that is priced way too high for what they typically go for, but you get the idea.

AhsGrad1973
05-27-2008, 03:54 AM
When I was in the military, we would wear a watch band that has a cover over the watch, which prevents scratches and glare coming off of your watch when in the field. Has a velcro strip that keeps the cover closed. Similar to the ones below:http://www.ahsweb1973.com/images/MilitaryWatchBand.jpg

Stephan
05-27-2008, 07:09 AM
I want to get a nice watch and have looked for some time, but real nice ones tend to jump in price. I have always wanted a watch with real movement, not a quartz, but those seem pricey. As for while I am detailing I take off any watch I have and ring so I don`t scratch anything...

Bigs
05-27-2008, 07:48 AM
This is what I use... Very happy and never have to worry about setting the time on it!

http://www.casio.com/resource/images/large/wv58a-9av_large.jpg

Larry A
05-27-2008, 08:54 AM
I buy the cheapest watch that I can find at Wal Mart. Im not a watch person so if it keeps good time thats all I need. I rather spend more money on detailing supplies.

Gonzo0903
05-31-2008, 05:31 PM
I take my watch off while detaling... I have a clock in the garage if I need to tell time!