PDA

View Full Version : Paint Rehab

iondrivingfoo
05-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi. I thought my first post should be about bringing my `04 Saturn Ion`s `plastic` paint job back to life. Without going into too much detail, my son and friends thought it would be cool to cover my shiny silver car with fresh mud from a summer rain shower.

While it was slightly amusing to see a dozen small children have a mud party at my expense, it was after I washed it that the party was over. It left my metal hood very scratched and the polymer plastic almost as bad.

I have used Meguiar`s Sratch X compound and find it works to get the smaller areas, but the hood is what needs the most TLC. Any suggestions on how I can do this without having to pay someone for something I can do on my own?

Thanks.

Pockets
05-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Welcome to DC :welcome: :dcrules first i have to ask you what you will be using to polish? machine? hand?

Stephan
05-12-2008, 04:04 AM
Welcome to the group:howdy

iondrivingfoo
05-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Welcome to DC :welcome: :dcrules first i have to ask you what you will be using to polish? machine? hand?

Thanks guys. I`m doing it by hand now and not using very much pressure either.

Stephan
05-12-2008, 10:48 AM
How deep are the scratches? Rule of thumb has been that if you can catch your fingernail in it, its probably to deep to be corrected...maybe you can post some pictures so we can try to evaluate your situation...

9D4E420
05-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I agree with Stephan pics please.

Bigs
05-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Welcome to DC.

That sucks man. Now, it would be a good idea to add pics like the others requested. It`s definitely doable by hand but you will require patience and good elbow grease!

iondrivingfoo
05-20-2008, 11:44 AM
I`ve been using Meguiar`s ScratchX and it works for the minor ones, but for the larger ones, I`ll take pics anyway.