PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Title Cars???

Pages : [1] 2

Beemerboy
04-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I`m familiar with what it is, but has anyone bough one with a salvage title?

What are the questions that you should be asking about the car?

Is a carfax going to tell you anything?

I see them all the time on CL and avoid them

Jngrbrdman
04-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Carfax will usually tell you that the car is a salvage title, but that isn`t always accurate. All I know is that the insurance on them is ridiculous. Rebuilt titles aren`t as bad, but salvage titles are sometimes even difficult to find a company that will insure them for any price. There is just no way to know how safe they are and how reliable they will be, so I avoid them like the plague.

Poorboy
04-28-2008, 01:34 PM
For the most part you should stay away from them, but I saw a bunch of Hondas come through here some years back that had been flooded out... all they needed was some interior cleaning and a new computer, or about $1800 worth of work for a brand new car that the insurance company sold for a few thousand each. I know a few people who bought them and had no trouble, as for reselling them, that`s a whole other matter :hmmm:

CharlesW
04-28-2008, 01:52 PM
avoid them

avoid them like the plague.

as for reselling them, that`s a whole other matter :hmmm:
Pretty well sums up my thoughts on them. :D

Beemerboy
04-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Pretty well sums up my thoughts on them. :D

So what you are saying is to avoid them?:D

Stephan
04-28-2008, 02:09 PM
There is a place that sells salvage cars in Connecticut, they tend to sell higher end cars...they have to disclose it to you the problem with the car, or why it was salvaged...well at least here they do...

CharlesW
04-28-2008, 02:13 PM
So what you are saying is to avoid them?:D
Like the plague. :D

My friend that has the body shop and used car lot buys and sells some vehicles that I wouldn`t want if they were free.
Even he draws the line at the salvage title cars. :D

Poorboy
04-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Like the plague. :D

My friend that has the body shop and used car lot buys and sells some vehicles that I wouldn`t want if they were free.
Even he draws the line at the salvage title cars. :D

What kind of friend are you that you wouldn`t take one off his hands for free :hmmm:

CharlesW
04-28-2008, 02:21 PM
What kind of friend are you that you wouldn`t take one off his hands for free :hmmm:Hey man, I`m just crazy, not stupid. :D

budman3
04-28-2008, 05:24 PM
What about Motorcycles with a salvage title? Avoid those as well?

There`s a place around here that sells salvage bikes and I have been looking for a project bike. As long as it has a good engine and straight frame, I can fix / replace the rest of the bike if the initial price is right. Bikes are a lot less confusing than cars so I`m not too worried about it breaking down on me -- if it does, it`ll give me something to work on :).

holland_patrick
04-28-2008, 05:30 PM
There is a place that sells salvage cars in Connecticut, they tend to sell higher end cars...they have to disclose it to you the problem with the car, or why it was salvaged...well at least here they do...

LINK?:yourrock

Beemerboy
04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
What about Motorcycles with a salvage title? Avoid those as well?

There`s a place around here that sells salvage bikes and I have been looking for a project bike. As long as it has a good engine and straight frame, I can fix / replace the rest of the bike if the initial price is right. Bikes are a lot less confusing than cars so I`m not too worried about it breaking down on me -- if it does, it`ll give me something to work on :).

I agree that MC are a lot less confusing and you can work on them as a project then it would be a good thing...even if it was a car that you planned on restoring then that would be about the same IMO

Stephan
04-28-2008, 06:03 PM
LINK?:yourrock

I am looking for it now, its a place on rt 5 in Wallingford...I went there and was looking at a M3, mainly because of the price, thats when I discovered it was in some water...although I must say they did a good job removing that evidence, meaning you would never tell by the look of it...

I will see if I can find you a link...

Stephan
04-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Its called imports unlimited...I would be leary buying there...but its interesting..

Imports Unlimited Home Page (http://www.luxurycars.com/)

Dozerboy
04-28-2008, 06:35 PM
I have bought a few vehicles that where salvage titles and never had any trouble getting insurance in NE it wasn`t full coverage though. In fact I don`t ever recall it being brought up same with a few of my friends too.