PDA

View Full Version : Tips for doing interiors

Pages : [1] 2

jaybs02
04-27-2008, 09:09 AM
After doing the jeep this past weekend showed how much I still need to learn about doing interiors properly.
Clean Dean was kind enough to share some tips with me (:thanks Dean) and I am always open to learn more.

I`m looking for tips on anything from cleaning carpets to headliners and everything else in between.

So what are everyones tips for getting the interior looking its best.

"J"

CharlesW
04-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Just one.
Do it often!
Interiors and engine compartments are much easier to keep clean than they are to bring back from lack of attention.

I know this won`t work for the pros, but a lot of hobby detailers let them go too long as well.

jayjacque
04-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Just one.
Do it often!
Interiors and engine compartments are much easier to keep clean than they are to bring back from lack of attention.

I know this won`t work for the pros, but a lot of hobby detailers let them go too long as well.

I know, on my wife`s and my own daily driver I put them off too long and now they`re in bad shape. I keep putting it off...

Outsides look real good though. Just don`t peek thru the windows :D

Troy@Protekt
04-27-2008, 11:08 AM
After doing the jeep this past weekend showed how much I still need to learn about doing interiors properly.
Clean Dean was kind enough to share some tips with me (:thanks Dean) and I am always open to learn more.

I`m looking for tips on anything from cleaning carpets to headliners and everything else in between.

So what are everyones tips for getting the interior looking its best.

"J"

Come to one of our clinics and I`ll show you.:D

black bart
04-27-2008, 11:40 AM
When I`m walking through a parking lot as I walk by cars I have a habit of looking in the car.
Boy a lot of them look like a hazardous waste site
I just wonder if those same peoples home looks like that :eek:

jaybs02
04-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Come to one of our clinics and I`ll show you.:D

I just may surprise you and do that.
But of course you know that will take a back seat to Sheila`s coffee and donuts :drool:

"J"

LikeaRock
04-27-2008, 12:10 PM
If you don`t already use one, use an air gun on a compressor. It`s my friggin` live saver, I can blast out all the nooks and crannies I need to. I try to stick to the same basic routine for every interior, just so I don`t get out of shape. Were you cleaning a Wrangler by any chance? If so, I know how painful they are to keep clean.

I still don`t consider myself an all-out "pro", even though it`s how I make my bread money, it`s still just as much of a hobby. I let my Jeep go too long too often, but I`m always working on it so it`s like why bother? I finally gutted the interior and cleaned it all up last week, I need it looking good for days like this when the top comes off :cool: It was bad though, 3 Tahoe trips and some minor wheeling showed inside :wow:

9D4E420
04-27-2008, 02:36 PM
If you don`t already use one, use an air gun on a compressor. It`s my friggin` live saver, I can blast out all the nooks and crannies I need to. I try to stick to the same basic routine for every interior, just so I don`t get out of shape. Were you cleaning a Wrangler by any chance? If so, I know how painful they are to keep clean.

I still don`t consider myself an all-out "pro", even though it`s how I make my bread money, it`s still just as much of a hobby. I let my Jeep go too long too often, but I`m always working on it so it`s like why bother? I finally gutted the interior and cleaned it all up last week, I need it looking good for days like this when the top comes off :cool: It was bad though, 3 Tahoe trips and some minor wheeling showed inside :wow:

I agree with LAR. An air compressor is your best friend when it comes to interiors. I always have many brushes that I use for small crevices. If there is alot of dust in an area such as an air vent I spray Stoner`s IG in the vents let it sit for a min then blast. That works real good for me. If I see lots of dirt, etc around consoles I will try to take them apart, if they have the snap in place panels and clean the pieces individually.

For carpets if you don`t have an extractor get the brush attachments for the PC. Not only will you get stains up with a carpet shampoo or APC you will get up imbedded sand and dirt. This will give the carpets a more evenly clean look. :D

Stephan
04-27-2008, 04:28 PM
My tip is a combo of what people have offered here...if its your own car then follow Charles advice, repetition...a bunch of small quick cleanings will stop you from having to do that big 3 hour long clean.

Customer cars, the air compressor is a great tool, I use the air compressor and the vacuum in unison, bloing stuff out of those tight spots right into the vacuum...

RTexasF
04-27-2008, 04:49 PM
I too favor the compressor with a sharp tipped air nozzle. Brushes of various types are wonderful, and necessary, but a blast of air can do wonders in most instances. It does scatter the dust about the cabin but since you`re aware of that, it`s Hoover City (a coined phrase) to remove it from other areas like fabric and carpets.

Troy@Protekt
04-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Having a somewhat compact mobile detailing unit for all the years I have detailed I never used an air compressor. I can see how it could help you with tight areas under the seat and such. That`s one of the benefits of using a vapor cleaner. It blows tight areas out and cleans them at the same time.

Here`s a tip if you don`t have, or don`t see the need for, an extractor. Use "The poorman`s extractor" (http://www.detailcity.com/mesh-multi-purpose-sponge.html) which is what I like to call a good quality bug sponge.

Give one a try next time you are doing some interior cleaning. Use it with your carpet & upholstery cleaner. The mesh is a good agitator and the sponge makes a decent extractor allowing you to clean the surface without getting it too wet.

Stephan
04-28-2008, 04:17 AM
Having a somewhat compact mobile detailing unit for all the years I have detailed I never used an air compressor. I can see how it could help you with tight areas under the seat and such. That`s one of the benefits of using a vapor cleaner. It blows tight areas out and cleans them at the same time.

I use a vapor cleaner as well, these tools are great, the cut alot of time out of detailing, and are great at getting set in stains in the carpets...

LikeaRock
04-29-2008, 04:48 PM

Here`s a tip if you don`t have, or don`t see the need for, an extractor. Use "The poorman`s extractor" (http://www.detailcity.com/mesh-multi-purpose-sponge.html) which is what I like to call a good quality bug sponge.

Give one a try next time you are doing some interior cleaning. Use it with your carpet & upholstery cleaner. The mesh is a good agitator and the sponge makes a decent extractor allowing you to clean the surface without getting it too wet.
Compact is working out of a Wrangler :passout::wow:

But I know what you mean. Just surprised you`ve never carried one with you? Besides interiors I like `em for blasting out water before I polish/wax a car.
My old boss (one of them) taught me how the air can save you tons of time. It works wonders for tight areas, spray some cleaner in the area, agitate it with the brush, blast it out and it looks like new

But now I no longer feel like a crazy arse for thinking I was the only one who used his/her bug sponge for upholstery :D

Bigs
04-30-2008, 07:16 AM
As I`m no where near a Pro and detailing to me is a hobby (that will start paying this year!), here are a few tips for the poor! :D

I also use an air compressor for nooks and crannies!

Poor Man`s Extractor for me is: Shop Vac, Cleaner (woolite is great), floor brush and 2 spray bottles!

A small portable Steamer for really tough stains.

Overall more expensive than the Bissell Little Green, but way cheaper than a Pro extractor.

CharlesW
04-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Poor Man`s Extractor for me is: Shop Vac, Cleaner (woolite is great), floor brush and 2 spray bottlesOne for the Woolite, one for ????.
Or maybe for two different mix ratios of the Woolite?

Meguiar`s original APC+ works for me on carpet and upholstery. At one time I mixed it at different ratios for different uses, but I now use it at 10:1, (10 parts water:1 part APC+), for everything.

FWIW, I use Woolite and water for cleaning my leather once or twice a year. Mixed 6 parts water to 1 part Woolite, it seems to be a stronger cleaner than the APC+ at 10:1. I do go over leather or vinyl with a damp cloth after the cleaner is used to remove some of the residue that it probably leaves. I follow the damp cloth with a drying towel and I`m ready for the conditioner.

Vinyl and leather gets a quick wipe down at each wash and the vinyl gets either Poorboy`s Natural Look or 303 dressing. The leather, (GM coated), gets 303 weekly with 4 Star Leather Conditioner substituted for the 303 monthly.