PDA

View Full Version : My 2 Cents on Shills

Pages : [1] 2

Troy@Protekt
04-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Let me start by saying there is no perfect forum.:(

I try to make this one as close as possible by allowing non-sponsored products and sites to be discussed here. The problem lies in the integrity of those who choose to have a product line or website promoted by sending shills onto forums. The long-time members have seen many shillls come on here over the years. Some are easy to spot and some are not.

Unfortunately when a non-sponsored line of products or website is mentioned here by a new member it does raise eyebrows. I`m sorry that this happens and I wish there was an easy way to avoid making a new member feel un-welcome when they do this.

Bottom line is there will always be shills (undercover salesman) out there but let`s all try to be a little friendlier to new members and let the moderators and I try to weed out the shills. If you suspect a shill, pm me or a moderator so we can investigate. Please don`t make public accusations or comments that cast a negative light on someone who maybe completely innocent of what you suspect them of doing.

Part of me thinks by asking everyone to be nice that it takes away some of the drama that makes a forum interesting but I will just have to find other ways to give you guys some interesting reading material on here.:D

With all that being said I do have a WARNING TO SHILLS. I may be a bit naive and choose to give people the benefit of the doubt but if I do find out with enough proof that a shill has come onto this site, I will make it public and expose you, which I promise will not be the kind of exposure you were looking for.

:cheers:

Troy

:welcome: :dcrules :welcome:

cwcad
04-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Well said, Troy!! Keep the forum going and we will try to follow in your lead. Thanks!!!

Reddwarf
04-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Good post. I like your open minded and and fair play policy.

:dcrules

CharlesW
04-19-2008, 09:20 AM
One thing I have noticed is that when a person has used a new product that has performed well, they often feel the need to "Tell the world".
It`s pretty easy for that person to be taken for a shill when it`s just enthusiasm. Kind of like the person that has just quit smoking, found religion, fallen in love. :)

Beemerboy
04-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Troy, I was thinking about this last night, this forum is one if not the best that I post on...totaling about six...the no bull pucky approach is great, you get honest answers and that`s in part what this was all designed to be..The thing that got me thinking about this is a BMW site that I post at and how opinionated some seem to be there...to the point of stuckup...drives me crazy.

Anyway as for the shills they will always try but the policing of this site will not let them get far and that`s why I like it here

Thanks from your Tuna loving buddy in Nor Cal!

Poorboy
04-19-2008, 10:14 AM
One thing I have noticed is that when a person has used a new product that has performed well, they often feel the need to "Tell the world".
It`s pretty easy for that person to be taken for a shill when it`s just enthusiasm. Kind of like the person that has just quit smoking, found religion, fallen in love. :)

Charles, I disagree a bit here ... it`s only when a new member that has no history with the forum at all, comes to the forum and with their first couple posts makes claims and raves about a product that most OCDer`s have not even heard of, that they get treated as shills/ spammers.
If a newbee comes on and raves about a Meguiar`s or Mother`s product that they found at a major chain store, then it`s usually thought of as a true newbee to the detailing field.

just my observations:)

jayjacque
04-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Just a guess, but you probably get the occasional shill who maybe makes a few generic posts so as to not be conspicuous, then all of a sudden starts raving about a particular product? Or do they all just right away show their colors? (not trying to give anybody any ideas here LOL)

Troy@Protekt
04-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Troy, I was thinking about this last night, this forum is one if not the best that I post on...totaling about six...the no bull pucky approach is great, you get honest answers and that`s in part what this was all designed to be..The thing that got me thinking about this is a BMW site that I post at and how opinionated some seem to be there...to the point of stuckup...drives me crazy.

Sharing opinions is a big part of what a forum is so being opinionated isn`t necessarily bad. Your just mad cuz they don`t agree with you huh? :rofl

Thanks from your Tuna loving buddy in Nor Cal!

I want it noted that you are now the one who won`t let the tuna thing go. :D

Troy@Protekt
04-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Just a guess, but you probably get the occasional shill who maybe makes a few generic posts so as to not be conspicuous, then all of a sudden starts raving about a particular product? Or do they all just right away show their colors? (not trying to give anybody any ideas here LOL)

As I said before. Some are easy to spot and some aren`t. Just consider the source when someone says something is great. Like if a guy that sells Four Star products and moves into the front of their building starts telling you how great Four Star Products are.:huh: Oh wait that`s me! :redface: :lmfao

(This gives me the urge to dig out the subliminal thread again.):dnaughty

CharlesW
04-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Charles, I disagree a bit here ... As has been mentioned before, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even when they are wrong. :D

CharlesW
04-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Just a guess, but you probably get the occasional shill who maybe makes a few generic posts so as to not be conspicuous, then all of a sudden starts raving about a particular product? Or do they all just right away show their colors? (not trying to give anybody any ideas here LOL)While that does sometimes happen, most of them don`t go to the effort of sneaking in. It`s just one and done. :)

Beemerboy
04-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Sharing opinions is a big part of what a forum is so being opinionated isn`t necessarily bad. Your just mad cuz they don`t agree with you huh? :rofl

No that`s not it, on the BMW forums they act like any other car is not worth driving...A huge thread was about the new Chrysler 300 and those guys comparing it to a 7 series car...you would think there was going to be a war over what was stated.

I want it noted that you are now the one who won`t let the tuna thing go. :D

Its a rolling joke now...bring it on I love it!!!!:D

black bart
04-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Well this can work both ways.
I tried a relatively new product this week and it was the first time for me and I`m sure that several here have not used it.

I really liked the results but did not post because I did not want to come off looking like I was pushing this product so I just kept my findings to myself :yikes:

Poorboy
04-19-2008, 11:54 AM
As I said before. Some are easy to spot and some aren`t. Just consider the source when someone says something is great. Like if a guy that sells Four Star products and moves into the front of their building starts telling you how great Four Star Products are.:huh: Oh wait that`s me! :redface: :lmfao

(This gives me the urge to dig out the subliminal thread again.):dnaughty

but he also sells Poorboy`s and keeps them right where you check out :notme:

Poorboy
04-19-2008, 11:56 AM
As has been mentioned before, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even when they are wrong. :D

Glad you could admit it when you are wrong Charles :bow:bow