PDA

View Full Version : Thought they were swirls

gotgone
04-16-2008, 10:31 PM
I have ablack miata with single stage paint. The previous owner must have dry washed it more than once. There were several scratches and what I thought were swirls especially on the hood. I put 4 coats of scrach x on the hood and got about 80% of the scratches out. I then put 2 coats of duragloss 651 and 105 on it. After finishing it I opened the garage door and when the sun hit it I was shocked. I ordered a PC7424 and an assortment of ccs pads. I also got PB ssr2.5 and ssr1.0. Thinking I had swirls. After reading an earlier post that showed swirls and marring I guess I was wrong. Based on the pics I saw I have marring. I had originally planned on using the ssr1.0 amd a white pad. If the problem was still there moving to the 2.5 on a white pad. If no decent results, I plan on 2.5 and an orange pad. Since it appears I don`t have swirls, did I buy the wrong products? I don`t mind buying something else if my choice of products was incorrect. If the the PB products are ok for my problem, is my plan of attack correct? Thanks for any advice.

RTexasF
04-17-2008, 03:48 AM
It appears to be a sound plan to me. Don`t skip 1.0 and an orange pad while checking to see what will work. I`ve had that work when nothing else would. Good luck

cwcad
04-17-2008, 05:43 AM
I would always use the least agressive pad and product first, to see if correction can be made. One can always step up later with pad and product to get the desired result.

gotgone
04-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the advice folks. Just gotta wait on the delivery. I am thinking about going to one of the local u-pull-it yards, and getting a body panel to practice on.

Poorboy
04-17-2008, 08:38 AM
with the PC you don`t have a lot to worry about ;)
I`d go with the SSR2.5 and an orange pad ...remember to work it at at speed of 5-6 after spreading :)

9D4E420
04-17-2008, 09:03 AM
You might have to buff certain areas twice to get the deeper swirls and marring out. Pick up a halogen work light if you can at Home Depot for like 25 bones. Then you can really see what you are doing. The lights will reveal stuff you never knewe was there. Let us know how you make out. Following up with a glaze like PB black Hole would really help the paint.

gotgone
04-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks again. 40 years of hand detailing my own cars. I feel like an idiot. My wife and kids say I am completely repulsive or is it obsessive compulsive. Let`s just call it anal.

9D4E420
04-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks again. 40 years of hand detailing my own cars. I feel like an idiot. My wife and kids say I am completely repulsive or is it obsessive compulsive. Let`s just call it anal.

Just remember if anyone understands it`s everyone here on DC! It`s cool man be proud and take pride in the obsession!