PDA

View Full Version : Some people just don`t deserve a computer!!!

Pages : [1] 2

OCD_Maniac
04-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi all,

Auto-detailing for me a great hobby but I do IT work as a living. right now I work for an accounting firm as their IT guy and I have to say over the six years I have been fixing computers, some people just don`t deserve to work on a computer.

Here at work, I have dealt with people who don`t even know how to freaking save a document onto a USB drive. I also remember one time when I build a computer for a client and the the next day, she yells at me saying when she first turns on her computer, there is nothing on the screen.

We travel to her location and looked at the setup. Turns out she hooked up the blue color monitor cable to the serial port on the back of the computer!!!!!! lololololol.

I don`t know how she got the monitor cable to plug in but she got it to fit on the serial port. Some people arrrrrggghhhhhh.

Stephan
04-07-2008, 12:36 PM
I work on computers alot, not for my work but as a hobby, so I get calls all the time from friends and family asking me to fix their PC...I know how you feel its easy to get aggrevated because of your level of expertice...

But you would think basics like that would be known by anyone, especially how did they fit the connector???

I remember reading those Dell tech calls that were humorous...like that one guy who called saying his cup holder broke, when they asked what cupholder he replied the one with 4x written on it...referring to the CD drive (see its old saying 4x)

Jngrbrdman
04-07-2008, 12:56 PM
This is why I don`t work in IT anymore. I used to support a dozen offices around the country and one of them called one day to say that after they moved one of the employees desks they suddenly lost access to the network and everything that wasn`t on the local machine. I couldn`t ping the machine and as far as I was concerned it wasn`t connected to anything other than power. Sure enough, they didn`t even bother to connect the computer to the network. They moved the desk to the middle of the room and figured it would just magically connect to the internet. Morons.... Knowing how to set up a computer should be a requirement for anyone using one if you ask me.

Beemerboy
04-07-2008, 01:46 PM
If it wasn`t for the technology challenged people you IT people wouldn`t have a job...you might think of it that way

OCD_Maniac
04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
oh wow beemerboy,

not knowing how to save a file in a usb flash drive and a lack of common sense is challenging.....way to go bro.

Beemerboy
04-07-2008, 03:12 PM
oh wow beemerboy,

not knowing how to save a file in a usb flash drive and a lack of common sense is challenging.....way to go bro.

Maybe what you think is easy in the computer world is challenge to others...Its why there is a job for IT workers...I just happen to be a partner in a IT company and when we get calls like this...I only think one thing $$$

I would bet that if you stopped 20 people on a side walk and asked them what a USB flash drive is better than half would have no idea...I`m not trying to be a smart a$$ about this at all

JaredPointer
04-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi all,

Auto-detailing for me a great hobby but I do IT work as a living. right now I work for an accounting firm as their IT guy and I have to say over the six years I have been fixing computers, some people just don`t deserve to work on a computer.

Here at work, I have dealt with people who don`t even know how to freaking save a document onto a USB drive. I also remember one time when I build a computer for a client and the the next day, she yells at me saying when she first turns on her computer, there is nothing on the screen.

We travel to her location and looked at the setup. Turns out she hooked up the blue color monitor cable to the serial port on the back of the computer!!!!!! lololololol.

I don`t know how she got the monitor cable to plug in but she got it to fit on the serial port. Some people arrrrrggghhhhhh.

What about people who don`t know how to change the oil in their car? Wire up a house? Fix leaky plumbing?

Not everyone is computer literate - just like everyone`s not a detailer. I can see where you might get frustrated, but not everyone is going to know. I know how to do things like change the oil in my vehicle, but that doesn`t mean the people who don`t know are morons. They probably just know about other stuff.

Jngrbrdman
04-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, but you should know that if you don`t connect the internet to your computer then the internet isn`t going to work. Do these people expect water to come out of the faucet just because they put it near a sink? There is common knowledge and then there is the specialized knowledge that keeps IT folks in jobs. If you have spent any time on a computer at all then you should know how to save data to a drive even if it is a portable one.

Scott P
04-07-2008, 09:42 PM
I once had a guy ask me "How do I get rid of all these extra cells in Excel?" Yeah, that took some `splainin.

CharlesW
04-07-2008, 11:29 PM
not knowing how to save a file in a usb flash drive and a lack of common sense is challenging.
I would bet that if you stopped 20 people on a side walk and asked them what a USB flash drive is better than half would have no idea.
I definitely fall into the ignorant field here.
I don`t feel in the least bit challenged since I not only have no idea what a USB flash drive is, I have no interest whatsoever in what it is for or how to use it.
Since I don`t have one, it seems logical I don`t need one. If a tool or piece of equipment fills a need for me, how it works is not at all important. Obviously, I need to know how to use the features I am interested in, but beyond that, how things work are not that big of a deal for me.

Cell phones are a good example. I have one that has many features including a camera, calendars, alarms, text messaging and who knows what else. I have it to make and receive phone calls and those features I am familiar with. I have no idea how to send or receive a text message. Don`t have any interest in it at all.

Stephan
04-08-2008, 04:15 AM
What we have to understand as people who are computer experts, is that there is a large population of this country and others who do use a computer for specific functions and know what to do efficiently in that function and can thrive in that function, yet remove them from that element or ask them to step outside that boundary and it can become confusing.

Like others have said you have to remember that not everyone will share your level of thought on the subject, so just take the time to try to explain it to them and maybe you will then educate someone on that particular matter.

RANDAL
04-08-2008, 07:22 AM
I just want the puter to work on the enternet and tahts all. With slow speed its about all i can ask. In high school we got a coputer when I was a junior, in was in the most innimadating teachers room, and i WASNT IN ANYU OF HIS CLASSES ANY LONGER. In college moost of us paid a guy to run of soe sheets that was for class. Side note fro that class: we evailuated instructors every class evry quater that was the only one they id not ask the cass to do an evaluation, WE Demanded them that time!! Ive been changing oil for pay since 1989, llearned siple electrical in ag classes in high school, detailing or as i put it cleaning cars with proper methods since Dec 2005. Computers I dont understand, just want it to work. RANDAL

CharlesW
04-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Yeah, but you should know that if you don`t connect the internet to your computer then the internet isn`t going to work. Do these people expect water to come out of the faucet just because they put it near a sink?Interesting analogy. :)
That could very well be how at least four families I know of think of computer internet access. All four use laptops and do not subscribe to any internet provider. Just turn them on and ride someone else`s wireless connection. No doubt someone in each household knows what is happening, but to some of the family, it was just a case of buying a computer and turning it on. No connecting to anything.
(I`m not at all familiar with their plumbing, though.)

If you have spent any time on a computer at all then you should know how to save data to a drive even if it is a portable one.True if you have need of saving files, but many people don`t have any interest in keeping information on their computer. Almost all the information I keep is within a specific program, (A tax program for instance), and it prompts me for saving any data considered important to keep. Same thing for documents. My e-mail empties my bulk mail periodically without my having to worry about it. My regular e-mail is usually deleted as soon as I have read it.
To me, keeping a bunch of information you "might need someday" is kind of like keeping a lot of paper around that you will most likely never look at again.
Take a look at some of the files you have saved and honestly assess their value to you. Most of us have a lot of information stored that we never or seldom use.

This reminds me that I need to do some sorting of detail products to reduce the clutter. :D

Stephan
04-08-2008, 07:40 AM
This reminds me that I need to do some sorting of detail products to reduce the clutter. :D

Can I have the stuff you are not going to keep?:D

Big Leegr
04-08-2008, 08:49 AM

Gonna be some QD`s, perhaps? :cool: