PDA

View Full Version : Mileage on Low Profile Tires????

Pages : [1] 2 3

Beemerboy
04-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I had my 540 serviced yesterday and the mechanic notes tires should be changed soon.:eek: I have 16K on the tires so far, and they look OK to me...I checked the wear bar and there is still some good mileage that I can see.

I`m running Toyo Proxes on 18`s staggered.... I have balanced them on a regular bases, check the air pressure and aligned the front end....Its not possible to take better care of tires!:D

So is getting about 20K on a set of tires about right? seems a bit low to me, or is this based on the tires quality....

I know that Toyo is not the highest priced tires on the market so is that one of the factors in lower mileage tires?

Thanks just a bit taken back by the mechanics comment is all:huh:

Poorboy
04-04-2008, 10:06 AM
I had my 540 serviced yesterday and the mechanic notes tires should be changed soon.:eek: I have 16K on the tires so far, and they look OK to me...I checked the wear bar and there is still some good mileage that I can see.

I`m running Toyo Proxes on 18`s staggered.... I have balanced them on a regular bases, check the air pressure and aligned the front end....Its not possible to take better care of tires!:D

So is getting about 20K on a set of tires about right? seems a bit low to me, or is this based on the tires quality....

I know that Toyo is not the highest priced tires on the market so is that one of the factors in lower mileage tires?

Thanks just a bit taken back by the mechanics comment is all:huh:

that`s not unusual for a tire on a car like yours... I`m betting your tires are "z" rated and handle great, made for speed, but they wear faster than an all season tire ;)

Stephan
04-04-2008, 10:07 AM
I think it ends up on how the tire is rated, meaning speed ratings...also I would think if the tire is a soft or hard tire...and how you drive them...

I have a Murano, as you know and I got 40,000 miles on my OEM piece of (Insert explitive here) tires...

However its also a Murano, so I couldn`t gun it, or try to take agressive corners with it, mainly well it just can`t do that...not to say you did that with your beemer but you could and that can lead to the shortened life of the tire.

This is just my two cents, I really don`t have a clue what I am talking about...have you tried polishing them?:D

norahcrv
04-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Interesting that you should bring this up, Dave :bigups

Bryce just had a service done on his Fit & at only 16,600 miles his Dunlop SP31`s are showing wear bars . . . I know that OEM tires aren`t great, but I couldn`t believe that is "normal" . . .maybe that`s part of the "low profile" nature?? :confused:

Beemerboy
04-04-2008, 10:11 AM
that`s not unusual for a tire on a car like yours... I`m betting your tires are "z" rated and handle great, made for speed, but they wear faster than an all season tire ;)

They are Z rated tires but I`m looking online and its also based on the quality of the tires...If I spend a bit more then I would get better mileage...I have to weight that out soon

I think it ends up on how the tire is rated, meaning speed ratings...also I would think if the tire is a soft or hard tire...and how you drive them...

I have a Murano, as you know and I got 40,000 miles on my OEM piece of (Insert explitive here) tires...

However its also a Murano, so I couldn`t gun it, or try to take agressive corners with it, mainly well it just can`t do that...not to say you did that with your beemer but you could and that can lead to the shortened life of the tire.

This is just my two cents, I really don`t have a clue what I am talking about...have you tried polishing them?:D

On my Murano I got 32K on the OEM...my fault I didn`t pay attention to the front end on one tire and it required replacement

Stephan
04-04-2008, 10:15 AM
They are Z rated tires but I`m looking online and its also based on the quality of the tires...If I spend a bit more then I would get better mileage...I have to weight that out soon

On my Murano I got 32K on the OEM...my fault I didn`t pay attention to the front end on one tire and it required replacement

I rotated mine religiously every 5,000 miles...

Get some Michelen Pilot Sports...those are nice tires...

Poorboy
04-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Dave you won`t get much more on any other tire, it`s the compounds used to make the "Z" rating that makes them softer and thus can handle better and resist heat better.

Nourah, was Bryce rotating and checking the tire pressure often? In your weather it`s very important to keep the correct tire pressure.. he should have gotten 40-50K from them ...OEM`s and the first set on a car are the longest lasting... as your suspension wears and the struts and shock absorbers do more of the work, the wear on each set will decline.

Stephan..all i can say is :hotrod:

Poorboy
04-04-2008, 10:19 AM
ps ..proper alignment is also very important as well as rotation ;)

Stephan
Stephan..all i can say is :hotrod:

:lol2:God I miss having a car...

Beemerboy
I rotated mine religiously every 5,000 miles...

Get some Michelen Pilot Sports...those are nice tires...

I`m running staggered rims so balancing is the best that I can do...I knew this going in but wasn`t really think 16 to 20K was the max

JaredPointer
04-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I know the situations are completely different, but I know a guy who just purchased a new set of Michelin LTX MS for his T100. He replaced an exact pair that he had gotten 147,000 miles out of. Wow. I thinks I will be looking into Michelins next go round.

Meow.

Poorboy
04-04-2008, 10:21 AM
I know the situations are completely different, but I know a guy who just purchased a new set of Michelin LTX MS for his T100. He replaced an exact pair that he had gotten 147,000 miles out of. Wow. I thinks I will be looking into Michelins next go round.

he sounds like a highway driver which will do very little wear compared to around town driving .. I do love my Michelin`s though :love:

Beemerboy
04-04-2008, 10:22 AM

Meow.

147K on one set of tires?

That has to be a record:D

JaredPointer
04-04-2008, 10:22 AM
he sounds like a highway driver which will do very little wear compared to around town driving .. I do love my Michelin`s though :love:

Some highway driving with a pretty fair deal of trail/offroad driving during the hunting season.

Meow.

Stephan
04-04-2008, 10:23 AM

Meow.

Wow...thats amazing, especially on a truck that size...

I don`t even get that much mileage out of a car, let alone tires...

I switched to Michelens on my Murano, although there are only three tire choices for my car, must be a odd size tire...