PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous windshield damage

TRD_Power
03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
My windshield has A LOT of wear and tear from over the years, it almost looks like it had been sand blasted or something, especially in the sunshine. There are thousands upon thousands of microscopic nicks and chips throughout the whole windshield. This makes it hard for me to see in the rain because the glare. I was wondering if there is some sort of product that I could run over it almost like a wax that would fill in the chips and windshield wiper scratches. Thanks a bunch!

Beemerboy
03-27-2008, 06:11 PM
My windshield has A LOT of wear and tear from over the years, it almost looks like it had been sand blasted or something, especially in the sunshine. There are thousands upon thousands of microscopic nicks and chips throughout the whole windshield. This makes it hard for me to see in the rain because the glare. I was wondering if there is some sort of product that I could run over it almost like a wax that would fill in the chips and windshield wiper scratches. Thanks a bunch!

Glass is a tricky one to work on because its so hard...my suggestion is take a hammer to it and get the insurance to replace it:D.....I`m just kidding about the hammer but a replacement is what I would be looking at...there are no real good glass fillers that would improve the clarity or integrity of the glass at this point...if you where talking about one or two places that would different.

There are polishing kits on the market but those are to be used with a buffer in order to get results, but again since you are talking about a big window that`s a different thing all in itself

Stephan
03-27-2008, 06:20 PM
I am with Dave here...take the hammer and say it was a rock...

I have the same issue with my cars, alot of high way driving plus sand equals impossible to see out of windshield not matter how clean it is...

unfortunately there is not much that can be done.

pogo123
03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
TRD_Power the advice given here about replacing your windshield is good advice, but the advice about insurance fraud is probably not so good.:notme:

If the windshield is dangerous as is, then your insurance company may be willing to replace it anyway.

TRD_Power
03-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Awesome thanks for all the help, guys! I think that the hammer idea may be a bit much ;) however, I do believe that the damages will be enough to have it replaced.

David Fermani
03-28-2008, 06:04 PM
If that was the case, everyone would be getting new windshields every few months and our rates would go through the roof. It`s normal wear and tear. Your insurance company won`t pay for it.

DFTowel
03-29-2008, 10:28 AM
... It`s normal wear and tear. Your insurance company won`t pay for it.

Actually that`s not true. I have GEICO and a couple of years ago I read in their magazine about their windshield preventative maintenance. Basically they will come to your home or office or wherever and inspect the windshield for excessive wear and any damage. If they can repair it they will do so, if not they replace the windshield.

Because of this program I had the windshields replaced on three cars in a week! The only damage to the windshields was moderate to serious pitting like you describe

Check with your insurance company if they offer such a program.

jaybs02
03-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Actually that`s not true. I have GEICO and a couple of years ago I read in their magazine about their windshield preventative maintenance. Basically they will come to your home or office or wherever and inspect the windshield for excessive wear and any damage. If they can repair it they will do so, if not they replace the windshield.

Because of this program I had the windshields replaced on three cars in a week! The only damage to the windshields was moderate to serious pitting like you describe

That really makes sense.
It`s much cheaper to replace a windshield than it would be to pay for other repairs (or worse) due to lessened visibility, from a road worn windshield.

"J"

David Fermani
03-31-2008, 09:29 PM

I spoke to a Gieco appraiser today and their policy is to repair chipping (flaking of the glass without cracking) as long as it`s not in the "critical viewing area". If it impedes the driver`s view, they won`t attempt repair and will replace it under their glass replacement policy. They will not repair "pits" in the glass (approximate size of a ball point pen) because they view this as common and are considered "normal wear & tear" of a vehicle. If these pits are severe enough(like you described) to in fact interfere with the driver`s line of direct view, they will opt to replace it.

RyansAutoDetail
07-12-2008, 06:22 PM
best bet is to replace it because even if u found a method of restoring the glass or a detailer experienced in window restoration, when its all set and done you probably arent going to save any money or not enough to make restoration worth your while, the best bet is to get a new windsheild and fully get it cleaned before installation and then treated right away with rain-x and you should be on your way !

Bunky
07-12-2008, 07:28 PM
I just checked and it only costs around $231 by Safelite to get a windshield replaced. I was expecting a lot more.

RTexasF
07-12-2008, 07:57 PM
I also have Geico but with a $250 deductible. I had it replaced out of pocket for less than $190 and they came to the house and did it. Check with your insurance peeps first, it may cost more to use them than just coughing up. The price through the insurance company was $460 of which I would pay $250!

Bunky
07-12-2008, 08:06 PM
The "regular" price was $470 or so but they were giving a discount. I agree. If you have a higher deductible, it may be cheaper to go direct.