PDA

View Full Version : Tiny black dots all over my car

Pages : [1] 2

p_dubs
03-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Hi guys,
I was washing my car today and notice many tiny black dots on the rear deck. The dots appear to be smooth against the paint and about a the size of a pencil tip (.5 mm). I tried using a AIO and Maguiars fine polish and the dots will be removed after applying a lot of pressure. i also tried using Rain-X Bug and Tar remover and it took a lot of pressure to get it out. Do any one out there know what this stuff is and how to remove them?

jaybs02
03-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Hi dubs, any pics of the offending marks.
how long did you let the bug and tar remover dwell before you tried to remove it.

"J"

David Fermani
03-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Overspray maybe? Try a mild clay.

Scott P
03-23-2008, 08:55 AM
They might be small droplets of sap. I get these little black "bumps" that size on my paint. I soak them a in some spray and wipe to get them off. I even use my finger nail (gasp!) gently to lightly scrape them if they are stubborn.

p_dubs
03-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the advice, how long should I allow the sap/tar remover sit? Have anyone try using kerosene?

jaybs02
03-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Follow the directions on the can, but I don`t think that letting it sit for a few minutes will hurt.
I`m not a fan of using kerosene, but I have heard people that will use it. I think with the number of products out there, there would be one that would fix the problem.

"J"

pogo123
03-23-2008, 02:31 PM
What color is your car, and do you park it near mulch? If so it could be artillery fungus (cannon fungus).

Artillery Fungus information from Henry`s Housework, a Maryland pressure washing company.. (http://www.henryshousework.com/Artillery_Fungus.html)

I had this problem with my wifes white car that was parked next to our house where we had mulched around the shrubs. I ended up replacing the mulch with a different product.

LuxuryDetail
03-23-2008, 06:32 PM
sounds like something a clay bar can remove. That would be my first choice before ever rubbing hard!

Clay it

dr_detail
03-23-2008, 07:52 PM
...try using kerosene?
Kerosene will be safe to try, make sure to wash and protect (wax/seal/glaze) the vehicle when you`re done.

sounds like something a clay bar can remove. That would be my first choice before ever rubbing hard!

Clay it
Gonna go out on a limb here Lux-O-D.... as a professional detailer claying the whole car takes you like what three minutes???

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/detail-city-opinion-polls/23425-professional-detailers-how-long-does-take-you-basic-wash-vacuum-clients-car.html#post243023

Fishpimp
03-23-2008, 08:13 PM
OH my gosh! LOL

Any ways alcohol should remove them go 50/50.

LuxuryDetail
03-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Gonna go out on a limb here Lux-O-D.... as a professional detailer claying the whole car takes you like what three minutes???
-4 minutes if the clay bar is still in packaging.
-5 minutes if you need to refill your clay lube bottle.
-10 minutes if you have to have a few words with the client before hand.
-and 15 minutes to pee , then come back and start the process!

yea.... it gets tricky

:dnaughty

Billd
03-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Artillery Fungus.....I know them as Artillery Spores. Do a google search. I had one run in with them on a black car. What I had was a dark brown raised spot, a little less than 1/16 inch across, lots of them, mostly on the side of the car that faces the edge of my driveway that had mulch, the other side was grass. It was an old mid 80`s model with single stage paint. Nothing I tried would remove them, even paint thinner. You could scrape them off with your finger nail, but it would leave a mark on the paint, like a scratch. I ended up paying some one to use a rotary and polishing compound to get them off. If anyone has a better way to remove them, I`d like to know.

p_dubs
03-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks a bunch for the info. I`ll start with the clay first. The car is white so it is very noticeable when you`re close. The affected area is on the rear deck of the SUV, so it is essentially a vertical surface, spraying it with the tar remover will only yield a mess on the garage floor.

Stephan
03-24-2008, 04:36 AM
What color is your car, and do you park it near mulch? If so it could be artillery fungus (cannon fungus).

Artillery Fungus information from Henry`s Housework, a Maryland pressure washing company.. (http://www.henryshousework.com/Artillery_Fungus.html)

I had this problem with my wifes white car that was parked next to our house where we had mulched around the shrubs. I ended up replacing the mulch with a different product.

Excellent post, and thats probably what it is...I get that ocaisonally...stupid mulch...anyways , it can be a bear to remove, but I have usually gotten them off with polish...

dr_detail
03-24-2008, 05:05 PM
-4 minutes if the clay bar is still in packaging.
-5 minutes if you need to refill your clay lube bottle.
:dnaughtyWill this be included on the video???? :rofl