PDA

View Full Version : The chat room 03/19/08?

Pages : [1] 2

CharlesW
03-19-2008, 09:47 PM
I`m not much of a chatter, but evidently you people aren`t chatters, either. :confused:

RANDAL
03-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Ill be ging back after reading forums here and BB:dcrules

rabbi
03-20-2008, 07:34 AM
When I logged out of the chatroom last night at 9pm there were only 4 members there. CWCAD,Nourah,rabbi and Steve.:passout:

cwcad
03-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Even though there were not many in the chatroom fun was had by all. The longer we do it the more people will becoming willing to participate.

Missed you Randal with one L. Everyone asked about you. Glad that you are watching the BB games.

Pander5
03-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Sorry guys/gals. I was actually working last night on a badly swirled 2002 Honda CRV. Finished it up around 10:30 and was simply too pooped to do anything but grab a bite and hit the hay!

Poorboy
03-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Ill be ging back after reading forums here and BB:dcrules

yup we were there and we missed you :howdy

RANDAL
03-20-2008, 10:34 AM
BB means Binder Bulletin, thats for info on the International Harvester products such as my scout. I went to a meeting on the possibility of having a COOP type of grocery store, the old one closed 1 1/2 years ago, and the locals are looking to get one going. They are looking for donations from out of state interests, in state can own stock in the business. RANDAL

CharlesW
03-20-2008, 11:55 AM
I went to a meeting on the possibility of having a COOP type of grocery store, the old one closed 1 1/2 years ago, and the locals are looking to get one going. They are looking for donations from out of state interests, in state can own stock in the business. RANDAL
They did this in Mt. Ayr, Iowa. I think it is called "Community Grocer`s".
If you haven`t already talked to anyone involved with that project, it might be worth the time to check them out. It has been in operation for several years, but I don`t really know how strong it is financially.

RANDAL
03-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Ther`s one in Anita, they use the former downtown store, they had a poor manager to start with. The one Exira is basing the store on is in fontonelle. They built new building etc, but got some refurbished coolers. We have a cooler builder and refurbisher in Audubon calleed Equipment brokers. Big coolers are not cheap, the one at the fair grounds is 5 feet wide and cost nearly$2300. Walked into the door and said "who do I pay", so i bought a share in the coop. Neeed to raise another $200k in 6 months. They did $100k in 100 days. Not everyone has beeen contacted for donations, even the bank hasnt come forward with financial support, nor were any employees there last night. I really never did much business there, but now we are down to 1 grocery store in the county and thats not good. Both towns here are only 30-33 miles from fareway, hyvee, and walmart supercenters, in Carroll and Atlantic.

Poorboy
03-20-2008, 04:38 PM
T I really never did much business there, but now we are down to 1 grocery store in the county and thats not good. Both towns here are only 30-33 miles from fareway, hyvee, and walmart supercenters, in Carroll and Atlantic.

wow that`s pretty far to go to shop :eek: ..that`s $25 in gas alone :passout:

CharlesW
03-20-2008, 04:52 PM
wow that`s pretty far to go to shop :eek: ..that`s $25 in gas alone :passout:
Welcome to the country. :)
The people get used to having to drive a long distance since it is just a part of life.
Chances are, they can drive that 30 miles about as quickly as you can get to many stores in your area.
We usually think of the travel to places in miles figuring we can cover roughly a mile a minute.
In the metropolitan areas, they speak travel in the time to get there.
When we are at the lake, it is 20 miles to the nearest grocery store that have limited selection and 40 miles to a Wal*Mart and several grocery stores.
If we really need something, we usually just head back to Ankeny, (90 Miles, 1.5 hours or less), where in a 3 block area we have Target, Wal*Mart, Home Depot, and Menards.
It`s better for my disposition to drive the 180 miles and be sure of finding what we need compared to driving the 80 miles on a wasted trip.
Small town or rural living has both good and bad points. I grew up in a town of about 500 people and I can`t imagine going back there to live. I think it`s only about 300 people now. Once they lost their school, the town just died. Progress? Who knows, but it is what happens.

black bart
03-20-2008, 05:29 PM
I spent 42 years as a long distance trucker.
I have been in every major city and most of them many times and I have no desire to even visit the city much less live in one.

I live in a rural area but we have a Handy Andy just 0.5 mile from the house.
They have gas and bread and milk and things like that but we have to drive 7 miles to 50.000 population city to get most things.

I can pull out of my drive and put it up to 80 mph if i wanted to NO stop lights and I typically drive the 7 miles in 6 or 7 minutes some times less.
In a major city 7 minutes in rush hour may be 7 blocks not 7 miles so if you are talking miles I have to drive farther than the city dwellers but in driving time I can be to a Wal Mart in less time than most of them in the city.

When I lookout the front window of my home I see deer and trees instead of cars and traffic jams.

Yep I like being a Countrybunkin it ain`t all that bad.:)

RANDAL
03-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Charles where did you grow up? What lake do you go to that is 90 miles from Ankeny? If its out y way, there are a lot of good grocery stores in most small towns, except Exira, we dont have a pharmacy anymore, only one cafe down by hiway 71, no hardware store or luber yard, one full service gas station and most used business in town the CASEYS store.But we have one of the biggest 4th of July parades and celebrations!!!!!!!

CharlesW
03-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Charles where did you grow up? Lorimor, IA. It`s on Hwy 169 South of Winterset about 15 miles.
Actually, that`s just where I spent the first 18 years of my life. I never did grow up. :)

What lake do you go to that is 90 miles from Ankeny? Sun Valley Lake. It`s 20 miles West of I35 on county road J20.

If its out y way, there are a lot of good grocery stores in most small towns, except Exira, we dont have a pharmacy anymore, only one cafe down by hiway 71, no hardware store or luber yard, one full service gas station and most used business in town the CASEYS store.But we have one of the biggest 4th of July parades and celebrations!!!!!!!The nearest grocery store is in Tingley, 9 miles away, and it carries even less stock than a Casey`s. They try, but they just can`t carry the inventory. I think a wealthy resident subsidizes it just to keep it open. Mt. Ayr is about 20+ miles and has two grocery stores and a Casey`s, but we don`t ever have much luck finding what we want. If we go to Creston, it`s about 40+ miles and the town has a pretty good selection of stores. The reason for coming back to Des Moines and Ankeny is the fact that I know we will find everything we need. It is very frustrating to make the 80 mile round trip to Creston and still come up empty handed.

Poorboy
03-20-2008, 09:09 PM
I can`t even imagine not having a grocery store less than a mile away or even three within 2 miles. :eek:
Walmart is about 5 miles, but I have malls and shopping centers all around:dnaughty .. never a lack of shopping alternatives:rockon