PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Seal?

CharlesW
03-15-2008, 10:28 PM
While browsing a few forums, I noticed a few comments from people that didn`t like the look of Opti-Seal.
They didn`t appear to be really putting it down or saying brand "X" looked better, just a general statement by a few that they didn`t care for the look.
I thought the stuff looked great so am I too easily swayed or is it another case of "In the eye of the beholder`?
Any thoughts on Opti-Seal appearance here?

CharlesW
03-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Am I expecting answers too soon or am I the only member to use Opti-Seal?
It rather surprised me that no one has any opinions. :confused:

Low Tech
03-18-2008, 07:59 AM
I personally like OOS quite well. Easy to apply. I like the look by itself, as it has more depth and reflection than most other sealants I`ve used. I also use several coats over DWG for more depth.

Another major benefit for me is that it seems to shed dust quite easily, perhaps because of the slickness. Using OID or 425 enhances the low dust qualities.

I give it a 10...

RTexasF
03-18-2008, 08:19 AM
I`m enamored with it, excellent product. The cured look is much less "sterile" looking than many sealants I have used. As far as just looks go I`ve yet to find anything to beat Wolfgang but it is short lived.

CharlesW
03-18-2008, 08:44 AM
I personally like OOS quite well. Easy to apply. I like the look by itself, as it has more depth and reflection than most other sealants I`ve used. I also use several coats over DWG for more depth.

Another major benefit for me is that it seems to shed dust quite easily, perhaps because of the slickness. Using OID or 425 enhances the low dust qualities.

I give it a 10...Do you find any benefit from more than 2 coats of the OS?
If possible, I try to apply two coats of any LSP to assure complete coverage. Beyond that, I have never really been into the "more layers are better" thing. I remember reading about 20 to 50 layers of a sealant and that seemed like more of a self satisfaction or bragging rights thing than it did any actual benefit. :dunno:

I`m enamored with it, excellent product. The cured look is much less "sterile" looking than many sealants I have used. As far as just looks go I`ve yet to find anything to beat Wolfgang but it is short lived.
While I like it, I can`t say that it is my only or even my "go to" product. I seem to be happy with the results I get from several products. Including several OTC products.

keesue
03-18-2008, 10:48 AM
I have the product and have used it as a base sealant as well as on top of cured carnauba. It is easy to apply with a mf and gives good results for a minimal amout of effort and product. I use OCW on top.

CharlesW
03-18-2008, 10:28 PM
At least I am not alone in liking Opti-Seal. :)
It does surprise me that only 4 of us have used it or maybe any others just don`t care to comment. :confused:

Low Tech
03-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Do you find any benefit from more than 2 coats of the OS?

3 coats are my limit. Two ensure good coverage and is the most noticeable incremental difference. I ad a third because it is easy to apply. (And the extra third coat can`t hurt for us obsessive-compulsive types!)

But you`re right: Beyond 2 or 3 I notice no additional benefit. I just top it off periodically from there or use DWG + another coat...

CharlesW
03-18-2008, 10:58 PM
The van did get the 2 coats and if the weather cooperates, it just might get a third to satisfy my obsessive-compulsive urges. :D

CalgaryDetail
03-19-2008, 03:42 PM
your just crazy.. just kidding ofcours.

I think this is one of those in eye of the beholder things. Each person likes something diffrent, perhaps what opti-seal offers is what you like...

but i PERSONALY feel opti-seal dosent look as good as a sealent that is applied in the ussual manor (applying, allow to dry, buff off)..I dont feel the savinfs in time is worth the sacrfice of looks.. this is ofcourse how i feel

but hey, if you like it then use it

CharlesW
03-19-2008, 05:05 PM
your just crazy.. just kidding ofcours.Can`t argue with the truth. :)

I think this is one of those in eye of the beholder things. Each person likes something diffrent, perhaps what opti-seal offers is what you like...

but i PERSONALY feel opti-seal dosent look as good as a sealent that is applied in the ussual manor (applying, allow to dry, buff off)..I dont feel the savinfs in time is worth the sacrfice of looks.. this is ofcourse how i feel

but hey, if you like it then use itMy experience with sealants covers quite a few, Dura Gloss #105, EX, Finish First, Liquid Crystal, Liquid Glass, Meg`s #20, Opti-Seal, Upp, Zaino and several others that I no longer can remember.
To my eye, the differences in appearance were quite small other than the UPP. The UPP over Klasse AIO as a cleaner/prep was the closest thing to a carnauba look of any of them, but.....
They all looked good and I wouldn`t call any of them a bad product.
Carnauba waxes and regular waxes such as NXT are even worse for my ownership. I probably rival Calgary for number of products tried, but have never had a truly high end wax. $25 was probably the top end of my cost. I wouldn`t even come close to some of his purchases. Most likely wouldn`t come close with all of them totaled.
The bottom line, no single product was so great that I ditched all my others and went exclusively to it`s use.

With proper prep, they all look good. Some looked different, but none looked bad.

cwcad
03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
With proper prep, they all look good. Some looked different, but none looked bad.

Can`t argue that point either. No matter how much money is spent or how little.

Scott P
03-19-2008, 07:18 PM
It has often been said that proper prep is what makes a car look good. The wax or sealant is just icing on the cake. The overall look is is subjective by nature. What some people see as glossy, wet or deep may not be seen the same way by someone else. It`s all in how that person`s eye perceives the look.

blucpe
03-20-2008, 02:59 PM
i think you`ve all said it all albeit in different ways but the point is the same. eye of the beholder.

gokartmozart
03-22-2008, 09:48 PM

I just put on the third coat of Wolfgang DGPS and it looks very good. It been 2 weeks since the first coat and the car has not seen any rain. I wasn`t into taking such good care of my vehicles before, but I am very pleased with my paint sealant choice. Meguiars is easy to get at WalMart, but Wolfgang is my new favorite, as soon as my wife lets me order any more car care products! ;)

The Pinnacle 360 XMT polish was very nice too. Great value since I have about half the bottle left over. Will probably do my wife`s car next with it.