PDA

View Full Version : ONR Pre-Rinse

Pages : [1] 2

CharlesW
03-10-2008, 04:16 PM
DP 4 in 1 is my usual rinseless wash, but a friend gave me some ONR to try. I didn`t really see any difference between the ONR and the 4 in 1 so I thought I would try the ONR as a pre-soak at the QD ratio.
As I have often mentioned, the DIY spray wash I use doesn`t do a very good job of removing road film dirt. I wouldn`t even consider drying my vehicle with anything right after the wash. It isn`t clean, but it does knock the big chunks off so I can do a S&W or 4 in 1 wash at home to finish the job.
Today, I took the ONR/QD mix with me and sprayed down the back hatch thoroughly, before hitting it with the car wash. The back hatch is an area that the left over road film is quite noticeable after the spray wash.
My high hopes weren`t realized. It was a complete waste of time, effort and product. The road film looked just like it always does after the spray wash. :wall
Since I had the ONR/QD readily at hand, I tried using it to remove the road film left by the car wash.
This step is one where I usually use Poorboy`s S&W.
The ONR/QD mix is definitely no substitute for the S&W. (Nor does Optimum claim it to be) Another waste of time, effort and product.
It didn`t seem to allow the towel to glide across the paint. I more or less felt like it was really dragging. Didn`t grab, just didn`t move easily. It also didn`t pick up the dirt from the surface like the S&W. I was concerned enough about the feel that I stopped about 1/2 way on the hatch and finished with S&W.
The ONR/QD mix felt draggy on the window as well as the paint. The only reason I mention that is because I first thought my wax/sealant was gone. I don`t think that was the problem at all. The S&W did not drag on the paint.
The problem was my using a product for a purpose it wasn`t intended for.

black bart
03-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Interesting do you think the lack of water was the problem.
I have never used ONR but I do use S&W and
DP4-1
The only time that I have used 4-1 as a QD was on a clean panel.
I have used 4-1 mixed with water to wash the back of my pickup but it was lightly soiled and it gave good results.
Since I have a garage that is warm all winter and I have a pressure washer and it and the hose is already hooked up all I need to do is just pour soap in a bucket so I don`t do much other than a conventional wash.
What I like my 4-1 for is adding it to my soap water I really can tell the difference.

Stephan
03-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I have used ONR and S&W for the most part of the winter, as long as my car had not become caked with dirt...

I found the ONR mixed with hot water, per the mixing instructions worked fine...

When the car got very dirty I did like most, brought it to the DIY wash power washed it off, then while it was in there grabbed some MFT`s and my S&W and finished it off, that way it was dry before I went back onto the road...and the dirt didn`t restick to the water still left on rhe car.

ekkoville
03-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Question Charles: If you use the 4-1 as a rinseless wash, why not use the same dilution rate for the pre-soak? Or is that a more diluted batch? Seems the reports before on the slickness were very good on the rinseless wash.

Another question, how is the 4-1 mixture applied for the pre-soak or "S&W style" wash, by hand sprayer?
Erik

CharlesW
03-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Question Charles: If you use the 4-1 as a rinseless wash, why not use the same dilution rate for the pre-soak? Or is that a more diluted batch? Seems the reports before on the slickness were very good on the rinseless wash.

Another question, how is the 4-1 mixture applied for the pre-soak or "S&W style" wash, by hand sprayer?
Erik
The ratio for a QD uses about twice as much product as needed for a rinseless wash.
I don`t use a pre-soak when doing a regular rinseless wash. I just mix up the solution with hot water and have at it.
My thought with the pre-soak at the spray wash was that it would help the spray wash remove the road film. Didn`t work.
I had the mixture in a spray bottle. It may be a good QD and a good rinseless wash, but for me, it isn`t a substitute for S&W as a waterless wash.

CharlesW
03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Interesting do you think the lack of water was the problem.
I have never used ONR but I do use S&W and
DP4-1
The only time that I have used 4-1 as a QD was on a clean panel.
I have used 4-1 mixed with water to wash the back of my pickup but it was lightly soiled and it gave good results.
Since I have a garage that is warm all winter and I have a pressure washer and it and the hose is already hooked up all I need to do is just pour soap in a bucket so I don`t do much other than a conventional wash.
What I like my 4-1 for is adding it to my soap water I really can tell the difference.

I have used ONR and S&W for the most part of the winter, as long as my car had not become caked with dirt...

I found the ONR mixed with hot water, per the mixing instructions worked fine...

When the car got very dirty I did like most, brought it to the DIY wash power washed it off, then while it was in there grabbed some MFT`s and my S&W and finished it off, that way it was dry before I went back onto the road...and the dirt didn`t restick to the water still left on rhe car.
Both the 4 in 1 and the ONR work fine as a rinseless wash. I was just hoping it would help the spray wash by using it as a pre-rinse.
It didn`t work and I think it`s something beyond what it is intended for.
Nothing wrong with either product when used according to the instructions.

Bert
03-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Both the 4 in 1 and the ONR work fine as a rinseless wash. I was just hoping it would help the spray wash by using it as a pre-rinse.
It didn`t work and I think it`s something beyond what it is intended for.
Nothing wrong with either product when used according to the instructions.

Wouldn`t doing so dilute S&W resulting it not being as slick?

I really like ONR as a rinsless wash. It seems to give my car a better shine than 4 in 1. I have never used it as a QD since I don`t use QD`s. I just bought a hood from the junk yard to practice with my rotary on. Maybe I will wipe down one third with S&W, 1/3 with ONR QD and 1/3 with 4 in 1 QD to see what happens.

CharlesW
03-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Wouldn`t doing so dilute S&W resulting it not being as slick?I guess I`m not making myself clear.
The ONR QD pre-rinse was to help the DIY spray wash do a better job of removing road grime.
Poorboy`s S&W was not part of that process at all.

If I am using S&W, it will be all S&W. It doesn`t need anything added to it as far as I`m concerned.

I really like ONR as a rinsless wash. It seems to give my car a better shine than 4 in 1. I have never used it as a QD since I don`t use QD`s. I just bought a hood from the junk yard to practice with my rotary on. Maybe I will wipe down one third with S&W, 1/3 with ONR QD and 1/3 with 4 in 1 QD to see what happens.Interesting. I don`t think I could tell any difference between the 4 in 1 and the ONR when used as a rinseless wash.
One of the reasons for choosing 4 in 1 was the fact that a couple of posters felt it seemed to have more lubricity than the ONR. In actual use, I don`t think there is enough difference for me to even tell.
Like I said, both good rinseless washes.
Like you, I seldom use a QD and I should. I must have at least three gallons of good QDs that I am not using. I usually grab the S&W since with it, I don`t have to worry about the vehicle being too dirty for a QD.

JaredPointer
03-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Interesting. I don`t think I could tell any difference between the 4 in 1 and the ONR when used as a rinseless wash.

I can`t tell any difference between ONR and QEW either, but to say so some people act like it`s blasphemy. Maybe there`s a few drops of Zaino :bow in every bottle of ONR - kind of like a secret ingredient.

I do like ONR, just not enough to buy it and have it shipped versus buying the QEW when I am in town. I felt like the ONR made a decent QD, but nothing like a QD you can buy. I`m a QD junkie, so I have tried a good many of them, and while I think the ONR did a good job at that, I`ll probably stick with the other stuff I use.

All in all, I do keep coming back to S&W. It`s so much quicker and easier, and if the car is to dirty for an S&W session, it probably needs a bucket wash anyway.

CharlesW
03-11-2008, 07:27 AM
All in all, I do keep coming back to S&W. It`s so much quicker and easier, and if the car is to dirty for an S&W session, it probably needs a bucket wash anyway.Probably true, but not when the temperature stays between 0 and 25 degrees. :D
I can heat the garage, but I have no way to get rid of the water needed for bucket washing. That`s where the S&W and rinseless washes have really helped me in the cold months.
I know some people prefer the S&W or rinseless washes all the time, but I not only think I can do a better job when I bucket wash, it`s kind of an enjoyable thing to do on a nice warm day.

Big Leegr
03-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Have you tried Bug Squash as a pre-rinse? Steve has mentioned that it worked very well for some people. Dissolves salt residue quickly, I think he said.

Stephan
03-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Probably true, but not when the temperature stays between 0 and 25 degrees. :D
I can heat the garage, but I have no way to get rid of the water needed for bucket washing. That`s where the S&W and rinseless washes have really helped me in the cold months.
I know some people prefer the S&W or rinseless washes all the time, but I not only think I can do a better job when I bucket wash, it`s kind of an enjoyable thing to do on a nice warm day.

I am with you there...I look forward on a nice spring/summer day getting up early and going out to wash the car, for me, nothing can replace a bucket wash...ONR is a good winter substitue for us who have real winter months...

Bert
03-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Like you, I seldom use a QD and I should.

Why do you say you should? I generally feel if my paint is in need of cleaning, I will ONR wash it rather than use QD. I feel is it just safer in regards to swirling.

CharlesW
03-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Have you tried Bug Squash as a pre-rinse? Steve has mentioned that it worked very well for some people. Dissolves salt residue quickly, I think he said.
No, I haven`t, but I have heard the comment about dissolving salt residue before.
I have no real need for a "Bug Squash" product for bug removal, but it might be worth looking into as a pre-soak.
Just what I need, another detailing product. :wall

Bert
03-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Probably true, but not when the temperature stays between 0 and 25 degrees. :D

Technically isn`t a rinseless wash like ONR or 4 in 1 a bucket wash? Are you referring to a traditional wash when using a hose saying bucket wash?