PDA

View Full Version : thanks to Patrick

Poorboy
02-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Many thanks to Patrick for coming by today and hooking up my old external hard drive and recovering my lost address book :bow:bow:bow after my computer crashed a month or so ago, i lost all my contact info and was ready to start all over, but Patrick was able to hook me up and now i have all my shipping addresses back where they were... :yay:yay:yay

now all i have to do is figure out how to back all this stuff up so it doesn`t happen again :hmmm:

Beemerboy
02-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Many thanks to Patrick for coming by today and hooking up my old external hard drive and recovering my lost address book :bow:bow:bow after my computer crashed a month or so ago, i lost all my contact info and was ready to start all over, but Patrick was able to hook me up and now i have all my shipping addresses back where they were... :yay:yay:yay

now all i have to do is figure out how to back all this stuff up so it doesn`t happen again :hmmm:

External hard drive comes to mind....cheap and easy, and you can run an automated process every day / week to back up the data...I have one for my business files for that reason..

Poorboy
02-26-2008, 02:14 PM
External hard drive comes to mind....cheap and easy, and you can run an automated process every day / week to back up the data...I have one for my business files for that reason..

some day :notme: remember technology still mocks me :D

Beemerboy
02-26-2008, 02:17 PM

Well then ask Patrick to help with that or maybe he will have a better idea...all I know its not worth loosing the data if something like this is that easy to hookup and run...its saved me a few times..a good email virus can wipe out sensitive data in seconds

JaredPointer
02-26-2008, 02:21 PM
You could always set up your contacts in a web based Email account - like Gmail. I believe you can store information such as addresses, tele numbers, etc. Being web based, you could access it from anywhere. It might take some time, depending on how many contacts you have too. I am pretty sure it would at least be easy and it wouldn`t cost anything.

Poorboy
02-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Well then ask Patrick to help with that or maybe he will have a better idea...all I know its not worth loosing the data if something like this is that easy to hookup and run...its saved me a few times..a good email virus can wipe out sensitive data in seconds

You could always set up your contacts in a web based Email account - like Gmail. I believe you can store information such as addresses, tele numbers, etc. Being web based, you could access it from anywhere. It might take some time, depending on how many contacts you have too. I am pretty sure it would at least be easy and it wouldn`t cost anything.

very true:rockon

thanks

Beemerboy
02-26-2008, 02:26 PM

JP

I am an investor in a web based IT company and that`s what we do...I could everything that Steve has on his PC into a web based program, including inventory, accounting, doc control, contact info and all in less than a week integrated...let me rephrase that my partners can:D

blk45
02-26-2008, 04:26 PM

Get one of the Maxtor One-touch external hard drives. You push one button (hence the name) and it backs everything up. Then you just tell it when to do it, and it automatically updates itself. Very simple and they have a 5 yr warranty.

As easy as using the smilies. And we know you can do that! :D

Poorboy
02-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Get one of the Maxtor One-touch external hard drives. You push one button (hence the name) and it backs everything up. Then you just tell it when to do it, and it automatically updates itself. Very simple and they have a 5 yr warranty.

As easy as using the smilies. And we know you can do that! :D

yes i saw a few different models like that when i was at Staples the other day...only problem was reading all that technical stuff made me dizzy:passout:

Beemerboy
02-26-2008, 05:18 PM
yes i saw a few different models like that when i was at Staples the other day...only problem was reading all that technical stuff made me dizzy:passout:

So dose standing up to fast but what`s that got to do with it:yay

Stephan
02-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Congrats ongetting your stuff back, nice that he was able to help you out...

Reddwarf
02-26-2008, 07:34 PM
That was nice of Patrick. I guess you should call him Saint Patrick now. :rofl

You should backup. Also, for Outlook address books I highly recommend Plaxo. It is free to use and it will back up all your contacts.

awd330
02-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Steve: Try installing "Sync Toy" (freeware from Microsoft).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E0FC1154-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en

It is easy to configure this software to backup and synchronize between any two drive locations. Set it up to sync from your main hard drive to an external USB drive.

Poorboy
02-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Steve: Try installing "Sync Toy" (freeware from Microsoft).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E0FC1154-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en

It is easy to configure this software to backup and synchronize between any two drive locations. Set it up to sync from your main hard drive to an external USB drive.

:huh::idea:hmmm:...when are you coming back? :passout:

awd330
02-26-2008, 10:35 PM
:huh::idea:hmmm:...when are you coming back? :passout:

Probably the very end of March.