PDA

View Full Version : New car coming. Need opinions...

gokartmozart
02-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi all.

I am set to receive the Z4 M Coupe I ordered last month and after lots of looking around, have decided on the following course of action:

(Asked the dealer not to wash/wax it, just remove the plastic, protective films and bubble wrap).

1. Wash with Meguire`s Gold Class Wash
2. rinse with de-ionized water
3. Apply XMT 360 polish
4. Apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (2 or more coats?)

Then apply Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Wax, or the remaining Wolfgang sealant, perhaps alternate every 2 weeks.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the products or method?

Thanks in advance. -David in Houston

black bart
02-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi all.

I am set to receive the Z4 M Coupe I ordered last month and after lots of looking around, have decided on the following course of action:

(Asked the dealer not to wash/wax it, just remove the plastic, protective films and bubble wrap).

1. Wash with Meguire`s Gold Class Wash
2. rinse with de-ionized water
3. Apply XMT 360 polish
4. Apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (2 or more coats?)

Then apply Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Wax, or the remaining Wolfgang sealant, perhaps alternate every 2 weeks.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the products or method?

Thanks in advance. -David in HoustonSounds OK other than I would use a plastic bag and check for the smoothness of the finish it may need claying.
Sometimes new vehicles are deliver by rail and have rail dust

jaybs02
02-23-2008, 04:44 PM
I agree with Bart, claying would not hurt.
If you were going that far I would have asked the dealer to leave the plastic on the car.

You can apply a sealant and can top it with a wax, but once you wax it in order to reapply a sealant you must strip it otherwise the sealant won`t be able to bond properly with the paint.

BTW what color is it?

"J"

black bart
02-23-2008, 05:08 PM
I have heard of cases where the dealer went ahead and had it washed when ask NOT to because they came in really dirty.
I guess if those clowns do wash it you can remove the swirls after you get it but I would tell them again just to be sure they understand that you do NOT want then screwing with it.:wall

Reddwarf
02-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I agree with the others, you may want to clay it. You may already know this, but you need to allow the Wolfgang DGS to dry for 12+ hours before another coat or topping it with wax. I recommend two coats of the WDGS. Then you can top it with the wax.

Post some pics!

gokartmozart
02-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Says like good advise. Will clay it and apply two coats of WDGS (waiting a day to reapply), then the GC wax (staying indoors the whole time). The salesman assured me it will not be touched by the porter nor holes drilled in the front for plate holder. I REALLY hope he is correct.

Oh, the color is Alpine White (Imola Red napa leather with "carbon leather" trim interior). My dream car, absolutely.

Here is another white one (love the vanity plate!)...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/gokartmozart69/z4atring.jpg

And my other rides...

1961 Ford Ranchero truck drying in the Texas sun...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/gokartmozart69/IMG_0613.jpg

1973 Norton Commando

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/gokartmozart69/IMG_0596.jpg

CharlesW
02-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Nice rides! :bigups:bigups:bigups
Just my opinion, but I would probably skip the Gold Class wax. Nothing against the GC, but like "J" said, once you top with the wax, you can`t apply more sealant without removing the wax.
Take a look at the finish after the two coats of WDGS. You might not want anything more.
Then just use the WDGS once a month.

Pander5
02-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Nice couple of classics ya got there!

gokartmozart
02-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Nice rides! :bigups:bigups:bigups
Just my opinion, but I would probably skip the Gold Class wax. Nothing against the GC, but like "J" said, once you top with the wax, you can`t apply more sealant without removing the wax.
Take a look at the finish after the two coats of WDGS. You might not want anything more.
Then just use the WDGS once a month.

Thanks Charles, I guess I will do the coats of WDGS and hold off on the wax purchase for now.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Reddwarf
02-24-2008, 02:01 PM
It really depends on the look you want. The WDGS will give you a glossy shine with some depth. If you want more of a wet look you may need to apply a wax LSP. But I agree with Charles, check out the look after the WDGS and see what you think. You can always top with a wax in the future.

Great looking stable of machines you go there. That 61 Ford needs some WDGS too! And the Norton is sweet!