PDA

View Full Version : Leather or Vinyl?

CharlesW
02-18-2008, 02:58 PM
The leather seating in many cars is only partly leather covered. Often just the actual seating area with the sides and backs being vinyl. It is not uncommon for the rear passenger area to be all vinyl.

My question is:
How do you tell the difference between the leather and the vinyl areas?
The last three "leather" vehicles I have owned had coated leather and I`m not sure I could tell what areas were leather and what areas were vinyl. I have never really tried to tell the difference, but I have been told that it isn`t that hard to tell.
OK, then how do I tell the difference. It was also mentioned that the stitching may be different.
Anyone know for sure?

Loooong winter. :D

Poorboy
02-18-2008, 03:04 PM
The leather seating in many cars is only partly leather covered. Often just the actual seating area with the sides and backs being vinyl. It is not uncommon for the rear passenger area to be all vinyl.

My question is:
How do you tell the difference between the leather and the vinyl areas?
The last three "leather" vehicles I have owned had coated leather and I`m not sure I could tell what areas were leather and what areas were vinyl. I have never really tried to tell the difference, but I have been told that it isn`t that hard to tell.
OK, then how do I tell the difference. It was also mentioned that the stitching may be different.
Anyone know for sure?

Loooong winter. :D

certainly looks like it`s a cold winter in Iowa :D

CharlesW
02-18-2008, 03:20 PM
certainly looks like it`s a cold winter in Iowa :D
Define cold.
It`s 9 degrees with about a foot of snow and ice on the ground right now. Supposed to be below zero for a few nights and then warm up enough for the snow to be freezing rain by Sunday.
This is the worst overall winter I remember in several years.

By the way, do you know how to tell the leather from the vinyl? :)

Poorboy
02-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Define cold.
It`s 9 degrees with about a foot of snow and ice on the ground right now. Supposed to be below zero for a few nights and then warm up enough for the snow to be freezing rain by Sunday.
This is the worst overall winter I remember in several years.

By the way, do you know how to tell the leather from the vinyl? :)

we are having a Spring day of 62* but soon to be 22* ..cleaned the truck and then had Pockets change the oil and clean the interior:D

you should be able to tell by site and by grain too.
The leather should be a heavier and thicker hide.:hmmm:

CharlesW
02-18-2008, 03:46 PM
we are having a Spring day of 62* but soon to be 22* ..cleaned the truck and then had Pockets change the oil and clean the interior:D

you should be able to tell by site and by grain too.
The leather should be a heavier and thicker hide.:hmmm:
That is 62 above isn`t it? :D

My thought was that the grain should be more random in the leather where the vinyl would tend to have a repeating pattern.
When it hits 62 degrees, I`ll check that out. :)
Heck, I`d be happy with 32 degrees. :wall

Poorboy
02-18-2008, 04:38 PM
That is 62 above isn`t it? :D

My thought was that the grain should be more random in the leather where the vinyl would tend to have a repeating pattern.
When it hits 62 degrees, I`ll check that out. :)
Heck, I`d be happy with 32 degrees. :wall

Yeah that`s above:rockon ...a rare day of sun, thunderstorms and then overnight freeze:eek:

yes, i would agree.. the leather would be random and the vinyl would have a cleaner grain:)

Bunky
02-18-2008, 06:23 PM
As for the original question, I can look closely at the material and tell the difference. Maybe my vinyl is just not as good so I can tell. It is definitely only in the seating areas. The sides, back, and head rest are vinyl. I think you had a good light you could see the difference in texture. In the rear seat although it claims to sit 3, I think only see two leather sections.