PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions please

Ray in Kingwood
02-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Hi Fellers.......

Well I order the Flex advanced bundle an am waiting for the delivery

I have 2 vehicles I want to use it on.

I would like suggestions from you pro`s as to what you recommend on how to proceed.

I have read hours on this doggone forum now...(must be the digital cocaine ;) )

and could not seem to get away...:bigups

The first is a new Tahoe. I will clay it toget rid of a minor amount of latex overspray and would then like to "finish" the paint properly. It only has 2100 miles on it and is new.....so I figgered I would ask and how to properly proceed with a good paint job to start with.

The second vehicle is a 94 Ford truck with only 38 thousand miles I gave to my son.
It has a white paint job in very good shape but it shows its age having spent all its life outside...and most washings were with dishwash soap....

Yes I read how to wash a car here...I never knew how WRONG I had been doing things. I did however graduate a year or so ago and starting using car wash.....

Great forum.....I have been learning a lot in the shorty few days I have been here......and reading a BUNCH!:rockon

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I have NO CLUE which product to use as I dont know which ya`ll prefer other than reading here......so reccomendations there would be nice too...

Thank you again
:inspector:

RANDAL
02-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Well beingsno one else has replied. The Tahoe: rinse off first, 2 bucket wash wit high quality car wash product (what i use is Malco CW37, I also like Poorboys super slick suds). 2nd clay barwith lube(I use Poorboys Spray and wipe followed with a new MF towel one panel at a time). 3rd with bethe paint correction, which the Tahoe probably doesnt to badly, (those products I use in that step are MALCOs rejuvenator, and 3 POORBOYS WEORLD Products Pro Polis, SSR1 and SSR2.5. 4th step asealant but y favorite is Poorboys polish with sealant, which I need ore of and am waiting for a SALEon this. 5th step would be a Last Step Product (LSP on here) sometimes I have time for one ad soeties i dont. All 3 Nattys waxes are or could be used here, soe Poorboys spray and gloss, Malco show and shine, these just add a little bling. WE use these LSP products following a wash between full cleanup of our own vehicles. I livein IOWA an right now its 2 degrees with about -20 windcill out of the north. (at leastthewind isnt out of the south thaT REALLY FREEZES THINGS UP WHEN ITS THIS COLD. RANDAL

cwcad
02-10-2008, 09:38 AM
My suggestion is to pick a product line that is available from one of the forum sponsors and get to know how the whole product line works.

One can pick and choose between product lines and get results but it can become complicated if one is starting out as a newbie.

You must first become educated as to how to evaluate your paint condition. The needs for your new vehicle will be different than the needs of your sons vehicle.

I have tried a plethora of product lines and after thousands of dollars spent I settled down to one product line that I have become comfortable using for paint correction. I still try new sealants because of the constant urge to find the best shine or longevity or durability or what ever trait that trips your trigger.

With your Flex you will need Swirl removers, paint cleaner, and a sealant or wax as your LSP. I would suggest a good quick detail spray for maintainence in between washes. Also purchase a supply of MF towels for all of the above processes. The most important thing is to protect your paint. All the correction processes can come at any time. Use the forum sponsors to get you headed in the right direction. Give them a call and state your case.

jaybs02
02-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi Ray, if I didn`t say hi before :howdy

Since you have read about the correct way to wash, lets move onto the next steps

Clay- This will help remove over spray, IFO, and other surface contaminants. You would be amazed how much filth can come off the surface even after cleaning. I do it about every 6 months.

Cleaning and Polishing- These are my definitions and are open to opinion and/or debate.

Cleaning- Use of a chemical polish to prepare the surface, generally doesn`t do much in the way of paint correction, but will leave you with an excellent surface to apply your LSP.

I will generally use either a polishing or finishing pad. the purpose of this step is to have a nice clean surface to work with

Polishing (The paint correction stage)- Use of an abrasive polish, to remove swirls, micro-marring, halograms and such.

This is the trickier stage, you must determine which combination of pad and product to use. Always start with the least aggressive combo first. Sometimes you are better off making a couple of passes with a less aggressive combo than, going at it with a compound and a cutting pad just to have to go over it again to remove the marring left from the more aggressive approach.
When using a PC, UDM or Flex work in a 2x2 area, moving slowly over the surface overlapping in each pass. Work in |- / \ pattern, this way you literally cover all angles

Some people will clean before they polish others will clean after they polish. Some will only clean or only polish. It depends on the condition of the vehicle.

After you have removed the paint defects and prepared the surface you are ready for your LSP. This is where it becomes personal by your choice of either Carnuaba or sealant. Each one has it`s own characteristic, so choose the one that meets the look and properties that you want.

Hope this helps
Good luck and don`t forget to post some pics when you are done.

"J"

Ray in Kingwood
02-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Thank you so much guyz!

black bart
02-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi Fellers.......

Well I order the Flex advanced bundle an am waiting for the delivery

I have 2 vehicles I want to use it on.

I would like suggestions from you pro`s as to what you recommend on how to proceed.

I have read hours on this doggone forum now...(must be the digital cocaine ;) )

and could not seem to get away...:bigups

The first is a new Tahoe. I will clay it toget rid of a minor amount of latex overspray and would then like to "finish" the paint properly. It only has 2100 miles on it and is new.....so I figgered I would ask and how to properly proceed with a good paint job to start with.

The second vehicle is a 94 Ford truck with only 38 thousand miles I gave to my son.
It has a white paint job in very good shape but it shows its age having spent all its life outside...and most washings were with dishwash soap....

Yes I read how to wash a car here...I never knew how WRONG I had been doing things. I did however graduate a year or so ago and starting using car wash.....

Great forum.....I have been learning a lot in the shorty few days I have been here......and reading a BUNCH!:rockon

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I have NO CLUE which product to use as I dont know which ya`ll prefer other than reading here......so reccomendations there would be nice too...

Thank you again
:inspector:This will give you some good info.
Ideal for someone just learning.
http://home.comcast.net/~michael.cohen1/Detailing_Hand_Book.pdf

cwcad
02-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Black Bart....Excellent source by MikeyC. I had heard of his detailing book but had never actually read it. He is a member here and at other forums. Thanks very much!!

black bart
02-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Black Bart....Excellent source by MikeyC. I had heard of his detailing book but had never actually read it. He is a member here and at other forums. Thanks very much!!When people ask me about detailing I always refer them to this site.
For a newbie it is excellent because everything is in one place and well done.
THANKS MIKEY C

Ray in Kingwood
02-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Wow.....awesome thanksBB!!