PDA

View Full Version : To Tape or not to Tape?

Pages : [1] 2

Beemerboy
02-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I`m hoping this is close to the right forum.

Anywho...I don`t tape my cars off that much, it really depends on what type of trim the car has, that determines that...If I think there is any chance of marring the trim or rubber then I cover those areas, or I am just real careful as to what I am doing.

If taping an area is to keep sling from getting into an crevasse, then I don`t...I feel like I can get the product out faster than the time it takes me to tape that off.

The pics I`ve seen posted here and other sites, some really go all out and tape a lot of the car.

I spend on an average 5 to 6 hours on one car, without taping, based on what I see with some they are adding a good amount of time just in the taping.

Is this a necessary step or do some take it to the extreme?

Thanks!

Brenton
02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Trim:
1. Hard to clean
2. Expensive to replace
3. Hard on the pads

Those are the 3 key reasons I tape for anything more than a two-stage, or when I`m cutting in around those areas. I also pop out the windshield washer nipples. I`d remove door handles, but that takes a long time and I don`t know how ... so I don`t.

But a light cut and glaze or something like that, I would tape. I uses soft cardboard covering the windshield wiper area to keep sling off.

Beemerboy
02-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Trim:
1. Hard to clean
2. Expensive to replace
3. Hard on the pads

Those are the 3 key reasons I tape for anything more than a two-stage, or when I`m cutting in around those areas. I also pop out the windshield washer nipples. I`d remove door handles, but that takes a long time and I don`t know how ... so I don`t.

But a light cut and glaze or something like that, I would tape. I uses soft cardboard covering the windshield wiper area to keep sling off.

Thanks

I use a sun visor thing on the windshield, the ones that go inside the window in the summer....works like a charm

CharlesW
02-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Just a hobby detailer, but I don`t tape anything and have never had a problem because of not doing it.
But,
I only use a PC. If I were using a rotary that might change my thinking. Even then, I think I would do very little taping because of the time it would take. :dunno:

Stephan
02-05-2008, 01:52 PM
I tape whenever I can as it saves time on any type of cleanup afterwords, and it prevents or can help to prevent damage to items such as trim. Once you start taping enough it becomes easy and it doesn`t take much time at all. You actually find your self ripping off almost the exact length you need.

Poorboy
02-05-2008, 02:23 PM
I prefer to put a dressing on the trim first and then nothing will stick to it. The worst case scenario is redoing the dressing. For the cowl area, placing damp towels or rags over the plastic trim definitely saves clean up time.:)

cwcad
02-05-2008, 05:34 PM
I only tape if the owner of the vbehicle requests it. If they do request taping they have to pay for my time doing it. On my own vehicle I tend to stay away from trim because I hate to clean it off.

Pander5
02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I`ve gotten pretty quick at taping however I`ll admit that I`m using a rotary and have had a few burn throughs to teach me it is a necessary precaution. I tape to both protect trim and plastic pieces and to protect my pad from picking up any black stuff from rubber, black plastics etc.

Once taped I`m confidently buffing away!

jaybs02
02-05-2008, 08:21 PM
I was wondering the same thing as beemer, I noticed that some people do and other don`t.
I generally keep from the edges, I`m more concerned with my pads getting caught on the badges. But I think it would take me longer to tape off the car than to clean the trim, but thats just me.

"J"

Troy@Protekt
02-05-2008, 08:44 PM
When using a rotary especially with wool pads, it is always smart to tape as much off as you can. There is no other option when you have to buff right up to emblems and mouldings. I rarely tape off when using a D/A though. I don`t find it necessary. That`s when treating the trim instead is a good idea IMO.

Good question tu.... :hmmm: beemerboy!:bigups

:gotcha:

Beemerboy
02-05-2008, 08:47 PM
When using a rotary especially with wool pads, it is always smart to tape as much off as you can. There is no other option when you have to buff right up to emblems and mouldings. I rarely tape off when using a D/A though. I don`t find it necessary. That`s when treating the trim instead is a good idea IMO.

Good question tu.... :hmmm: beemerboy!:bigups

:gotcha:

Thanks

I agree that with a rotary that I will tape certain areas off, the sling factor is one and the heat that it creates can burn some trim or rubber areas...if its a PC job then no I don`t what so ever

agentm
02-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I want to tap if I`m not lazy. Tapping is a good practice because especially with rotory polisher. No matter how good you are , there still be mistake or accident that product can get into the gaps or trim. I feel a little worry free when I do use tape.

Fishpimp
03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
To tape or not to tape is the question. To pay or not to pay. To cringe or not to cringe.

I`ve skipped taping, I have cringed and I have paid.

So for me to not tape is death.

Stephan
03-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I have not taped a few times, and those times I wish I had, I usually always tape now especially if I have to use the rotary.

dr_detail
03-04-2008, 08:58 PM
I`m hopin` to see a tape of that 5min wash

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl :rofl